SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah6942

Help to update orange glossy wood staircase?

sarah6942
4 years ago

We have a quite dominant central staircase - in glossy orange wood. I feel it dates the house but don't know how I should change it. I'm considering changing the carpet throughout to a pale taupe (see bottom stair) but also wondering whether wooden flooring or Amtico in hall would be better. Planning on painting the skirtings white and was going to leave the doors but not sure what to do with the stairs. I'm struggling to visualise it all painted, so am also considering staining rails, base rails/string capping and newel posts in a dark wood and painting the spindles and stringers white. But I'm still struggling to visualise the large area of stringers painted since you see them so close up as you walk under the stairs and whether it would just end up not looking great? Also I don't know whether painting the outside of the stringers means you should treat the inside of them and the half-risers the same. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Please ignore cupboard temporarily placed under stairs!!

Comment (1)