SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ethan_zinkowski

New monstera deliciosa parent. Help!

Ethan Z
3 years ago

Hello Houzz-plant community,

I've read through these discussion threads for plant advice many times, but this is my first time posting.

I recently acquired a monstera deliciosa from a friend who had rooted a cutting from his large plant. The cutting was living in water for a couple months and grew a couple of new leaves during that time.

Here is the plant before coming to me

I kept the cutting in this container for two weeks. I had read elsewhere that it helps the roots to adapt if you gradually mix in a bit of potting soil, so I did that and it didn't seem to mind. The plant also started to put out an aerial root during this two week period. I placed it on top of my dresser, which is four-and-a-half feet back from a window that faces pretty much due south (a bit beyond the frame of the photo below).

After two weeks I transferred the cutting into a pot. That was four days ago and the plant does not seem to be adjusting well to its new conditions. In that short time one leaf has already turned yellow and it looks to me like a second is starting to as well. I put it in a mix of about 75% normal potting soil and 25% cactus/succulent soil. I gave it a thorough watering after potting and the soil is still quite moist.

Immediately after potting:

Four days later:

My initial response to this type of thing tends to be to panic and try to correct the problem (not knowing what it might actually be). I don't want to do that if this is just a matter of the cutting getting acclimated and I need to just let it be for now. But if there is something obvious that I am missing that will curtail what looks like the demise of this plant then I'd like to be able to help it. Since this was given to me by my friend who took the time and care to root the cutting, I am more invested in trying to help it thrive.

Is it not getting enough light? Too much? Does it need more water? Less? Fertilizer? Nothing?! Please help!

Comments (2)