SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tangerinedoor

Pick a new color for my front door... Please!

tangerinedoor
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I need a new color for my front door, which I will paint this summer.

The current blue color was chosen before the house had siding, and I hate it.

The siding is a very dark brown. It was called "graphite", but it's not grey or black. The exterior design of the house (e.g. the shed roof) would be called "industrial", a very common style in this town. The background of the front door is galvanized siding but matte, not super glossy.

And, no, I can't change the white skirting: it's required by my lender.

The property is very environment-friendly and not the least bit "manicured".

I am open to most any color except red. the BM folks tell me red (and tints with a lot of yellow) is subject to fading on front doors. I don't plan to make repainting this a frequent habit. It's gonna be a pain in the butt to get it sanded and painted so the door still closes (it's a high efficiency house and has a very snug door to minimize leaks).

Strangely, I had thought about a pink shade, or blue-green, but I hadn't gone any further than that.

Comments (76)

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Lilac could be pretty but I wonder if it would blend in too much with the gray siding. A raspberry color like BM Royal Flush could be pretty as well.

tangerinedoor thanked katinparadise
  • Daniela Marino
    3 years ago

I loooove the Salmon Mousse and also (a bit less) the Frosted Rose proposed by katinparadise. But, I’d paint the wooden steps also, preferably white as the trim and skirt or light gray as the galvanized door background. Or could also be dark brown as the siding or the color you’ll choose for the door. The pine color pop up, I think.

tangerinedoor thanked Daniela Marino
  • dsimber
    3 years ago

Fun to consider different colors, but really, how can you beat this? re-posted from upthread

tangerinedoor thanked dsimber
  • Mark Brunner
    3 years ago

We used Behr Cajun Red on our door. Looks more orange in the picture. It has nice red under tone.

tangerinedoor thanked Mark Brunner
  • Susan Davis
    3 years ago

Whenever I see dark houses such as yours with a modern twist, the color of door is most often in an orange tone, and I think it is because that color is rather easy to landscape around with flowers or flowering plants.....so I vote orange.

Otherwise, if you have an definite color inside your home, you could select a variation of that color for you door in any intensity that works with your interior design scheme.

tangerinedoor thanked Susan Davis
  • tcronan40
    3 years ago

No reason both sides of the door have to be the same color. Mine isn’t.

tangerinedoor thanked tcronan40
  • tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do y'all think a Tangerine/orange door might look a bit Halloween? That's the reason I didn't go with it in the first place (my moniker shows my first choice). The house is NOT gray. It's very very dark brown. Definitely a brown. I LOVE the color, but I didn't see it until the evening before the house was done, and it quite surprised me!

Oooh, I do like that cajun color. That's a pretty door, too, Mark; I have to stick with mine, but that's a good take on "door with molded panels", and you're a good sport to go along with what I have.

That Royal Flush intrigues me, katinparadise. You might be onto something.

My inside is BM linen on walls (has a yellow tone), white cabinets and trim, black countertops (chosen by Houzzers), natural birch floors, and 1' deep natural pine window sills. A number of leaf-colored accessories, plants, etc.

So, the front door has to work with that palette.

So far, everything recommended upthread is possible! Y'all are awesome! Very generous with your thoughts. This house project has had a large team to make it happen: consider yourselves part of it.

And, you're right, Daniela, the steps have to be painted. They were installed last fall (as a gift from the builder), so I couldn't get to them before it was too cold to paint. One challenge I do have on the steps... I'm thinking I have to stain the treads different colors. There are a lot of elderly folks here, some can't see so well, and it's hard to make out where to step.

Even I had this problem, but one elderly woman got up the steps unexpectedly and couldn't get down because she couldn't tell where to put her feet! (People seem to think my house is a tourist attraction, and randomly show up to have a look. Funny.)

Y'all might have a different way to do the treads so they're safe? I can't use anything sticky, because there's too much grit around, sand, winter salt, and if a corner rucks up, I've got a tripping hazard. I have to be able to shovel snow off easily.

I agree the trim on the stairs needs to be white.

• kathleen MK
    3 years ago

Yes my doors are plain vanilla inside and bold colors outside. I understand the lender requiring skirt to keep out critters but can't it be painted to blend with your color scheme? Either way I would hide it with plants and coordinate the color of the flowers with the door. Tangerine door and orange daylights or cannas. Shrubs with pink and white flowers with the blush pink door. Teal will go with any flower color.
    just pick you favorite color for the door and repeat the color in the landscaping.

tangerinedoor thanked kathleen MK
  • tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The skirting can't be painted 'cos it's vinyl. Eventually, I plan to upstage it with showy shrubs, though. The rest of the yard is wild and natives. Hopefully, no lawn.

• george carol
    3 years ago

i found this color wich i really like !

actually i also really like double doors i think its adding a magic when you entering a house !

tangerinedoor thanked george carol
  • Daniela Marino
    3 years ago

I understand... Perhaps if you paint the step vertical side in one color and the flat side in other, the treads could be more notorious?

• Daniela Marino
    3 years ago

I like the third photo the most, with the vertical side of the steps in the same color than the door

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Tangerinedoor, I've seen the raspberry on an exterior door and it's very pretty. This orange is Sunset Boulevard by Benjamin Moore.

Or an orange with a touch of red-almost a deep peach. BM Picante.

Or Hot Spice

• tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Daniela, what a great idea to paint the risers the same color as the door. I'm thinking I can take that idea and paint the edges of the treads instead of the risers....

If anyone has ANY tips to make those outdoor steps safer, please contribute them! Think snow, ice, visually impaired, elderly... I don't want a ramp yet. The builder on purpose made them hefty and wide (yep, he built them for me as a gift).

• tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That's a very pretty blue in that last photo of Daniela's. Anyone any idea what that is?

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Maybe something like Benjamin Moore Un-teal We Meet Again?

They have lots of beautiful options in that type of color.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color-families/blu/blue?source=%2Fen-us%2Fcolor-overview%2Ffind-your-color%2Fcolor-families

• Daniela Marino
    3 years ago

An old project, it has no info about materials used...

• Daniela Marino
    3 years ago

It uses also inside, but the risers are decorated with mosaics

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Please note that if this is for safety reasons, and it appears that it is, white on the risers is probably best...unless you were to choose fluorescent. The highest contrast possible would be important.

tangerinedoor thanked dsimber
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

don't forget some potted plants, a nice light and a little decking area

I also think this slat wood would look better than the white. I'd do a vertical slat around your door w/this type of wood.

tangerinedoor thanked Beth H. :
  • HU-130238424
    3 years ago

Does it need to be a ’color’? Because what I see for this door is a grey/brown/purple. SW Mink, Foothills, Elephant Ear, Hammered Silver, Folkstone

tangerinedoor thanked HU-130238424
  • tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth, I love that Green Apple color and the chartreuse, as well as the shapes of those planters.

The silver color around the door is galvanized metal. It fits with the local theme of using "industrial" materials. If it had added appraisal value and not just cost, I might have done something instead of vinyl siding, but I do love the brown color.

I do like the wood look you show, but nothing can now be attached to the outside walls of the house in any way, shape, or fashion. EVER: it's a highly energy-efficient house and attaching anything breaks the seal.

Wood slats can't be used for skirting either (the builder and I both tried to get creative here: we wanted corrugated metal), because our thaw/freeze cycles move it all around. The vinyl skirting just bends when pressured so it's practical around here.

Glad you mentioned a deck. I'm getting a deck around the back in the next week or two. At some point, I'd like to enhance the front entrance with a cover (or something), but I'm not in a hurry.

• tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for finding that blue, katinparadise. I sure have a lot to choose from!

• Natalie Bailey
    3 years ago

Paint white! It was look really pretty😎😍👍😁

tangerinedoor thanked Natalie Bailey
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

well maybe you could free stand the slat just for an accent. and i think Hardie has cedar look alike.

just saw this shot. what do you think about the cement block pavers? hot pink door is cute too

tangerinedoor thanked Beth H. :
  • kmpwylie
    3 years ago

I like your original tangerine idea. I do think the modern/industrial feel calls for a strong color. Nothing to dark unless you go with a brown to match the siding.

tangerinedoor thanked kmpwylie
  • tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, Beth, that studio with the bubblegum pink door is awesome. And I do like the pavers; they just might not be practical for here, owing to snow and making it easy for older folks to get around without tripping. However, you're giving me the idea of doing pavers for the pathway I have to install that goes around the back.

I didn't quite take in that you had the cedar panel freestanding. Yeah, that looks great.

Oooohhh! my gosh. You just gave me a great idea! I'm going to stain the front steps that cedar shade....

Groan, I have sooooo much to do!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

Pink goes great with brown.

tangerinedoor thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

kmpwylie, maybe you're right and I have to do a very strong color on the door to make it pop against the galvanized background.

I have a bench that I painted the equivalent of BM Blood Orange, so I can put it outside in front of the door and see if I like the color.

I suppose I could paint the galvalume siding that frames the door... I hadn't thought about that until right this minute. If anyone has ideas about what it might look like if the galvalume were a different color....

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

I wish I had minimal photoshop skills to offer you, tangerinedoor! Have you tried playing around the SW site? I think it allows you to upload a picture and edit it with their colours. I could see a tan around the door and a deep purple on the door - I'm a fan of pairing brown and purple.

tangerinedoor thanked tartanmeup
  • tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My "say thank you"s don't stay put. Anyway, I've thanked y'all at least 3 times over.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I think I got five! You're welcome ;)

• Hansen
    3 years ago

Tangerine is the right color

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Houzz can be so glitchy at times! You are more than welcome for my input, tangerine. I can think of worse ways to spend my time than suggest paint colours to a friendly Internet stranger. :)

Have you decided on any changes? If you do, I hope you'll share a before and after with us. I decor vicariously through many of you Houzzers. :P

• hopetietz
    3 years ago

I love the apple green with the brown siding. Also, what about raspberry?

• jbtanyderi
    3 years ago

Bittersweet, teal, or sage would all work.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Please humor me. Why is your username “tangerinedoor” yet you are asking what color to paint your door? 😉

• tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dsimber My first choice was tangerine. That was before the house was built. Then, it turned out they had to use a different siding company and the siding was a different color than the original choice. It became too difficult for me to choose a good one: tangerine can be very BAD or very good. It was going to be a crap shoot.

I picked the blue without ever having seen the house (the house was built indoors).

I hated the blue from the get-go, but it is what it is.

I am now repainting. Good thing I'm getting rid of the blue, because bees love blue and they're loving that door!

• tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I got the front door painted, but I want y'all to know I check out EVERY SINGLE one of the colors you suggested.

I was especially guided by comments that said I needed "heft" and "strong" to balance out the color of the siding. And then I had to rule out colors that weren't available in "exterior". Yep, you can get whatever color you want mixed, but I found out from the BM folks that there are technical reasons why the paint color is not available except by custom mix (e..g the color interacts with sunlight).

Then I eliminated the colors I thought I might love, but would maybe get tired of in the short-ish term.

It came down to teals, a berry color, and greens.

SW Arugula won the day because it POPPED the most and suits the setting.

(Note: the blue tape is on the inside of the door; I'm still painting)

• rachann61
    3 years ago

I like it a lot. It will compliment your natural landscaping. I would think if you steered your landscape style in the “native plants” it will look stunning. Rocks and such. What is already on the land now?

tangerinedoor thanked rachann61
  • katinparadise
    3 years ago

Very nice. It looks great against the lighter siding.

• tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@rachann61 My property is designated "Certified Wildlife Habitat", so the goal is, yes, native plants wherever I can, and no lawn. The periphery is "urban wilderness", but as far as I can tell, that translates into "invasives" of every description. I also have poison ivy in every nook and cranny. But, oh, well, two grey foxes there last week.....

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Wow! I just saw your door! Maybe you can tweak your user name: “green tangerine” with a nod to late ‘60s pop music!

• rachann61
    3 years ago

It’s Creme Tangerine montelimar

• Denita
    3 years ago

Looks great! My daughter is painting her master bath SW Arugula too :)

tangerinedoor thanked Denita
  • Amber Webb
    3 years ago

I think a bright light green would be nice if you like bright colors.

• tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Neither my thank you buttons nor my LIKE buttons are working....

If you can help me figure out what stain to use on those steps, I now have a thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5927830/i-painted-the-front-door-but-what-about-the-deck

• suezbell
    3 years ago

IF/when you repaint, consider white and add a glass storm door with white frame.

You might also find out if there are rules against adding an awning the same width as the white siding around the front door -- perhaps one with gray tinting that could reduce weather damage to the door, including sun damage.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Palram-Aquila-1500-4-ft-11-in-Solar-Gray-Door-Canopy-Awning-701141/205376878

• dsimber
    3 years ago

The door has been painted! If you want to help, read the most recent questions, please and thank you. 😉 I would love to see a photo of your entire house in its natural setting now. (Hint, hint.)

• umouthingme
    3 years ago

Not trying to be a negative Nelly, but I preferred the color it was...I also agree with someone else who stated the door does not fit the style of the house.

tangerinedoor thanked umouthingme
Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz