SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
like_jane

Seeking Advice on Installing New Oak Floors on top of Old Oak Floors

like_jane
3 years ago

I have a 1966, 1700sq ft home. On part of the house is 1966 Red Oak 1 1/2" flooring covered in carpet. In 2006, Red Oak 3 1/4" flooring was put in the other half of the house that did NOT have oak flooring (just subfloors).

I now want to take out the carpet (and tile entry) and match the Red Oak 3 1/2" flooring. I do not want 2 different size floorings (so I don't want to use the old 1 1/2") and there is a 3/4" height gap between the floors once you take the carpet out, and no I do not want height transitions where the floors meet up. Its a small house and having one consistent and level flooring makes sense and looks best.

The question is can I just put new oak on top of old oak flooring?? The old flooring and newer flooring are running in the same direction and I want the new flooring to flow in the same direction as the floors do meet up in 2 locations...right off the entryway into the kitchen and in the hallway.

I have had 2 quotes given and chat with a third installer on the phone. One tells me all I need is the felt fabric down and put the new floors down and they should line up. (Though putting them perpendicular would be better he said, but then I have the flooring going in 2 different directions and that would not look good as they meet up)

The other wants to put a thicker material in between the floors and I will have height transitions and again I don't want that either.

The third wants to rip out the old floors and put in new subfloors. He said too he wants to put in thicker material and said that there would be issues due to contracting of the boards of the old floor due to cold and heat. (I live in NJ) Now that really blows my budget. As I wanted to refinish the 2006 floors and go with another color when the new floors are put in.

So I do want to do the job right but there is a budget.

See the photos to see about transitions between the carpet (old wood) and the newer floors (Entryway into kitchen and the hallway) The hight transition under the carpet.

Comments (2)