SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amidnightsoul

Purpleleaf Sand Cherry with borers?

Mary (zone 5b)
3 years ago

Hi all,

I've had a Purpleleaf Sand Cherry in my back

yard for many years (probably 8+ years). It's always done great until last year. I'm in Northern Colorado and we had a very early freeze and a very late freeze last year. We also had a late freeze this year. Last year, during its normal spring timeframe, it started to leaf out, then we had the late freeze and the new growth shriveled up and died so it remained leafless all last year. It wasn't unusual for my area. Many shrubs & trees had the same issue all over the area.

This year, it seems only one large branch (not the main or largest) is leafing out and flowering. That branch doesn't seem affected by this years late freeze. The rest of the branches appear bare. While I was looking at it to see if there was new growth on any other branches, I noticed some holes on the largest/main branch and some other areas that are round in shape with missing bark, but there's not a hole. All of these holes/barkless areas seem to be on the same branch (not the other branches).

There's no sap coming out of the holes and I see no bugs around the plant, and didn't detect any holes or bugs last year.

Do these look like borer holes? If so, what should I do to treat? Also, in terms of the leafless branches, if they are not easily bendable, should I prune them back? I would like to try and baby this bush along, but I'm not sure how. It was a rough year for plants last year in my area. I have an Amur Maple in my front yard that got hit with the late freeze also and is coming back this year, but appears to be sprouting new branches, rather than new leaves on the existing branches-no holes in the branches, so I'd rather not lose my two favorite specimens the same year. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.: Please ignore the weeds. I've been avoiding pulling weeds around the bush so as not to disturb it until I figure out the right course of action.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996