SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lerkat

My despised WOLF Range died, finally. Next 36" range? BlueStar?

lerkat
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So, we have suffered with a 36" Wolf DF range for 13 years. We bought it when we did our kitchen because it was top of the line and both DH and I are serious cooks. Problems started right away- burners didn't seal and leaked along the side, constant ignition clicking on 2 out of 4 burners. Oven door spring broke. We must have had the repairman out every 3 months the first two years. He tried as best he could. After warranty expired, we had to pay ourselves for a second new door spring replacement. Never had such problems with previous Thermadors or Viking ranges. Then our local repair person retired. DH became an expert at replacing the burner O rings (quite a skill!). Oven started acting up. Only DH knew all the tricks to get the oven to maintain temperature (open control panel, sometimes Temperature gauge kicked in, if it didn't, turn on light, if it still didn't, close control panel, if it still didn't, turn off oven, turn on again at least 75 degrees higher than you wanted to see if it would register temperature, etc., etc.). I have hated this range for years. Finally, it seems to have given up the ghost. DH used all his magic but could not roast his potatoes higher than 250 degrees.

So what other range would you suggest for two serious cooks? Lately we do make pizza and sourdough bread frequently, so the oven needs to get HOT. The space is 36" and cannot be changed. A few months ago I went to look at all the Lacanche models in Seattle, and only the 40" would satisfy my needs. However, we are not going to be ripping out cabinets and countertops to accommodate a different size. What other models would you suggest? Self cleaning is not important to me, so I was considering a Blue Star Platinum. Also heard about Hestan, but they are pretty new. Suggestions, experience, reviews? Would love to hear others experience.

Comments (11)