SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylor_boglioli

Sectional Mistake / Designing an Old Farmhouse Living Room

Taylor Boglioli
4 years ago

Hi! I just had the sectional I have been waiting weeks for delivered yesterday! I need some input on how to arrange things- although, the sectional will have to live where it currently is I think. It is only 2 pieces, plus a moveable chaise lounger, rather than being more of the traditional, arrange-how-you-want sectional.

Now, we have a less than ideal home for what I envision the kind of furniture I would like to have. It's a renovated late 1800s farm house and while SO beautiful, the layout is just.. very old. Case in point: the living room has a HUGE off center archway that goes from the dining room to the living room. Another wall has the staircase, the other has the front door (hardly ever used, but since the staircase is right there next to it, can't be blocked) and 2 windows. There is just a lot of constraints when trying to place anything here...The TV we have is 75" as well, so it's not exactly something that can hide in the corner.

We love feeling comfy- that was a big reason why I wanted the sectional in the first place. We are not chic or trendy and we want our home to feel lived in and super welcoming.

I have attached pictures of what our living room looks like right now. Again, this is a day after we got this so it's in disarray. I think the sofa has to stay where it is, as I see no other option. I just can't decide on the TV. We are planning on new carpet that is a bit more neutral and we need a TV stand, clearly. Plus, different end tables (we have walnut trees on our property, so we may make some cool rustic looking ones out of that) but I just need help making this look.... good.

Any kind of insight would be amazing, I am kind of regretting buying this sofa, although I still LOVE sectionals. We can't afford to offload it and get a new one, as we will lose probably about half of what I just paid for it. Any help with light fixtures, possible TV stand solutions, mount vs unmount, trying to hide so much stereo equipment... really anything you can throw at me, would be very appreciated!

One last thing to note: my boyfriend isn't super happy about this set up. He is very TV/entertainment focused, whereas I don't really care what my view is to the TV, I just want to be comfortable haha. He is looking for the best seat in the house and to have people be able to come over and watch football or whatever and be able to see everything!

Thank you!

Comments (9)