SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9075264

British Colonial advice please!

User
3 years ago

Hi all!

I’m in a new (to me) home The family room immediately gave me an island/vacation vibe, so, Im going with British Colonial throughout the main living areas-maybe all of it eventually. I want that touch of gracious, elegant formality, but, I also want it all to feel really comfortable and serene.

I’ve been lurking on Houzz for a few weeks now, and you guys are so incredibly helpful to everyone-I’m hoping to get some ideas and honest advice! Photos attached.

In the family room, everything except the round end table next to the sofa and the large palm tree will be exiled to the bonus room.

I’m working on dark woods, bamboo, wicker, and green plants to incorporate. Blue isn’t one of my favorite colors-I tend to gravitate to warms...corals, raspberry, etc-, but, I think I‘ll enjoy chinoiserie, because its a darker blue-not light. So, I’ll work on that down the road.

I just bought the round bamboo end table and the large (fake) palm in the corner, off of fb mktplc. I just bought the foyer bench off fb, too. The seat bench has a burnished golden ostrich leather top covering.

Please jump in with your thoughts/ideas!

My thoughts:

The living room rug that’s there now is 8x10...I think I need 9x12.

The corner fireplace and large tv on the adjacent wall make furniture placement tricky. Please ignore the Christmas decor that my husband put up there!

So far, I've decided to get a larger sofa-the one there now is a loveseat and it feels small. I like it facing the tv wall.

I want to get two accent chairs and put them side by side facing the back windows. (Love, love, LOVE spindle chairs!)

I want to put a larger chair and larger side table (small cabinet maybe?) in front of the back windows, at an angle next to the fireplace-where the recliner is now. I feel like it would help to have a larger chair and larger table or cabinet there, to balance the two spindle (?) chairs on the opposite side. I like the angle that the recliner is at now in the room. It feels like It plays nicely with both the corner fireplace, the tv wall, and the rest of the furniture grouping.

I've ordered an 8x10 Seagrass rug for the screened porch that’s just off the small dining area beyond the stairs. I’m also going to do sea grass on the stairs, with black stair rods....to sort of tie the screened porch into the main area of the house-but using the same neutral in both places.

The stair rail was painted black when we moved in and at first I didn’t care for it, but now I feel like it works with the black granite counter In the kitchen. So, as I’m figuring things out In the different rooms, I’m focusing on using touches of black as accents. Hence, the black stair rods.

I have golden wood floors, which are light, not dark-like typical BC. But, the back of the house only gets morning light. Would you put a lighter rug in the family room area to help it feel lighter or would you not worry about it and go for a darker oriental or something to mimic the typical darker wood floors. Also, i’d really like to have a creamy couch (scared of white even with no children) and some type of print accent chairs (not sure what yet).

Lastly, I’m unsure of what length to use as a foyer runner. The first section of hallway from the front door is 5’8” by 15’2”. There‘a an ac vent at the door,-takes up @ 7 inches of width. Would you do a 4x14? Two 4x6s? Would you put artwork above bench? An umbrella holder? A table/lamp?

Thanks for reading!

Comments (3K)