SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_694070844

Should I remove the walls bordering my living room?

HU-694070844
3 years ago

I’m looking for ways to boost the value and update the interior of my 1950s home. I want to use this place as a second home/short term rental property so I want the layout to make sense but I don’t need to over index on time or money. I just want to modernize.

Wall #1, has a fireplace and is located between the living room and the kitchen that I hesitate to move because the indoor circuit breaker panel is right next to it in the kitchen and of course the fireplace is there so I’m thinking it is load bearing. This house is in FL so there’s really no need for a fireplace, I’m not sure why it’s there in the first place.

My thoughts for this wall are if I can’t fully remove it, I’d at least like to widen the doorway to the kitchen a bit to give the open illusion. If I keep the wall I would place the TV on the wall with the fireplace. If I knockdown the wall I would place the TV on the other living room wall which could be an odd layout because the fireplace seems more of a standard focal point.

Wall #2, isn’t really a full wall, it already has an opening to it like a window but it serves to separate entryway from the living room which have different floor types (terrazzo and marble) that I don’t intend to change right now to keep costs down. Originally I was thinking of keeping it and just repainting the walls/staining the wood but I would love to hear other opinions.

What do you think? Keep or remove the walls?

Comments (3)