Are they *trying* to kill us...

Annie Deighnaugh

...take unproven drugs

...inject disinfectants

...sunshine will cure you

...it'll go away with the summer heat

...it's not coming back in the fall

...open the states and go back to work, to the mall, to the gym and the bowling alleys

...laying around at home in your PJs is depriving you of your freedom!! It's all a deep state conspiracy out to control you!

...no problem we have plenty of testing

...no problem we have plenty of ppe

...states are just exaggerating their needs

...all that equipment is going out the back door

...this is no worse than the flu -- only 60k dead

...it's all a hoax

...fire fauci for saying otherwise

...can't let the cure be worse than the disease

...replace the head of the cv task force with a guy who raises labradoodles

...fire the expert in covid vaccine development for disagreeing with the president

and those are just off the top of my head.

So why would they do that? Well look at who it's killing...

...those parasitic elderly who run up our medicaid and medicare costs -- they're on their last legs anyway, who's to say it was covid and not something else, right? Besides as one gop told us, there are things worse than death, right? Move over granny and make room for the young ones.

...those people with pre-existing conditions like diabetes who are a drain on our health care system

...those illegal aliens who are ag workers and processing food without any ppe -- they don't belong here anyway

...those people in jails and prisons who are a blight on society -- who needs 'em

...those people in blue states like NY and CA who didn't support trump anyway -- serves them right and let them go bankrupt too

Besides, it's a great excuse for building the wall and locking down the borders which we wanted to do anyway. And what a great way of suppressing democratic voters by blocking write-in voting, forcing them to risk a fatal illness just by showing up. Truly an unexpected side benefit, no?

And I can't believe we've gotten to this point in our country where such a question is even ponderable....and in only a few short months.

SOS

SaveComment93Like15
Comments (93)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

One does wonder at times, right?!!!

Kate

3 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Especially old people, who needs em' right?

"A Place for Mom" = a cemetery now.

6 Likes Save    
how2girl

All that social security that won’t be paid out.

8 Likes Save    
petalique

“A Place For Don! You know your Donny; we know corruption, liars, shills, and psychopathy.”

6 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Oh I forgot...victims of covid are disproportionately people of color...that's a plus for certain people as well...

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

No problems with jobs or healthcare if you kill off the old and sickly. Then seize the medical supplies and refuse tests from WHO. They couldn’t do a better job of killing off people if they actually tried. Or——-are they? It has crossed my mind more than once.

4 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Who refused tests from WHO?

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

I don't wonder, there is enough evidence that Dear Leader does not value life.

3 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

That's quite a conspiracy theory, Annie! Who are the "THEY" behind this dastardly plot?

4 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

I yearned for 2020. Now I yearn for November. It's gonna be a very long summer.

4 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

They = GOP and their ilk

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Who are they? I don't know..the republican military industrial complex? trump and his dictator buds? I don't know. But it just seems too successful to be happenstance or simple incompetence. Even a stopped watch is right twice a day...hard to believe that trump could have such a midas touch in reverse that *everything* he touches turns to dreck.

Maybe whatever is the rw equivalent of the deep state...the mercers, the oligarchs...what hillary called the vast rw conspiracy. But if you're going to believe in a deep state, it's ridiculous to not believe the right doesn't have an equivalent....especially since the gop and conservatives are far more organized than the dems ever were or could be.

2 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

I have thought Trump and company couldn't have done a better job of scr#wing up the handling of the Corona virus if he tried, or did he? It's just such a mess and he basically told states it's not my problem, fend for yourselves.

3 Likes Save    
petalique

Let me ask you this: If there was a malignant greedy organization that wanted to destroy (surreptitiously) democracy, order, society, rules of law, global stability, intelligent nations and societies, select groups who the organization did want to share resources with or have in the way, what would they do differently?

6 Likes Save    
kadefol

Interesting how the very people who were screaming about the supposed "Death Panels" legalized by the ACA are perfectly fine with people dying for the economy - basically for corporate and shareholder profits.

13 Likes Save    
jmm1837

I don't really think they're deliberately trying to kill us but they do remind me of all those WWI generals sending tens of thousands of troops to die in the trenches through sheer incompetence and an inability to adapt. So whether its intentional or not, they're going to kill a lot of people. May their names go down in ignominy.

8 Likes Save    

Can we hope they are stopped before too many more succumb?

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Well, let’s look at the numbers.

Theres about 55,000 dead so far in the USA, and I’m making a guess that at least 50,000 of them are senior citizens.

Social Security payments run about $2,000 per person, per month, on average? Looks like they are saving about $100,000,000 every month. Is my math wrong on that?

How about Medicare?

And any one of those senior citizens who was a government worker and collecting a government pension.

Not to mention it frees up the inheritance that can go to your kids, so that they can live in the house or freely spend the money. Miss Lindsay had mentioned that Millennials were calling COVID, “the Boomer Remover”.

It makes financial sense to kill you.

Save    
jmm1837

Hanlon's Razor: " Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. "

6 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Italy took COVID patients and housed them in seniors care facilities. I remain unconvinced it was simple stupidity.

1 Like Save    
jmm1837

Hamilton - as I understand it, that was more desperation than anything else - they simply had nowhere else to put the milder cases because the serious ones were taking up all the hospital beds. I don't say it was the right decision, but I don't think it was out of intent to wipe out the over 80s set. Hopefully, neither Canada nor the US will get to the point of needing to make those kind of decisions.

2 Likes Save    
studio10001

NYC already has.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Jmm,

I think they could have found better alternatives.

Not to stereotype, but you see who runs the country there. The construction, the businesses, the government...

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Do you trust politicians, from local mayors right up to Trump, to look at that number ...$100 million a month... and not think of the cost savings on their budgets?

How much more could you save if more people die?

Save    
HamiltonGardener

Well, it was either that or the kids.

Theres a housing shortage, you know. And mom and dad's house is pretty nice...

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Hamilton - most of the deaths were in the north. They've got a pretty sophisticated economy and populace there, not much different from any other developed country (and considerably different from the south of Italy). They badly underestimated the impact of the virus (remember, they were the first western country to get hit, and had very little information about Covid on which to base decisions), so they got overrun. Most of the rest of us have had time to ramp up preparations, but the Italians were always behind the 8 ball. Stupidity? Maybe. Planned culling? I doubt it.

You hear about doctors having to make decisions to let older patients die because they didn't have enough ventilators and beds to treat both the old and the young and chose to give those beds and ventilators to the young. That's a decision I hope no one in Canada or the US has to face, but if they do, I'm not sure they'd make a different decision than the Italians did.

4 Likes Save    

I get the sarcasm, but not all mayors and governors are completely devoid of compassion. Our governor seems to be (guess which party affilation?), but our city's mayor (not of the same party) certainly is not, and was trying to protect our city residents well before our stupid gov. finally, reluctantly made a move. In fact, our stupid gov. has been playing partisan politics over this, which is unconscionable, IMO.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"But it just seems too successful to be happenstance or simple incompetence."

You lost me, Annie. What is too successful? Do you mean the deaths of the elderly aren't just happenstance or incompetence?

Save    
Kathy

Was it happenstance Trump delayed acting on info about the virus until it spread to US? Is it happenstance the feds are seizing PPEs and ventilators the states ordered and paid for? is it happenstance we have a lack of tests at such a late date?

2 Likes Save    
jmm1837

No, not happenstance - incompetence.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

That could very well be true, either way he’s going to kill us.

5 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Seizing PPE and ventilators from states might also be punishment for governors who don’t fall in line. Or to dole out to governors who please him.

That isn’t incompetence.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

abh, "successful" in that many more Americans have already died than would have if trump had acted quickly and appropriately when this virus first hit and since then.

He chose to:

• ignore his own people and experts as far back as January.
  • not accept test kits from WHO, leaving the country short and with faulty test kits
  • encourage people to take unproven drugs which killed more than cured, rather than focusing govt efforts on ramping up production and distribution of test kits which would've saved lives
  • not encourage all states to institute stay at home orders
  • declare that testing was readily available -- as he's insisting on testing at the wh before anyone can meet with him -- when the reality is the testing isn't readily available at all
  • continue to say publicly it was a hoax or it was under control and it was going to just vanish after 15 people got it even though his own people were behind the scenes ordering up masks and PPE for the WH staff
  • push re-opening saying the cure can't be worse than the disease, putting the economy and reëlection ahead of people's lives
  • keep a $500B slush fund for him to hand out to corporations and donors who support him -- without any oversight -- rather than have that money go to the newly unemployed who desperately need it to keep from going hungry and/or homeless or face impossibly high medical bills
  • encourage people to protest for reopening rather than stay home and wait until his own administration's criteria had been met in order to save lives
  • refuse to wear a mask rather than set an example for the nation
  • put first pence and then kushner in charge of this cv task force which approaches it as a "political" and "marketing" problem rather than put in a professional or a military person who could actually corral resources and use logistical expertise to see scarce resources reached those regions that needed them most
  • turn his press briefings into lies and ramblings about his ratings rather than providing the American people with genuine and useful information

I could go on, but you get the idea.

So you tell me....could all of this have been unintentional? Incompetence? Or is there something more malevolent behind the choices he's made?

I will quote from the Irish Times ed. I posted on another thread:

It is one thing for governments to fail (as, in one degree or another, most governments did), quite another to watch a ruler and his supporters actively spread a deadly virus. Trump, his party, and Rupert Murdoch’s Fox News became vectors of the pestilence.

The grotesque spectacle of the president openly inciting people (some of them armed) to take to the streets to oppose the restrictions that save lives is the manifestation of a political death wish.

8 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump told reporters he didn’t like the look of the cadets at Pence’s speech. He wants the WP graduates to be nice and tight? Why? So it looks good even if it risks their health?

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

encourage people to take unproven drugs which killed more than cured, rather than focusing govt efforts on ramping up production and distribution of test kits which would've saved lives

That is quite a claim, Annie!

You don't name the drugs.

You don't provide a source.

You don't provide data.

Seems to me that if this were true, it would be all over the news. Instead, it's buried in a forum. Why?

Save    
ubro(2a)

^^^^^I think we all know what drug, it has been discussed.

4 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

^I think we all know what drug, it has been discussed."

Irrelevant. Scientific studies require careful documentation. Where is it?

If there's a covid19 study showing "unproven drugs killed more than they cured" bring it on.

I don't believe any such research findings exist. I don't think scientists would use a broad word like "killed," to identify or measure those who died. Scientific researchers can't afford to be that sloppy.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Golly, abh, you are right!

The scientific study did not say "killed".

And, there are different kinds of scientific study. Many kinds. Some don't even have a hypothesis.

https://apnews.com/a5077c7227b8eb8b0dc23423c0bbe2b2

But if you big point is the use of the word "killed", you likely win.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Seems to me that if this were true, it would be all over the news. Instead, it's buried in a forum. Why?

It has been all over the news...you need to get better sources, abh. And as far as which drugs, ask your dear leader...he and his fox news buddies were cited as pushing hydroxychloroquine more than 300 times in a few short weeks, including that trump even "pondered aloud" about taking it as a preventative.

And where is it stated that I can only take direct quotes from scientific studies? I am able to word it my own way as long as what I say is accurate*, and it is. More people died who took the drug than didn't and the drugs didn't save anyone so this statement is true: "unproven drugs which killed more than cured"

Thank you ziemia for providing a link.

----------------

*accuracy of course is a relative thing...if you're on the left, you're held to only direct word for word quotes, such as trump said "inject" and never said "clorox" or "lysol", and excoriated if you veer one iota from that. However, if you're a trump supporter, you're as free as need be to edit, interpret, infer, or spin whatever trump says, regardless of how ridiculous or outrageous the lie, anything just to make him look sentient ... that's all just fine for them.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Irrelevant. Scientific studies require careful documentation. Where is it?

I agree, abh, and I pose the same question. Where is that documentation? It's an, um, careless assertion at best.

Save    
lurker111

I think she explained that everything was "off the top of her head". :^)

Save    
elvis

Ah. Well, that explains it.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Hmmmm it's not just Trump neglecting to read....

4 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

That is quite a claim, Annie!

You don't name the drugs.

You don't provide a source.

You don't provide data.

"It has been all over the news...you need to get better sources, abh"

Nope. That small, retrospective study was limited limited to male veterans in VA hospitals around the country. It was not a rigorous study, and nowhere did the authors say the drugs had killed more than they cured.

"And where is it stated that I can only take direct quotes from scientific studies?"

As far as I know, no one is here (excluding moderators) is authorized to tell anyone else what they may or may not post. Have you heard something different?

Save    
jmm1837

Hydroxychloroquine is an old and extensively studied drug. It is used as an anti malarial, and in the treatment of lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, and the scientific community knows quite a lot about it in the context of those illnesses. The drug has known side effects, some of them comparatively minor, two of them, permanent damage to the eyes and heart disease, quite serious. It is dangerous if taken without medical advice: it is quite easy to overdose. These are all well known facts. Bottom line: this drug carries real risks, and it makes little sense to take it when there is no evidence it has any effect on Covid19.

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Yeah, I think they *are* trying to kill us.

CDC has a report on specific steps and processes to help cities and states safely re-open. But now it will never 'see the light of day'. I mean, why follow the science when you can just re-open like the virus doesn't exist and just watch everyone die?

The 17-page report by a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention team, titled "Guidance for Implementing the Opening Up America Again Framework," was researched and written to help faith leaders, business owners, educators and state and local officials as they begin to reopen. It was supposed to be published last Friday, but agency scientists were told the guidance "would never see the light of day," according to a CDC official....

The rejected reopening guidance was described by one of the federal officials as a touchstone document that was to be used as a blueprint for other groups inside the CDC who are creating the same type of instructional materials for other facilities. The guidance contained detailed advice for making site-specific decisions related to reopening schools, restaurants, summer camps, churches, day care centers and other institutions. It had been widely shared within the CDC and included detailed "decision trees," flow charts to be used by local officials to think through different scenarios.

Source:AP via MSNBC

Save    
studio10001

I suggest everyone print out a copy for themselves, before the White House gets them to change it.

Save    
graywings123(7)

I will give Trump enough credit to say that he doesn't want people to die. He just doesn't care whether they live or die.

3 Likes Save    
abzzybee(9/10 S. Florida)

Annie, looks like we, the people will be doing all the killing that needs doing. The states are re-opening, I'm watching reporters using language like" businesses anxiously waiting on word from their county, city and/or state leaders to re-open", there's discussion on bringing tourism back, malls are opening, etc. If mentioned at all, safety precautions are already pretty much relegated to after thought status.

It'll be business as usual by the end of next week I'd bet for many places, we can only hope the expected surges do not happen. We also only can try to get real information from trusted experts and develop personal strategies to keep ourselves and others safe through our actions.

Sadly, the almighty $ trumps all it appears.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

From Tuesday's TRMS...here's just some of the ways they're trying to kill us...

• rather than re-opening meat packing plants safely, they just want to keep them open without any apparent understanding that unless workers are kept healthy and alive, they can't keep the plant working. "The disastrous meat plant executive order, which is putting our meat supply more at risk than anything else the federal government has done in this crisis."
  • The FDA decision to allow any anti-body testing on the market without being vetted first and now having to walk back that one as people have been being scammed by misinformation: They`re only now getting around to telling the hundreds of entities that have put these mostly dodgy tests straight onto the market that actually, now, after the fact, now they`re going to need to show some data that indicates those tests might work.
  • the president got rid of the Health and Human Services Inspector General, the one who reported that hospitals were having a hard time getting necessary supplies including both tests and PPE to protect their staff.
  • A whistle-blower has come forward to tell the House about the kushner team in charge of PPE: that team under Jared`s leadership was excellent, it turns out, at things like expediting requests and paying special attention to tips and questions from conservative TV hosts, but they were not so good at actually getting PPE to health workers and American hospitals...Quote: The document alleges that the team responsible for PPE had little success in helping the government security such equipment in part because none of the team members had significant experience in health care or procurement or supply chain operations. In addition, none of Jared`s volunteers had relationships with manufacturers or a clear understanding of customs requirement or FDA rules according both to the complaint and to two senior administration officials who corroborate.
  • the Trump administration, as of right now, fighting to take away health insurance from millions of Americans by killing the Affordable Care Act with the Supreme Court case. Right in the middle of a pandemic with skyrocketing unemployment, nose-diving incomes and health care costs with or without insurance going through the roof.
  • Now that we *know* that nursing homes are hot spots of not only infections but deaths, guess what: The part of the Trump administration that oversees nursing homes and long-term care facilities, what are they working on? They`re loosening the rules about what nursing homes need to do when it comes to infection control. [bolding mine]
  • the official the president put in charge of public health preparedness and things like building up the national stockpile of stuff, we would need in a pandemic, he halted an Obama era initiative to spend $35 million to build a machine that could produce 1.5 million N95 masks per day......For $35 million, you could have had 1.5 million masks every day, seven days a week. No, he killed that so he could instead spend freely on smallpox vaccine supplies from a company he used to work for that appeared to have been severely marked up.
  • Dr. Rick Bright, an expert on vaccines was removed from his post for blowing the whistle on the serious corruption, waste and politicization of power in the epidemic response.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

If you haven't read up on the AZ modeling thing...it's really eye opening. AZ worked with university public health experts who volunteered their time to develop an good model for generating scenarios of when it would be safe to reopen. They recommended May 30 as being safer. But then trump came to town. Suddenly they threw out the AZ model, wanted their data back from the professors and fired them under the guise that they were too expensive. Instead chose to rely on a "super secret administration model" which no one could see or look at which said they could reopen now.

After sufficient outrage, they've switched back to working with the professors.

https://ktar.com/story/3134032/arizona-health-department-changes-decision-on-covid-19-modeling/

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Instead of learning what areas can be improved or looking for solutions, Trump is consumed in covering up. How is he any better than Xi?

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Perverting scientific conclusion to fit trump's political purposes will ensure more deaths. Whether it's intentional or not, the results are more dead Americans. It's his choice...his directive...his objective.

*Hold him responsible.*

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

At the risk of being pulled by the mad thread deleter, esp on a friday, with the meat packing plant executive order, I can't help but be reminded of another effort to throw more and more people at work to achieve a tyrant's purpose regardless of how many died.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Frankly, I think trump has just decided this is a battle he's not up to winning, so is throwing in the towel...let the chips fall where they may. Nothing I can do and if it goes bad, I'll blame the governors, esp the blue ones.

No different from his filing bankruptcies so many times to cede any responsibility, let others pay the price and walk away from the disasters he can't handle.

2 Likes Save    
Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

From a Yale epidemiologist:

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

This issue has mainly snuck under the wire while everyone's attention was on other virus crisis issues:

"the Trump administration, as of right now, fighting to take away health insurance from millions of Americans by killing the Affordable Care Act with the Supreme Court case. Right in the middle of a pandemic with skyrocketing unemployment, nose-diving incomes and health care costs with or without insurance going through the roof."

And as usual, Trump not even hinting at an alternative to replace ACA (Obamacare).

Kate

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Trump has handled this like a champ. He's accomplished so much and is criticized for no reason, other than the crats could never live up to what he has accomplished. If those blue cities had taken Trump's advice like our friends down under, this would have been gone by April.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

If Donnie cares about any color when it comes to death, it is gonna be gray, those are his voters.

But frankly I don't think he cares if a million people die by this fall, his only concern is how it will affect him.

3 Likes Save    
studio10001

We'll have to agree to disagree; from where I sit, the champ threw in the towel pretty early on. This was never going to be gone by April - the disease is not gone anywhere until it is gone everywhere. As to taking Trump's advice, it would be extremely helpful to the nation if he could determine what that is and take it himself.

By the way, he prefers to be called a cheerleader.

Save    
Vaughan

"Trump has handled this like a "Chump".

"a person who is easily tricked : a stupid or foolish person."

"a stupid person; dolt:"

Fixed that comment to be accurate

4 Likes Save    
sjerin

One must have to do some strenuous mental gymnastics to convince oneself that Trump has done a "good job" and not thrown most of us under the bus. I guess Fox and that new channel are helpful in that endeavor.

3 Likes Save    

Criticized for no reason - other than the long and detailed list of documented malfeasance prior to that bizarro comment...

2 Likes Save    
elvis

I guess Fox and that new channel are helpful in that endeavor.

What "new channel" is that?

Save    
jmm1837

Your "friends down under" didn't take Trump's advice, or we'd be in the same boat the US is. Aus and NZ did what competent governments like SKorea and Germany did, and listened to their medical experts. They acted much more quickly on testing, and they understood the importance of getting all levels of goverment working together to fight a common enemy, instead of treating the states as the actual enemy.

4 Likes Save    
sjerin

Elvis: OANN. There was a thread on it, which I'm sure you saw.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

And why are thousands more Americans going to die???

4 Likes Save    
jmm1837

Wow. Just wow. Is the issue America's image, or American lives? You need more testing, not less, if you care about the latter.

2 Likes Save    

Lives mean little to these guys, clearly. They have other priorities.

Save    
studio10001

So. Our county opened up to retail business a week ago, and yesterday was the first day of free testing. Our confirmed cases have quadrupled overnight, and 25% of those were from out of state. The governor believes this puts us on track for the second round of openings this Monday.

Save    
miss lindsey (She/Her)(8a)

If they are thinking like this poster on another thread the answer to the OP title is “yes.”

“Pretending that mass economic inactivity is better than a (relatively) few dead old and/or sickly people is utter stupidity.”

3 Likes Save    

Seems that the economy is the new god that all, like it or not must serve or die for in the us of a.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

"Seems to me that if this were true, it would be all over the news. Instead, it's buried in a forum. Why?"

Because that's where it deserves to be!

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

"And why are thousands more Americans going to die???"

And why are thousands more worldwide going to die?

obviously, it's DJT's fault.

Save    
jmm1837

Trump is not responsible for the rest of the world. He is responsible for the sluggish reaction to the threat to Americans.

2 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

Trump is totally irresponsible.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

5 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

His pathology will be studied for a long time to come.

Save    
Kathy

How is the POTUS using violence to disperse peaceful protestors any different from Looters using violence to protest George Floyd?

Save    
lurker111

Trump isn't using violence. He's defending our country from the terrorists. Self defense against violence.

Looters using violence to protest George Floyd?

lol! They aren't protesting. They just hate our country and hate Trump. I hear Trump's name 1000 times more than Floyd's. Most of the graffiti is anti Trump and has nothing to do with Floyd. Trump had nothing to do with Floyd's death.

TDS is a dangerous mental disorder.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Kathy

How is the POTUS using violence to disperse peaceful protestors any different from Looters using violence to protest George Floyd?

The POTUS has the might of the military to mass murder citizens and a cult to make excuses for him.

1 Like Save    
petalique

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

That meme is an example of TDS with preexisting conditions of something else.^^^

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The National Institutes of Health abruptly cut off funding to a long-standing, well-regarded research project on bat coronaviruses only after the White House specifically told it to do so, according to Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Fauci made the revelation Tuesday at a Congressional hearing on the federal response to the COVID-19 pandemic, which is caused by a coronavirus that is genetically linked to those found in bats. Rep. Marc Veasey (D-Texas) asked Fauci why the NIH abruptly canceled funding for the project, which specifically worked to understand the risk of bat coronaviruses jumping to humans and causing devastating disease.

Fauci responded to Veasey saying: “It was cancelled because the NIH was told to cancel it.”

“And why were they told to cancel it?” Veasey pressed.

“I don’t know the reason, but we were told to cancel it,” Fauci said.

After the hearing, Fauci clarified to Politico that it was the White House that told the NIH to cancel the funding. An unnamed White House official told Politico that the White House did encourage the funding cut, but ultimately it was the Department of Health and Human Services—of which the NIH is a part—that made the final decision. An HHS spokesperson said only that the funding was cut because "the grantee was not in compliance with NIH's grant policy."

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/white-house-ordered-nih-to-cancel-coronavirus-research-funding-fauci-says/?fbclid=IwAR1GgkhMRIA3N1K04WM_dz6KBmhHjDy6U7Bh4PeoFiZfsZq8MvT3hVL6Bbw

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Important to note this happened April 2020 , from the first source Annie posted.

I was thinking this had to have happened last year or before until I read article. No, this year in the middle of ba pandemic. Really seems like a moronic move. Just when the science needs as much information as possible.

"The NIH has not provided a clear explanation for its move to cancel the funds, which occurred April 24 (2020) and was first reported by Politico Monday, April 27. However, in email exchanges published April 30( 2020) by Science magazine, it is clear that the NIH was motivated by conspiracy theories that allege—without evidence—that the virus was somehow released by Chinese researchers in Wuhan, the central Chinese city where the pandemic began."

2 Likes Save    

And here we are, no end in sight to the pandemic in the USA.

3 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Getting closer and closer to being right.........

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

The way Trump keeps focused on blaming Wuhan the more I think he might be involved. Believe me it has crossed my mind. What better way to get rid of the poor, weak and elderly, then rob the treasury.

1 Like Save    
George Davis

Do people really not understand how many German people were killed. Many more than the Jews. The biggest continent on the planet laid waste. And bunker baby has a copy of the hilter's playbook by his dresser. This, waste of space who's failed at everything he's done wants to be remembered. Even now with all he's done it's nothing. Nothing at all that compared to what's coming.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration has balked at providing billions of dollars to fund coronavirus testing and shore up federal health agencies as the virus surges across the country, complicating efforts to reach agreement on the next round of pandemic aid.

Senate Republicans had drafted a proposal that would allocate $25 billion in grants to states for conducting testing and contact tracing, as well as about $10 billion for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and about $15 billion for the National Institutes of Health, according to a person familiar with the tentative plans, who cautioned that the final dollar figures remained in flux. They had also proposed providing $5.5 billion to the State Department and $20 billion to the Pentagon to help counter the virus outbreak and potentially distribute a vaccine at home and abroad.

But in talks over the weekend, administration officials instead pushed to zero out the funding for testing and for the nation’s top health agencies, and to cut the Pentagon funding to $5 billion, according to another person familiar with the discussions. The people asked for anonymity to disclose private details of the talks, which were first reported byThe Washington Post.

The suggestions from the administration infuriated several Republicans on Capitol Hill, who saw them as tone deaf, given that more than 3.7 million people in the United States have been infected with the coronavirus and many states are experiencing spikes in cases. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/us/politics/trump-virus-testing-relief-congress.html

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

After all, why should we need testing or help distributing a vaccine to come during a global pandemic where the US tops the world in cases despite having only 4% of the world's population...

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

And now he's got this new guy pushing for herd immunity which, by some estimates means over 2 million Americans will die of covid before the proportions necessary to achieve an estimated "herd immunity" can be achieved.

BTW, this is a total misconception of the "herd immunity" which was based on the concept of vaccinating enough of the population to prevent widespread epidemic of a disease...not letting everyone get sick and letting those who die, die as just a cost of doing business.

But in trump's world...better to have people die, just so he can watch college football before Nov elections.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Tell Us: Do You Know How to Live With Your Parents?
If you've tried multigenerational living under one roof, we'd love to hear the details
Full Story
Flowers and Plants Try This Native Alternative to Mexican Feather Grass
Alkali sacaton is a beautiful western U.S. bunchgrass for Southwestern gardeners with even the most difficult clay or alkaline soil
Full Story
Lawn Alternatives Try Adaptable, Shade-Tolerant Sedges for a Grasslike Look
These native ground covers from around the U.S. thrive in shady areas where lawns suffer — and you don’t have to mow them
Full Story