SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Anyone with experience with painting over grasscloth walpaper?

4 years ago

We're the new owners of a 40 year old townhouse we bought from the original owners. Tons of wallpaper all over the place, and quite a bit of it is grasscloth. I really like the plain, standard, neutral-colored grasscloth and plan to try to save it in some of the rooms if possible. We can tell they hired a real expert to apply the wallpaper. It is still as firmly adhered as the day it was put up, and their paper hanger was meticulous and did an excellent job.

However, the dining room in particular has me stumped. It needs to be completely done over to lighten it up. The room is too dark to begin with (windowless interior room), and the grasscloth has darkened over time. One of the walls is covered in a truly hideous, circa late 70s, patterned grasscloth--a boldly patterned zigzag print in gold, an almost rust color, and a beige that is quite lavender. I'm old enough to remember when prints like his were in vogue, and I don't want to relive the era.

I was going to have it all removed but know taking it off of sheetrock can be a real PIA. Then, I started to think about painting over it. I've researched and read where people say to do it because it makes for a lovely textured wall, and I've also read where people say don't even think about it. The primary cons I've read are potential removal problems for future owners who want to redecorate and also some say it can look like fake vinyl.

Has anyone done this or seen it done? Thoughts? Thanks.

Comments (17)