SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Anyone grow and use seckel pears vs bartlett? vs. crabapple?

l pinkmountain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

The pandemic is causing me to rethink my landscaping. I'm more and more seeing light and photosynthesis as tangible assets and want to maximize their utility in my yard. Originally I had only some minor plans for adding some edible elements to my landscaping, but now I'm looking for additional sunny options and additional ideas of low maintenance edibles to grow in those spots. For example, the spot where I had considered growing a Juneberry/Amelanchier surrounded by blueberries, I'm thinking maybe just one pear tree. I'm choosing pear because the spot is in the middle of an area of the yard that gets wet, but only when it rains, it's not a continuously wet spot, just right in the middle of the roof drainage path. I read pears are one of the most water tolerant of the fruit trees. That and apple, but I live in the land of apple orchards so not as hep on that. I could go for a crab apple, but so far haven't been able to find a reliable source that has one in stock I want to buy. Same with pears really. I can get a bartlett easy peasy at the local lawn and garden, but not seckel, that I would have to special order.

Seckel appeals to me because it is a US native, and also maybe easier to grow? I worked at a place that had a seckel pear tree growing in the yard outside, it wasn't impressive as far as the yield, nor the pears, but I know they are for storing and cooking, not fresh eating. On the flip side, growing up our neighbor had an old barlett pear in her yard that she did nothing to, and some years there were more pears than anyone could possibly keep up with. It was not a nice looking tree however, to my taste. It was a full sized one, and where I am thinking of putting it, I only have room for a dwarf or semi-dwarf one.

Anyone have any personal experience with these pears who could shed some light on my pros and cons? How about in comparison to a crab apple. The big plus for me on the crabs is that this spot is close to the house and the crabs would possibly smell nice, I love apple blossom smell!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH