SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurajean_rebhan

Hello I have a browning sod dilemma and need help ASAP!!!!

LJ Rebhan
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Everyone! I have never used a discussion forum like this before but I am desperate. I am quarantined with an immunodeficient child. I live in a building where people are not social distancing, wearing gloves, etc. it's pretty much a big old party and business as usual. That being said, we don't go out of the front door. I built a bathroom, for the dog, on the balcony so that we don't have to go outside for any reason. I have tried both types of sod...I don't know how many there are, but the first type I used was like little "plugs" already in a tray. The second type was much heavier with a lot more muddy like soil underneath and much more difficult to manage and maintain. I have gone back to the sod in the trays. It was delivered Sunday and is already starting to brown. I know this is a temporary situation, but I was hoping to do something, anything to get the sod to last longer. I am protecting it from the sun as best I can, until my large patio umbrella arrives tomorrow (I'm in florida in blazing heat and relentless sun!). I pour water over the Sod but I'm not sure how often I should do this and how much. I've just been taking gallons of water out there and sprinkling it on. I have never gardened, planted, grown, etc. NOTHING. I have zero knowledge. This has been an incredible solution to a very difficult situation but I need it to last longer. I just took one of the trays into the tub and was watering it down to flush the pee through it and to maintain some moisture. should I try to plant the sod in some tub like apparatus, in soil, with some fertilizer or whatever you use to "feed" the soil?! I know I sound like a babbling idiot and I'm not using the appropriate language for landscaping, gardening, green genius but I need help! Due to the severity of my son's health we are looking at (at least) one or two more months of quarantine and this could get very expensive! I lost my job when everything shut down. So I built this bathroom using my bed frame, storage tub / container lids (that I drilled holes in for water and pee drainage and I'm doing everything I can do make this work. PLEASE ADVISE!!!!

Comments (4)