Coronavirus: Tips How to Keep Your DH Happy During "Stay At Home"

elvis

The Malaysian government's department for women has apologised after it released a series of online posters telling women how to keep their men happy during the COVID-19 lockdown. Titled "Household Happiness", the tips posted on Facebook and Instagram included giggling coyly instead of nagging, not allowing your appearance to slip and making sure the home is clean.

Women are advised to keep themselves presentable during lockdown.

One suggested women avoid being sarcastic if their partner was not helping with the housework.

Titled "Household Happiness", the tips posted on Facebook and Instagram included giggling coyly instead of nagging, not allowing your appearance to slip and making sure the home is clean.

The online posters, with the hashtag #WanitaCegahCOVID19 (Women Prevent COVID-19), were condemned by women's rights groups who said the campaign could worsen gender stereotypes and possibly encourage domestic violence. The Women's Centre for Change (WCC) said the Facebook and Instagram posts reinforced negative gender stereotypes of both women and men. "It implies that women are ultimately responsible for getting domestic chores done when the duty should be a shared one," it said in a statement. "It makes women the ones who need to persuade their partners to chip in, and worse, asks that women downplay a rightful request by using infantile language and mannerisms - so as not to offend the apparent sensitivities of men.

"The implicit message is that men are allowed to slack off on domestic work and it's women who must follow up with them - but they should only do so nicely. "In short, it sends the message that women are subordinate in the home and are not allowed to function as equals to men."

In a statement the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry said the aim had been to share methods and practices to sustain positive relationship within a family while women are working from home. Director-general Datuk Saidatu Akhma Hassan said: "We are sorry if some of tips shared were inappropriate and touched on the sensitivities of some parties, and we will be more careful in the future." Three of the four posters have now been removed from social media.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-how-to-keep-your-husband-happy-in-lockdown-posters-condemned-11966597

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
how2girl

Yep, with a pop. of 62% Islam it’s heavily weighted towards those gender stereotypes.

Save     Thanked by elvis
arthurm2015(Micro-Climate, Zone 10b Sydney, Australia)

The Dragon Woman is in charge here, so I do as ordered.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
how2girl

Way to go Arthur...

1 Like Save     Thanked by elvis
heri_cles

Everyone to their neutral corners.

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Some call it social distancing - we call it marital distancing.

Kathy

Happy wife happy life. It’s a good mantra for men.

Save     Thanked by elvis
palisades_

A contractor who worked at my house once said: when mama is happy everyone is happy.

Evidently over there, when papa is happy everyone is happy.

But I’d like to see equal partnership in everything.

foodonastump

I sent the picture from the OP to my wife. I’m so happy her company has embraced video calls: the office got cleaned, she’s showering and making herself presentable every day. I never roll out of bed mid morning to find her working in her bathrobe with a mess of hair and no makeup. It’s great!

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

For me the big question every day is which pair of yoga pants to put on.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis
elvis

Same here. Let's face, jeans are not particularly comfy.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 10 Tips for Keeping Indoor Cats Healthy and Happy
It's National Cat Day: Ask not what your cat can do for you (because it will ignore you) but what you can do for your cat
Full Story
Sheltering at Home How to Assist Others During the Coronavirus Crisis
You can show kindness and help those who need it the most while you stay close to home. Here are ways to do it
Full Story
Healthy Home Keeping Your Pet Calm and Carrying On During Fireworks
A few proactive steps can keep pets safer and feeling less stressed when the Fourth of July rolls around
Full Story