SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_weiss66

Family room input wanted

Beth Weiss
4 years ago

Our family room has a big sectional, a corner fireplace, no TV, a wall of games, and a built-in bar. We have long term plans to remodel the kitchen, which will have some impact on the family room but we haven't made any decisions there.

We aren't planning on replacing the sectional at this time--it's very comfortable and although it's a bit big for the space, replacing it is not in the budget right now.

I am asking for advice on how to finish up this room.

Any advice on pillows? I love the throw and I like the multi-colored pillow but I'm not sure I like them together.I think the blue ones are bland. I can make or buy pillows--but am not sure how to choose the fabric.

One issue in the room is that the fireplace has 3 different surfaces going on--none of which are anywhere else in the room. I think the mantle is too big for that wall and would like to remove at least one layer (the busiest one) from the mantle and then paint the mantle white. I have the name of someone who paints brick so that it still looks like brick but a different color (in this case we'd go light). Thoughts?

I do love the art over the fireplace. I like the two smaller pieces, too, but don't really like how they look in these spots.

Do the two tables need lamps for height interest? We both read in there, but generally (not always) on our iPads. There's unfinished basement below so we could add a floor outlet for lamps.

Should I work on my husband to let me paint the bar? If so, what color? (I already want to replace the wine rack with a shelf for liquor--right now, the overflow from the cabinet is on the counter which I think looks cluttered)

There is one more wall, which is our games wall. We were just starting to look for an armoire to hold the games (behind doors) when we went to stay-at-home. Once we get an armoire, we'll figure out if either piece of artwork still goes there.

Should we move the red rug into the family room? (it actually seems to work with the sectional, but it'd be a lot of red)

Thanks for any advice or thoughts--like many of us, I'm spending my at-home time improving my home!

Comments (2)