SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rabes87

Recommendations for off-white paint colors for furniture?

rabes87
3 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to get some input on what color to paint my dressers. I'm trying to find an off white that has a similar undertone and temperature to Sherwin Williams (SW) Alabster or Benjamin Moore (BM) White Dove, but darker. I'll explain in more detail below - I apologize in advance.

I painted our dressers BM Ivory/Acadia White last year, and at sometimes, especially at night, they are too yellow for my taste. We recently painted our bedroom walls Sherwin Williams Alabaster and the trim and built in cabinets are Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray (going for a historic look). I really like the paint colors, but unfortunately it makes the yellow undertone of the dressers more prominent (or maybe that's from staring at them in quarantine).

My first thought is to paint the dressers SW Alabaster. Here is the problem - I have a lot of antique white items, and against the SW Alabaster they're darker (not yellow, just not as bright). I'm afraid painting the dressers that color will only make the antiques more prominent, to the point where it doesn't blend. My next thought was a shade darker than SW Alabaster to try to blend everything together. Per the SW card the next color is Pearly White, but it looks too gray.

I was thinking Alabaster 25% or 50% darker, and am curious to see if anyone has ever done this? Has anyone ever used BM Soft Chamois or SW Creamy? I've heard some good things about them as well.

My apologies for the long post, but I figured more details would be helpful. Any recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)