SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

May 2020 The OGR’s the Modern Roses and a bit of everything else.

Lisa Adams
3 years ago

Hello there! I haven’t made my own post in quite a while. I’m hoping to travel around the garden over the next few weeks and post pictures of what’s blooming, and how things are doing here in my So CA garden. Some expectations have had to be adjusted, due to a few health issues. I’m trying to enjoy the beauty, while overlooking the things I can’t attend to right now. The weather was cool, then a huge rain, then temps in the 90’s. Some roses didn’t mind, some minded a LOT. I’m also fighting gophers like crazy. Three “Gopher Hawk” traps and the cats haven’t been able to keep up. Many of the young foolish gophers have been caught, but the big smarter gophers are left. It won’t be long before another round of youngsters is born. I’m so frustrated with them!

Anyway, I plan to add new pictures over a period of time, so I’m not overwhelmed. I’m combining both antique and modern roses, because posting takes me SO long.

I’ll start with a true favorite, Baronne Prevost.

This was just before the heat began, about a week and a half ago.

Lisa

Comments (121)

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Lisa, this thread is spectacular! You grow so many roses that are not on my radar. Those close ups of Mel's Heritage are beautiful. I love the one with St. Elisabeth of Hungary especially. They compliment each other.

The soft buttery yellow of Moonlight Romantica is the kind of yellow I love but it would probably be blazing taxi cab yellow if I planted it.

Lisa Adams thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

I am loving all tour pictures Lisa. I adore climbers and your Mel’s Heritage is truly amazing. I think I see a cluster of buds starting to form on my Cornelia. I am looking forward to it looking as beautiful as yours. Currently a bit scraggly at 18mo old.

Lisa Adams thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Related Discussions

Is Anyone Else Ordering Roses This Fall?

Q

Comments (40)
    Campanula, I ordered from tuincentrum lottum too ( I must send email, when they will be sending orders). If you want Petrovic roses, you can order it on this website, but you must translate page to English first : http://www.vrtnicekodele.si/ I know the owner and she told me, that sometimes she sends rose orders to other EU countries (but I do not know about UK). She arranges all required legal papers for import from Serbia to EU. Melissa, I first ordered from PetroviÃÂ last year. Mostly OGRs and some Austins. I ordered bourbons, hyb. perpetuals and teas. In our country there are many rose lovers, who have PetroviÃÂ roses for some years now and his roses are highly praised. Campanula, I ordered roses from UK last year (Peter Beales) and they were travelling for almost two weeks. When I finally received them, they were not in best condition, but despite this, they are growing pretty well. This year I ordered from Trevor White. This post was edited by Soncna on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 14:08
    ...See More

2020 NEW Roses - USA

Q

Comments (510)
    I agree, in Texas, check the local Lowes, they had Moonlight in Paris both spring and fall. I must confess in North Texas it’s my fault the stock wasn’t there for long, I showed all my friends pictures of MiP and they totally annihilated Lowes’ supply in about a day. When I visited Certified they told me they were most pleased with the popularity of it and that all their stock had been promised to various nurseries much quicker than expected. So I’m happy they had such great success with one of their imports, and hope they do more !
    ...See More

how many roses you got coming spring 2020 ?

Q

Comments (405)
    I have a dozen on order. Nine from Palatine as the multiflora rootstock loves my acidic clay soil. I just dug up a Tiffany on multiflora and rootstock was three inches in diameter! I moved it to the front yard about five feet from the sidewalk so everyone can smell it as they walk by my house. Three David Austins via the local rose society at just $20 each!
    ...See More

May 6 2020 before the frost..

Q

Comments (70)
    I have a fair amount of damage on some of the Hosta I couldn't cover up but they seem to be bouncing back pretty quickly. I may have lost one that was on the way out before the frost. Miles, I never thought the JMs might be doing poorly because of the previous season. Mine seem to have fared better without putting the frost cover bag directly over the plant. If I could hang a sheet with space, that did best. Seems like the frost bags just held the cold on the leaves it was touching while the unfettered leaves had better air circulation. At least with barely freezing temps for short periods of time. Plus the wind whipping the nag around did its own damage. I have 4 JMs that are basically starting over - 2 I planted earlier this year believing the cold weather to be over. A few that have a portion of damage, a few with very minor and many that escaped damage either covered with a sheet or micro-climate protected. So far, I've only received one out of three Hosta orders (from Hornbaker). I made a new order from Green Hills that is coming next week, along with (possibly) Maple River Gardens. Naylor Creek always seems to be last for me (so why not order a few more from them too). I was doing good with only 25 new ones, but just added 10 more.
    ...See More
  • jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    3 years ago

Wow, your garden is truly magnificent. Love the feel and colours combination. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa Adams thanked jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Lisa, this is all so incredible. You are such a charming, wonderful person. I bet everyone wishes they had a mother like you today.

Lisa Adams thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • pippacovalent
    3 years ago

I just planted my Mel's Heritage last week so it's so inspiring to see such a giant specimen!

Lisa Adams thanked pippacovalent
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Lisa - get out of town!!! It blooms like that for 9 months!!!! That's unreal! I went to HMF to see what zone it's hardy to. Zone 6...so it won't do in my yard in the front raised bed. Not that I could ever get it here, probably. LOL Wowza..your Moonlight Romantica is heavenly!!! I'm thinking...it's just a yellow rose...but it's far from ordinary...it's ethereal and magcial. Wow! Thank you for taking the picture...amazing! And that's a particularly lush Boscobel. Oooh, darn...I would have loved to have seen your loaded Pretty Jessica. The one rose you show is pretty special. :) I love your marmalade cat! There's something wonderful about darker patterns on a lighter coated cat. I bet you have lots of birds that hide/nest in your Mel's Heritage. I do worry about you on that hill. Maybe you should have a rope that goes from the top to a piece of rebar on the bottom so that the rope is taut and gives you a handhold. That top picture of your last submission is UNBELIEVABLE!!! How can you live near all of that beauty and do anything but stare and drool. Your neighbors must be in awe!!

Lisa Adams thanked rosecanadian
  • Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    3 years ago

Major compliments on your garden, Lisa; and thanks for posting! When I get back to buying roses, I'll have to look into 'Mel's Heritage'.

Lisa Adams thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

Lisa, thank you so much for all your spectacular garden photos and descriptions, especially those of Mel's Heritage! Paul's rose really should win the Nobel for most impressive flower show and longest joy production. (9 months!) I'm attaching a photo of a little vase of MAC and Zephirine Drouhin since I know how much you love cut blooms for your home. This one is safely socially distanced all the way from Oregon. :-) Carol

Lisa Adams thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Carol - oh my!!!! What a stunning plonk of roses!!!!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Carol, it's so good to see you post. You have been much missed.

Lisa Adams thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks everyone! I skipped posting yesterday. I was worn out. I was able to have a visit with my daughter and son-in-law on Mother’s Day morning. It was wonderful with comfortable temps. It was so nice seeing her tummy grow, even though I couldn’t come too near her. The passing neighbors did comment on my nice roses while we sat outside. That was nice to hear.

Carol, your roses look lovely. Your place has always looked so cozy to me. I saw your “like” earlier, and was happy to see that you were following along. Remember the fun we had trying to ID that pinkish purple moss I show in one of my last photos? It’s looking quite purple today. Boy, is it ever a thorny thing!

Trish, I wish you could come visit and have some stroopwafels. It takes a special almost waffle iron type thing and is best done as 3 person job. They are eaten like cookies, not waffels. I press a ball of yeast dough in the iron and cut them in half lengthwise while they are puffed up and hot. Then, my daughter ladles some warm, almost caramel type, hot syrup on one half, and tops it with the other. My mom keeps up with setting them on cookie sheets to chill in the freezer for a few minutes. Then she stacks them into ziplock bags. You can sometimes purchase them in specialty stores, but they taste nothing like the homemade kind. The store bought kinds are hard and chewy. These are flakey and gooey. There’s nothing better.

I’m in a rush, as usual, but I’ll post a few pictures taken this morning, and return later.

Cream Abundance is already on its second flush. The stems are finally lengthening enough for cutting.

Sister Elizabeth is blooming nicely.

Forest Ranch Pom Pom has some nice blooms. It’s still potted. I love the lilac tones, but they don’t show well here.

Finally, Golden Buddha. Golden Buddha never stopped blooming this year. I just love it! It’s getting a little crowded in there. I need to remove the nasturtiums. They were way late to appear this year. Lisa

3 years ago

Oh my goodness! That Golden Buddha combo gets better every time you post it. Hard to wrap my head around your roses being on their second flush. Mine don't even have buds yet.

It's raining today, so I get a day off from the weeds. They're rampant this year.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks flowers! Golden Buddha gets better every year. I just barely shape it, yet it has remained very well behaved. So few truly remain compact in S CA. Golden Buddha does, and blooms constantly.

It’s hard for me to wrap my head around it still being cold and winter-like for you. I wouldn’t mind a few months of down time in the winter. Here, the roses just keep growing! I’m almost better about keeping my pots and various things watered during the hot summers, as it becomes a daily habit. During the winter, I have to remind myself to water them when we go for a while without rain. I get out of my routine, and start getting spoiled by winter rains. Oddly, we have a chance of showers tonight. It’s only a small chance, so I’m not holding my breath. My weeds have been unbelievable this year. The late rain started a while new round of them. I try to crowd them out with plants, but they’re sneaky buggers. I’m looking forward to your spring blooms. Lisa

• User
    3 years ago

@Lisa Adams

My gosh, that really is the most impressive specimen of 'Mel's Heritage' I've ever seen. Truly astonishing. Thank you for sharing these spectacular photos, Lisa!

Lisa Adams thanked User
  • Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Lisa, all of your roses are so lovely! What is the fragrance of Golden Buddha like?

Lisa Adams thanked Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
  • portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

Lisa, all your roses are off-the-charts gorgeous, whether they've been positively identified or not. :-) I am in awe of the garden you have created!

Titian, thank you! I've missed you, too.

Carol

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Lisa - I would love to taste your stroopwafels!!! They sound delicious!!! Mmmmm!!! I love caramel sauce!! My goodness!!! Your last picture is sooo wonderful!!!! Wowza!!

Carol....although to avoid confusion with Carol/portland...you could call me

Canadian Carol, Carol, Carol Lynn (middle name), CC(Canadian Carol) or Canadian

• portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

RoseCanadian,

If you are CC, does that mean I'm PC? Ha, ha. :-)

Carol in Portland

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Well, maybe we're CCPC or PCCC...sheesh. LOL LOL

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I thought those initials were for old Soviet satellite countries. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

LOL!!!! :)

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Mmmm, Lisa, they sound delicious. Where is that Pink Party Bus when you need it? Mind you, that would mean I would have to share!

What a compliment from Paul.

I love that Cream Abundance.

OT, Diane, I am finally reading 'A Gentleman from Moscow", and loving it.

Lisa Adams thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Hi, Trish. I'm happy you love Gentlemen--I've gotten a bunch of people reading it who have had a similar reaction. If you haven't already, read Towles other book, Rules of Civility. Hope you are healthy and enjoying life. I noticed Australia has had very few coronavirus cases. I am glad for that. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello everyone! I was feeling under the weather for a few days, but it’s nothing “virus related“. It’s heating up, so everything needs watering.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful comments! Things have grown rather wild lately, but careful pictures still look ok. Paul, Mel’s Heritage truly takes care of itself. You have bred a wonderful rose for my climate. Lots of roses are getting powdery mildew now, but not Mel’s Heritage. When the late rains caused yellow leaves and black spots (which I normally NEVER see here), Mel’s Heritage remained clean. I can’t get anywhere near the roots, so MH got no fertilizer or extra water. Your rose did this on its own, without my help. It’s truly my favorite rose, out of all the roses I grow. Thank you for this beautiful rose!

Hi Cris! Golden Buddha does have good fragrance. I was thinking it didn’t have much, but I just went and gave it a sniff. I’m not very good at describing fragrance, but it’s definitely not myrrh. It’s more fruity like Princess Charlene de Monaco or Sweet Mademoiselle, just not quite as strong. I like Golden Buddha’s scent very much. The only thing I would think about in your zone is how VERY slowly Golden Buddha grows. In my zone roses grow year round, and I have problems keeping them in check. Golden Buddha is the slowest growing rose I have experience with. I haven’t pruned mine, and it’s 4-6? years old. I only shape it when deadheading it. That’s a great asset for me. I’m just not sure if that would be the case in a cold climate. Maybe Paul, or someone who’s growing Golden Buddha in a similar climate to yours could chime in. It’s the perfect size for the planter in front of my house. Mine does have some powdery mildew right now, but many of my roses do. I get it every year when the days are warm and the nights are cooler.

I have to make an arrangement for my daughter’s baby shower right now. She’s having her shower via Zoom. She only wants white, green and yellow in the arrangement. I don’t have much yellow, but Lilyfinch is going to give me some yellow blooms. I wish I dared use Molineux, but I doubt it makes a good cut flower. Flamingo Gardens Tea is between flushes, and I might have a few Moonlight Romantica blooms left. I do have some Cal Poly mini roses I can use. I’m sorry that I’m in a rush today, but I didn’t want another day to go by without posting. I’ll try to remember to take a picture of the arrangement. When I need to sit down, I’ll add some more pictures. Thanks for following along everyone! I so enjoy reading everyone’s comments. I’ll snap a quick picture of Golden Buddha right now.

Super variable colors, according to age of bloom and temps.

The buds are very orange. Light drizzle has a few of the older blooms sporting pink spots, a temporary issue.

Golden Buddha doesn’t stop blooming! Even now, it’s busy making new buds, and plenty of them! All these photos were just taken now. Golden Buddha is loaded with bloom, while still making more. It’s a tiny blooming machine! Lisa

• Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Hi Lisa! Hope you are feeling better. Thank you for describing the fragrance of Golden Buddha. I already grow Princess Charlene de Monaco so that is a great reference point for me. As for its growth rate, it sounds like it might be like Bolero or bush Crimson Glory, preferring to bloom rather than grow and bulk up in size. I wonder if it might grow faster if the buds were kept trimmed off for a few months? I’m not sure I would be willing to sacrifice such lovely blooms though. Still, it might be perfect for a pot in my zone if I can overwinter it in a sheltered area/garage.

Lisa Adams thanked Chris Martins Zone6a Chicago
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Lisa, what an exquisite combination--Golden Buddha and your beautiful clematis, plus supporting roll played by cherry caramel phlox (did I get that name right?). I can't wait to see the bouquet you are making for your daughter's shower. Wish her smooth sailing from me as she heads into the latter part of her pregnancy, and great happiness ahead. Plus a fun shower!

Chris, please don't remove remove all those buds. The rose has already expended the energy to produce them, and there is no scientific evidence that removing the buds will speed up growth. Diane

• portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

Lisa,

Congratulations to you and your daughter on the soon-to-be arrival of your grandchild/child! I know the Zoom shower will be lovely. It's so sweet that Lilyfinch lives close and is sharing roses for the big event!

Sending oodles of celebratory wishes, Carol

P.S. Breathtakingly gorgeous roses and clematis!

3 years ago

Lisa, what variety is your lovely blue clematis with Golden Buddha?

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Lisa - I'm loving the colors you put together with the purple, gold and white!! Scrumptious! I'm glad you're starting to feel better.

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

I really like Sui Mei Ren. Very unusual petals and subtle color blend. I am out of full sun positions and only have partial shade left.

• User
    3 years ago

You've done a marvellous job with your garden Lisa... I know it's never easy to garden with health issues and other time constraints... I like your colourful arrangements, very feminine, in ways I could not do... it's nice to see a thread devoted to an individual garden too... best wishes for now...

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much. I wrote a long comment with pictures yesterday and they disappeared. Sheila the clematis with Golden Buddha is Franziska Marie. It’s a wonderful clematis, that blooms all summer if deadheaded.
    I’m posting this before I try a photo after yesterday’s frustration. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m in the Houzz app, and not sure how that happened. Let’s see if the arrangement I made for my daughter’s shower shows up. Lilyfinch was kind enough to give me some yellow roses and yellow flowering maple. I only had a few yellow mini roses for yellow. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok, I’m feeling a bit more confident. Diane, your right about the combo and the cherry caramel phlox. That thing has lasted forever. I don’t like this app! I can’t look up to see your comments while typing! I’m going to post a few pictures from the shower and then probably edit and delete them after a few have seen them. Thank you so much Jen, for the yellow blooms! You saved the day! I was allowed to touch her tummy for the first time! I felt my little granddaughter’s hiccups! I can’t tell you how thrilled I was. I stayed very isolated before the shower, and it was totally worth it! I’m going to try to switch over to the way I usually enter Houzz. I can only see the pictures in tiny boxes, and dislike not being able to see your above comments.
    Marlorena, thank you. I always love seeing your garden. We both love that packed look. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, apparently I can only post pictures if I’m using the app. I’m not pleased. I just lost the photos and everything I wrote while going through my usual way. I took pictures in the yard, and nothing posted.
    I’ll try a few again.
    Here’s Pomponella Fairytale. I guess I should have photographed it sooner. For some reason the blooms are washed out. Our weather may have something to do with it. She’s loaded, that’s for sure!

Flamingo Gardens Tea is finished with its spring flush, and NOW its companions bloom! Lisa

3 years ago

Lisa, your daughter and grand baby are blessed to have you in their lives. I'm sure that was the shower of the year and will be talked about and relived over the generations. You do everything with such love and attention to detail and it shows. Such a lovely bouquet, just as requested, with the addition of the Lilyfinch yellow roses.

The photo of you and your daughter (and grand daughter) is precious, especially under these circumstances. What a treat for you to be together. Your beautiful daughter has that glow and you get younger and prettier in every photo I see of you. No one will believe you are a grandmother.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, flowers! I expected to be a much younger grandmother, since I was so young when I had my first two children. I’m just thankful it’s finally happening. The shower was a very quiet affair, with about 20 people joining in on Zoom. Just 4 of us were actually there, physically.

I couldn’t have pulled off that arrangement without Lilyfinch’s blooms. They were just perfect. It was fairly easy to put together, since my daughter doesn’t like “fussy” things. I think I spent the most time trying to get my long hair under control! Hope you’re doing well. Lisa

3 years ago

Your family photo is beautiful, Lisa. Thank you for the name of that clematis, which I will have to find.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sheila. I think my Franziska Marie clematis came from Bluestone. It was very small, but I needed to start with a tiny one to be able to plant it in that small space. It’s taken a few years to really show what a beauty it can be, but it’s been well worth the wait. Lisa

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

It looks like a wonderful shower, it’s amazing what we can do when we look outside the box.

The three generation photo is precious, congratulations Grandma!

Lisa Adams thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Lala Idaho Zone 7a
    3 years ago

Lisa~ your roses are beautiful! I cant

imagine how stunning it must look in person.

Lisa Adams thanked Lala Idaho Zone 7a
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    3 years ago

I am surprised how big Pomponella has grown. Its huge !! All your arrangements and roses are beautiful.

Beautiful pics of you, your daughter and grand daughter. I hope you will frame that pic up. Building memories !! ❤

Lisa Adams thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    3 years ago

Your bouquets turned out beautiful, Lisa! And you and your daughter look adorable together. Just SO happy for you both. 😊

Lisa Adams thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Lisa and Lilyfinch - what a beautiful bouquet!! Perfect simplicity with the yellows, white and green...perfection!!! Lisa...your daughter must have loved that bouquet!!! My goodness!!! And I'm happy that you finally got to feel the baby move! It's such an exciting time...it would be a shame to miss the connection.

Lisa - GASP!!!!! Your backyard is totally awash with pink blooms!!! I just can't believe it! How gorgeous!!!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    3 years ago

Lisa, you have so many truly gorgeous pictures of your roses, but somehow the photo I wanted to see the most, of you and your daughter (and her precious baby bump) is missing. I'd love it if you could please post it again. The purple clematis and penstemon with the pink roses is wonderful. All your clematis plants are gorgeous. They add a lot to the roses, a perfect contrast. The flowers for the baby shower are also lovely, and I'm so glad you were able to have the shower. Even if done somewhat differently it's the love that counts, always.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • pippacovalent
    3 years ago

Every time I see your pompanella fairytale I think I need it in my garden....so gorgeous!

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ll post the picture one more time for you, Ingrid. I’ll post it and take it down in a day or two. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I took a few pictures just before it grew dark tonight.
    Baronne Prevost is still blooming!

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Molineux never really stops blooming. It’s truly a continuous bloomer here. The Faun is looking lovely tonight.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Lisa - Your The Faun is sooooo gloriously pink and beautiful!!!! Oh my!! I like it even better than I like your BP...which I loooove!!!