SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pouchingmin

Peony Blooms 2020

gardenchloe
3 years ago

Early Scout never disappoints. It bloomed mid April and had to fight the freeze. Most of the buds made it.

Comments (35)

• lizbest1
    3 years ago

Mine is just now breaking dormancy, just a few inches tall!

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lizbest1, i miss seeing you!! Hailstorms destroyed most of my buds and blooms last year. Some of the peonies got newer buds after so I ended up with a longer blooming season. Let’s see how it goes this year.

• Related Discussions

May 2020 Blooms

Q

Comments (24)
    Maybe next week or jump on next months' flower show. It will smell to high heaves when it opens. Got to look up the exact name. They are hardy to zone 7 and I have two left outside and comes up every year in our zone 6. This one I keep in the cellar thru the winter.
    ...See More

First Blooms of 2020

Q

Comments (1)
    Those blooms are gorgeous & Huge! I wish I had room for a Nellie. I'm a big fan of Monty Don but like him just a tad less bc he apparently can't stand Nellie. I won't have blooms for at least a month but will post pictures then. Looking forward to seeing others' pics until then. I bought most of my clems based on pics and recommendations from this and the perennial forum.
    ...See More

First bloom of 2020

Q

Comments (38)
    I have the flower buds popping...but none are open on a 22 year old potted Plumeria Celadine. I notice on one of last years bloom stem what looks like a budding branch!..So weird,never seen that before. KWAGOE..Nice German Empress. I have one that was one expensive 6" cutting off of ebay almost 3 years ago and is now a multibranch plant. At least they grow fast. I read they can bloom more than once a season. Spring will always be biggest bloom I suspect.
    ...See More

June 2020 Blooms

Q

Comments (35)
    I couldn't find a thread for July 2020 blooms, and so I will add some July photos here. I've been in the desert for most of July but got back to Los Angeles in time to see these flowers:Night blooming Queen of the Night (taken with flash)taken without flash - just the porch light Five flowers Monday night Five flowers Sunday nightOncidium orchid - I guess this is a sort of succulent. I was lucky to get back in time to see this one, which I normally keep in my back yard all year and neglect somewhat. My next door neighbor did the watering for me while we were gone.
    ...See More
  • digit (ID/WA, border)
    3 years ago

Growing ..

. but ..

. a long way from having a bud.

Steve

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

I'm excited, mine is growing well and it looks like there are buds starting to grow. My friend gave it to me a couple years ago and it didn't bloom last year.

• mmmm12COzone5
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Mine are still fairly small also and no sign of buds.

• DeZi Lo
    3 years ago

it's about 2 feet tall.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

Pretty and super early!

• tomatoz1
    3 years ago

Beautiful peony, gardenchloe. Mine are like Steve's - about 4" tall, barely. And . . I will be having a beautiful WHITE peony bloom in a few years. I just started putting out tiny sprouts. so it must like where it is. Thank you!

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tomatoz1,

I believe this is what you are getting. Hope it’ll bloom for you this year.

I think some peonies are just way earlier than others. This picture shows the big difference in size between Flame, single petal hot pink peony from Lizbest1. Cora Louis, an Itoh, right next to it was either planted the same year or the year after. It’s always a later bloomer for me.

I love the foliage of this peony. I lost the tag when I didn’t have a good labeling systems. It’s now a NOID. =(

Just a row of peonies and iris on the north side of the house.

• mstywoods
    3 years ago

That's a really beautiful one, gardenchoe! Mine are growing well and developing buds, but no blooms yet. Hopefully soon, and hopefully no hail out of the expected thunder storms today!

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, mstywood. I know! I’ve got old curtains here ready in case I need to run out and cover my irises and peonies. I’ve gotten some bloom stalks on some irises that didn’t bloom last year and really hope they will get to bloom this year.

• mstywoods
    3 years ago

lol, I've been saying the same thing to mine, although they aren't quite as close as yours!

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

mstywoods, I hope they listen. I keep asking them to open before a hailstorm hits us... Let's just start blooming :)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    3 years ago

A week and a half ago I RESCUED my singular peony plant from where it had been growing for about 10 years--in the strip of land between my house and my neighbors'! It had grown fairly well in that location--planted thru rock mulch and landscape fabric for about 7 years! Then, about three years ago the neighbor decided to "add more rock mulch," as in, about SIX INCHES more rock--dumped right on top of it!! After he was done I went out there to find my peony totally buried under rock--my favorite thing!--and I had cleared the rock off of the plant itself and been fighting to keep the plant growing in its "deep hole" ever since he did that! The first summer he dumped all the rock on top of it it almost died--but it had been slowly coming back again as I was keeping the rocks off of the crown as well as I could! Then, last summer I discovered that his daily and extensive "lawn watering" was keeping the poor plant's "hole" filled with water half the time, so not only was it growing in a deep hole surrounded by rock, but it was being drowned too!

So I prepped a hole near my front door, dug it out of the place where it was being terrorized, and replanted it! It was already about 2' high, and had four stems with small buds on them! I had NO idea if I'd need to cut the whole thing down to get it to "take" or not, but, after shading it with a piece of white plastic attached to the peony ring the first couple days, I "splinted" the four stems with buds (with bamboo skewers and "soft" twist ties!), and it seems to have survived the whole operation! I've left the splints on, though I don't think they really need them anymore, but as of now you really can't tell it was moved! I'm surprised! Really surprised!

It's actually three "small" plants that were in here in various places (like in whiskey barrels!) when I bought the house, that I planted in the the same hole about 10 years ago, wasn't even sure if they were gonna survive when I first did that, so my 'one plant" is three colors--white, pink, and red! I'm assuming at this point that all three colors have survived! And by next year, now planted in a "good place" with good soil and mulched with bark mulch, I think I should have a really nice plant--at least I have my fingers crossed!

I hope you all have great peonies this year,

Skybird

05.15.20 @ 2320

• mstywoods
    3 years ago

Wow Skybird - great rescue job! Your peonies are breathing a sigh of relief now!! They definitely are hardy to have survived all of that :)

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I started my peonies in front of my house and on the south side of my house the first couple of years. As I collected more, I started digging more holes on the north side of the house. This is the year I noticed that they are really more mature in size and created a nice row as I walk through them. The foliage alone bring me so much joy. Just love them!

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

Speaking of rescues, my mom and I went to an estate sale about 2 years ago. It was one of those yards that you could tell at one time had been beautifully cared for but was completely overgrown. The people running the sale said the house and yard were going to be leveled to build something new. So we asked if we could take some of the peonies. They said, sure. So I set out to dig some. Well...it turned out to be a very difficult task as these peonies must have been there for 50 years. There I was using an old rusty wood-handled shovel I found in the garage trying to dig them out. After about an hour, I was only able to get one tuber out. It was huge, like the size of a football! We put it in a bucket and left feeling pretty defeated. My mom did plant that giant tuber in her yard. For two years, it did nothing. And I mean nothing! To the point she thought it was a waste to go through all that. But this year, it's booming! I think we may even know what it is this year. Haha.

• mmmm12COzone5
    3 years ago

We have 3 peonies. Many years ago (over 10) we relocated two of them to be near the third. The originally planted one is the only one that does well. One of the relocated ones is passable and one is a runt. Have no idea why they never recovered from the move.

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• mmmm12COzone5
    3 years ago

Gorgeous! Mine are still curled up in tight buds. I am starting to wonder if they will skip this year like my tulips did. But maybe they will still open.

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• mstywoods
    3 years ago

Got 2 blooms open on two of my plants today! Abalone Pearl. Lots more buds to come this year - yay!

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Mstywood, I remember ordering Abalone Pearl the same time you did from the same vendor. How is yours doing? Mine always have big buds but smaller blooms. Are your blooms big?

• mstywoods
    3 years ago

Yes, Abalone Pearl is wonderful and mine are doing fabulously! Blooms faithfully every year and are a good size. Always looks so lovely! Plants are much bigger this year, too.

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• mstywoods
    3 years ago

My Raspberry Rumba blooms are finally opening :) Abalone Pearl is about done. I only have these 2 varieties - definitely going to have to get more ;)

• mmmm12COzone5
    3 years ago

One of mine has finally come in. This is my best performing peony.

I have one bush with no buds. I think we will have to move it as it was likely transplanted too deep about 15 years ago. It has never recovered from the transplant. A third bush has buds but no blooms yet. It also faltered after being tranplanted 15 yrs ago and I suspect maybe they were both planted too deep.

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Nicole (CO Z5b)
    3 years ago

Gorgeous gardenchloe, love the white one! Couldn't tell you what variety this one is but I swear she always blooms June 1st, without fail.

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nicole, I like this one. It stands up so upright. I do not like the ones that flop over but somehow still ended up with many of them. At least the blooms are amazing though. :)

• gjcore
    3 years ago

The peonies are looking good this year. Hopefully the way I tied them up will last for awhile longer.

• gardenchloe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, gjcore, they look lovely. Something for me to look forward to. Do you mind sharing how long you've had these please?

• Nicole (CO Z5b)
    3 years ago

Ha, I agree gardenchloe! They last for such a short time, I like them to stand up and be proud! Although all the blooms are gorgeous, even if you have to hold them up now and then.

gjcore, very nice, didn't even noticed you tied yours until I read your comment. Always think I should do something to support mine but never seem to get to it.