SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joelewers

Need help with exterior of home. What media goes well with stucco?

Joel
4 years ago

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are building a house in the next year or so (fingers crossed) and we could use some help with the exterior.

Due to budgetary constraints, we're planning for white stucco on 90% of the walls (back & sides), but we want to break up the front elevation with different media to tie in with the stucco. Board & batten, shake, etc. Brick would be pricey but I'm willing to consider it in small amounts. We're not really into stone, but maybe that's because we haven't seen any good examples on houses where we live.

(Is stucco + board & batten a strange combo or transition of materials? I don't see it a whole lot, at least not in the style we're aiming for.)

With the production floor plan that we chose, we want to get as close to that Modern Farmhouse look as possible. We're deciding between white or black windows (the latter being more expensive, correct?) Dark or black trims, fascia, and gutters are a possibility, although I'm not sure how those would handle the high desert sunshine and elements. Also, we could use some ideas for front & garage door colors, materials, and styles.

White will be the dominant exterior color, but we're open to different media and contrasting colors. We just want something with visual interest while also being easy on the eyes. But most importantly, it needs to be cohesive; we'll be living in this house for a long time!

(The interior will be nice and breezy: light oak laminate floors throughout, white walls & woodwork, quartz countertops, and cream cabinets.)

So here are a couple images of what we're working with:

Hopefully those pictures can give you an idea of the depths & dimensions. Looking forward to hearing your ideas! Thanks, everyone.

Joel & Vanessa,

Northeast Nevada

Comments (7)