Trump Pushes False Argument on Vote-by-Mail Fraud. Here Are the Facts.

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Trump is hauling out the old "voterfraud" argument that repeatedly, over time, has been shown to be invalid. But he persists in believing that Hillary's 3 mill. more popular votes than he got were somehow fraudulently obtained.

------------------------

"With concerns mounting over how the country can conduct elections during a pandemic and Democrats pressing for alternatives to in-person voting, President Donald Trump has begun pushing a false argument that has circulated among conservatives for years — that voting by mail is a recipe for fraud.

“Mail ballots, they cheat,” Trump said at the White House on Tuesday afternoon. . . .

[NOTE: He wasn't really that concise. I just didn't want to copy all his repetitions of that claim.]

[. . .]

Here’s a look at the facts on the matter.

#1 - All voter fraud is extremely rare. Studies have shown that all forms of voting fraud are extremely rare in the United States. A national study in 2016 found few credible allegations of fraudulent voting. A panel that Trump charged with investigating election corruption found no real evidence of fraud before he disbanded it in 2018.

“What we know can be boiled down to this: Voting fraud in the United States is rare; less rare is fraud using mail ballots,” said Charles Stewart III of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

[. . .]

The North Carolina case also illustrates the fact that frauds big enough to sway the outcome of an election — those involving campaigns rather than individual voters — will likely be detected, said Michael McDonald, a University of Florida political scientist and elections scholar.

#2 - States that vote entirely by mail see little fraud. Five states, including the Republican bastion of Utah, now conduct all elections almost entirely by mail. They report very little fraud.

#3 - Republicans say voting by mail gives Democrats an advantage. [. . .] The president Wednesday tweeted that mail-in voting “for whatever reason, doesn’t work out well for Republicans.” In Georgia, where the secretary of state is mailing all voters absentee ballot requests for the May primary, the state House speaker, David Ralston, a Republican, told a local news site, “This will be extremely devastating to Republicans and conservatives in Georgia. . . ."

#4 - The president, vice president and Cabinet members have voted by mail recently. Trump, while criticizing mail voting, recently acknowledged that in March he voted absentee by mail in his adopted home state of Florida. In the 2018 midterm elections, Trump voted absentee by mail from New York.

Trump is hardly the only administration official to vote by mail.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-pushing-false-argument-vote-120528326.html

----------------------------------------

We have cited this information over and over again here on HT. About time some posters started believing us.

Kate

SaveComment26Like1
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Blanche Dubois

They don't' want every American to vote. Just the Russian Red ones.

3 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I started a thread but deleted it and will tack my information onto this one because it's related.

Vote by mail is going to be a game changer. Once people know they can vote from the comfort of their homes, I believe the the voting rates will rise significantly. I have been using Vote By Mail for several years now and I love it because often with have ballot initiatives which would take forever to read in a polling booth.

From NY: Local officials report being inundated with requests for absentee ballots following Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's Wednesday authorization of universal voting by mail in elections slated for June 23.

Then this from Elizabeth Warren in response: This is a good step. Other states should follow—and I’m calling on Congress to include vote by mail and other steps in the next coronavirus relief package to keep voters across the country safe and strengthen our democracy.

5 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

I listened to Trump yesterday about 5 minutes. During that short time he stated that mail in ballots can be used for fraudulent voters like last time. (Not exact quote, going by memory) said there were millions of fake votes last time.

Here we go again with the fake fake votes again, and again and again!!!!

1 Like Save    

I think it's because of his dementia that he keeps repeating stuff like that.

2 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Nyuk, trump is just gearing up for his future "IT WAS RIGGED!!! Campaign this Nov, it doesn't matter if voters go to the polls, go absentee, or mail-ins. He'll say he was robbed.....and of course that it wasn't his fault. sad

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

We vote by mail. I like it. I can look stuff up that I am in doubt about especially initiatives which can be written to obfuscate. I have to sign my ballot affirming I am who I say I am and so on. I can go to prison for lying. It seems to be working here just fine. I don't even have to provide postage.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

He went on in a presser about how people sit in their living rooms and fill out a hundred mail in ballots. When a reporter reminded him he voted by mail in 2018 he said “I’m allowed.”

Really Trumpers? You’re still with this guy after listening to the lies, crackpot nonsense and gibberish everyday in his nightly reality tv rallies?

Guess who will be sitting in his living room and filling out a hundred ballots?

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

We have cited this information over and over again here on HT. About time some posters started believing us.

No chance. I'm afraid that you aren't going to win that argument without voter ID. I haven't heard one valid argument against voter ID, just the same old "prove it" nonsense. The OP proves it.

Save    
lurker111

"Just a little fraud here and there. Now, look over there."

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Trump’s own voter fraud commission headed by Kobach shut down after only a few months because they could not find evidence of voter fraud—-a few cases here and there but certainly nothing to sway any election.

5 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

The reprehensible GOP proved with the Wisconsin primary this week they don’t care if people die to stay in power. The fraud is by the GOP and they admit it with their voter suppression tactics and gerrymandering.

5 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

4 Likes Save    

I think vote by mail is even more important now that we know there might be a second wave of this.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

I'll accept mail in with a fingerprint. Good enough for now. We don't want the "Russians" to vote by mail. There isn't one single valid argument against voter ID, and the continuous fight against it by one party is very telling. The left knows they will lose every election if a voter ID is required.

Save    
Kathy

This is what voting was like in Wi. 5 voting places instead of 182 and no extended mail-in. GOP VOTER SUPPRESSION!

6 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

It's not about being against voter ID laws.

It about being against voter ID laws that aren't equitable.

There's are good ways to do it.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

I’ve been voting Dem for 50 years. Never had to show ID, only confirm name and address. So, were all those elections fraudulent?

I had to show my ID to register in each state I lived in.

Dems want everyone to vote regardless of party, pubs do not because they know they can’t win unless they suppress the vote, gerrymander, play dirty tricks like the Wisconsin primary.

3 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

We've been exclusively voting by mail in Oregon for twenty years. The system is secure and works.

5 Likes Save    
lurker111

I don't think there is any reason to vote at this point. Bernie doesn't stand a chance. GOP voter suppression...LOL!!!!

Save    
lurker111

There's are good ways to do it.

Yep, a voter ID with a picture and a fingerprint. Perfect.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Convince us first that there is a real problem. Then we might be willing to consider "fixes."

When Trumplicans fail to show there is a real problem but keep on insisting we "fix" the non-problem anyway, we tend to wonder if they have an agenda other than actually preventing voter fraud (which doesn't exist to any meaningful degree).

Kate

4 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

With a mail in ballot who do you show that ID to? How do you affix a finger print? Practical problems Lurker. Now I just sign my ballot and they can compare it to the one on file. If they have a problem they get in touch with me. My state doesn't believe I am a criminal. They would need some reason to think so. If I am doing it fraudulently I will go to prison. That seems to be working just fine.

2 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

Now I just sign my ballot and they can compare it to the one on file. If they have a problem they get in touch with me.

That's how it's done in Oregon.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Ask Trump how he does it.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

I wonder if the IRS should have us all verify our identity as well? Clearly just signing your tax return must not be enough proof. And what about receiving Social Security and Medicare benefits?

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

psst...
Voter Id is not much use when the voters are wearing masks.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Is Open-Plan Living a Fad, or Here to Stay?
Architects, designers and Houzzers around the world have their say on this trend and predict how our homes might evolve
Full Story
Working With an Architect How to Hire the Right Architect
Your perfect match is out there. Here’s how to find good candidates — and what to ask at that first interview
Full Story
Bathroom Workbook Should You Keep Your Tub?
There are reasons to have a bathtub, and plenty of reasons not to. Here’s how to decide if you should keep yours or pull the plug
Full Story