SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raffaella_heath

Help designing my front yard - 7b full sun

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello everyone! I would love some help/advice as I am new to zone 7 and I cannot visit the local nursery due to covid-19 closure. We are completing a whole exterior makeover this month. The house will be soon painted charcoal/navy with white trim and shutters. I'd love to use a soft color palette (white/pink/purple) with lots of vibrant evergreen.

Like these inspirations:

I also like a well defined design and some symmetry.

Here is my house today. It faces south.

Right side (from the wall down):

Layer 1 - My landscaper suggested Camellias but... will they take full sun? I would love to grow Star Jasmine as a hedge as we do in my country Italy. What else could I put here as a flowering evergreen plant? Maybe Lavender Rhododendron or Indian Hawthorn?

Layer 2 - Knock-out Roses

Layer 3 - Soft Touch Holly with Sweet Romance Lavender in between.

Middle area:

Two small evergreen trees (any suggestion?) with two large planters on each side of the staircase. I am thinking Gardenia Kleim’s Hardy and Phlox. (otherwise?)

Left Side:

Roses all around the Crape Mirtle. Maybe some Echinacea, Dwarf Russian Sage, Gaura Whirling Butterfly.

Sides:

We are planning to alternate camellias and hydrangeas on the sides of the house. Hopefully the one close to the front porch will do ok with afternoon sun.

Back: Some Confederate Jasmine and Ligastrum Japonica as a privacy fence on the back.

I may try to do this on the borders because it's so pretty!

What do you think overall? Good/bad plan? any improvements/changes?

Comments (18)