SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miguel_palacios59

Plaster? Drywall? Need help!!!

Miguel Palacios
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

hello everyone. I am having trouble right now with my walls in my livingroom. So when we first moved into the house, it had that cheap faux wood panelling on it from the 70s and it had just been painted over by the last owner. We decided to hold off on removing it right away and we just painted our color of preference over it. Well today I finally went for it and removed the panelling and I was horrified by the condition of the wall underneath. What is most disconcerting to me is that it's not like any drywall I've ever seen. I wasn't sure if maybe it was a different material of sheetrock or something. The best way to explain it is that it is very weak and crumbly. It's gray like cement and when we drill into it, it just crumbles like gray sand. I have never ever seen anything like this before so I do not know what it is. I started looking online and I cant find anything that fits this description. I was a little scared because I thought it might be plaster but from what i've seen on youtube, if it was plaster, you would see the laths wherever it crumbles. In the holes I've seen, theyre completely empty. It's almost like if they were made out of a very weak cement. I was planning on removing it and replacing it with modern drywall but I want to make sure I know how to properly remove this material before I jump in. I don't want to make anything worse. I already purchased the drywall to install but now I am wondering if I should just go over what's there now with 1/4 drywall. I feel like the previous owner didn't want to deal with getting the walls redone so they just had cheap panelling go over it. I'll post a pic of an area where you can see holes and corners cracking. It's terrible.

Comments (15)