SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethdeth

Help choosing paint color to paint ugly 80s-era wood built-in bookcase

bethdeth
3 years ago

My husband and I are renting a home in Austin that we selected for schools and location, not aesthetics! It was built in 1980, and though the house is quite comfortable it still has much of the original cabinetry and light fixtures. We've talked the owner into letting us update it with some paint, and are trying to figure out a color for the living room walls and built-ins that will complement the brick fireplace (which we don't want to paint over). We're building the room around our Anne Packard seascape that hangs on an adjoining wall. Looking for ideas. Photos attached of the fireplace/bookshelves and the picture.

Questions/thoughts

- originally, I had thought we would paint the bookshelves the same color as the trim ( a creamy white, you can see it on the back of the front door to the right), but I think that might too light

- do we paint the mantel as well as the shelves?

- thoughts on paint color for the walls? Right now it is a light greige, kind of like Benjamin Moore Abalone, and a bit clashy with the bricks

(Note: this image doesn't reproduce the color exactly right, it is less yellow than it looks here)

Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County