SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
housemeetshome

Seeking curb appeal and courtyard feedback (Zone 9a, Sunset 11)

Elle L
3 years ago

Hi, I posted previously in the trees forum about planting a couple new trees in our front yard, which sort of snowballed into coming up with a cohesive curb appeal plan. I received some amazing feedback on the tree selection and design, so I've come back with a few designs and would love to hear if I'm heading in the right direction 1. to improve the somewhat awkward "zones" between hard and soft scape in the front yard and 2. If I'm missing an opportunity in the courtyard and middle planter area since this is what is stumping me the most?

I'm posting a current picture as-is and then a very amateur photoshop version with some of the improvements I'm considering. Thank you in advance for any feedback!

BEFORE:

My big challenges: 1. The yard is divided into two sections by my driveway and there isn't any cohesion, plus the walkway splits through the left side leaving me with a strange patch of land in the middle. 2. The left side is totally bare and I want a more inviting feel. 3. Lastly, we added a courtyard and planned to put a border around the whole thing with plantings, so I don't want to make the wrong choice here. I received some suggestions to add a curve to the walkway or fill in the space between the courtyard and walk, so we have reached out to a contractor and are waiting for pricing on the additional material and labor. In the meantime, I'm wondering if I can work with the hardscape as-is and add plants to give me the feel I'm after. I also wanted to do something with that middle section and just can't seem to find the right fit, hence the solid turf in the center in my mock up!

AFTER IDEA:

Some home improvements we are planning to make: Replace front door, non-functional side gate, and garage doors, and paint all the red brick the same color as the house. I've added the blue because I think I want a little color and windows to the garage doors because that section feels so imposing to me, but I'm not married to those ideas. We'll also be limbing up the elm tree on the right so you can see our home per the suggestions from my prior post. I did my best with the image there. We want to add a street tree on the left side (Platanus Hispanica) and I like a courtyard tree (multi-trunk Redbud). I'd also like to add something against the back wall for interest and layer- was considering trying an espalier dwarf lemon.

Here is an up-close of the left side (this middle space between the courtyard and walkway is 5' deep and my original idea was to cut a border around the whole thing to continue planting space and separate the lawn from this area):

I know the planters in my mock up are way overfilled. I was working with images I could find of similar colors or shapes I like (pallet of mixed greens, white, purple, and maybe some orange). My husband wants a short fence in front of the courtyard but I would prefer plants to act as a screen/divider. We definitely want some privacy in this area and not totally open to the street, but we still want to see the house and enhance it. And that center spot? Still unsure. I kind of want to put a tree in there but I feel it would block my whole front door.

Comment (1)