SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_481725727

Can someone help my ID my hydrangeas?

cct
4 years ago

We moved in to our house in November 2018. At this time, our four hydrangea bushes were still tall and brown. My husband trimmed them back that winter, and they grew to be big and beautiful with many blooms the next summer. He trimmed them the same way and roughly the same time this past winter. As of now (early May, and living in zone 6b), two of the bushes have started to grow back well (full with lots of new growth and leaves), one bush is growing back halfway (literally half of it has new growth and green leaves, and half doesn't), and then one bush is doing practically nothing (I noticed a few but not many new branches, but no leaves yet - it's like it just stopped).

I think we have panicle hydrangeas, because the blooms are more of a cone shape and because they did well with our first winter pruning, but the only thing that hangs me up is that the blooms stay white/light green the whole season - they never change to any other color. I'm wanting to ID them to make sure that we've been caring for them properly. I tried to find a few pictures. I was hoping I had more than I'm finding, but I did find a few. Any thoughts?

And do you think our one bush is doomed? What about the bush with half growth? Is it still too early to tell - maybe the center one is just running behind? I can't recall if any of they ran behind last year, though I don't think I remember that happening.

It's cold and rainy today, but I can take pictures of the four bushes in their current states tomorrow if that's helpful.

Comments (9)