SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyjomeyers

Help. What to plant on North wall in Southern California?

laceyjomeyers
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our home is near the coast of the South Bay in Southern California. Upon purchase of our home the perimeter of our back yard (South, West and North) walls had bamboo planted. After two years it was out of control. We removed it and patiently waited to see if anything would grow back. With time on our hands now we are deep into getting our backyard Summer ready. I’d love to add a pool on the lawn area but that’s a project for a later date. As you can see in pictures we have planted the South and West walls with a mix of what will be pleached white birch, azalea and hydrangea (west wall) and hydrangea and silver sheen (south wall) my question is what to do with the north wall. It can get into the 80s in July/August with a coastal breeze. We’d like some privacy from our neighbors home. Still an airy feeling to it not a wall. My question is really do I go with silver sheen and something else lower to the ground? Would it be a design flaw to go totally different? I’d love a citrus tree but unsure about that too. Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments (2)