And what about Hair, just for a laugh...

tryingtounderstand

Thought I would post this, bring a bit of lighthearted convo. So, what are folks doing about their mane?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/pandemic-haircuts-have-begun-and-they-re-just-as-bad-as-you-think-1.4887487

SaveComment83Like1
Comments (83)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vedabeeps

We cut DHs hair with clippers over the weekend and did a pretty good job! He would have been fine with shaving it all off but I intervened. His hair is so thick and grows so fast that if we were to have cut it poorly it wouldn’t take long for it to grow out and need another cut anyhow. No biggie.

I have long hair and since I’m not using any styling products, letting it air dry and using Olaplex every 4-5 days it looks fantastic- super shiny and healthy. I’ll need to color it when it’s time to go out in public again but in the mean time it is enjoying the time off.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
paprikash

14 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

So funny.

I wear my hair long and have it up in a bun 99.99% of the time, when it’s not up it’s braided so I’m fine hair-wise and yet I have been tempted to buzz it on several occasions!!! It must be something in the air...

Husband has always cycled between buzz cut and long hair though he’s been going to the barber with some frequency for the past two years—he and our littlest guy like to have that date together, so cute! So he isn’t bothered. And he is good at cutting the boys’ hair and actually can give a pretty good trim for the girls too.

Our eldest (16) recently forayed into a bleached bob and she had her roots done about two weeks ago (her best friend’s mom does it from home so we figured it was pretty low-risk). I actually prefer it when the roots start to grow out a bit, I’m a 90s kid what can I say? 15yo wants to dye hers pink with a box from the grocery store, yikes. 15yo and 13yo recently emerged from the bathroom having created an eyebrow slit in 13yo’s right brow. It must be something in the air again lol...

All that to say, hair isn’t a major pre-occupation in our house. I am more or less down with any stylistic outbursts as long as they aren’t permanent. (I don’t love the hair dye due to the chemicals, don’t permit it until they can pay for it themselves. At 16 what can I say, it’s her body and her money. All I can do is tell her what I think (and boy do I lol) and then leave her alone about it.)

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I want to buzz mine too. I have stopped looking in the mirror. It helps.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand

It’s funny, watching post-apocalypse and dystopian movies in the past I would always wonder why every single one showed the entire population with edgy hair cuts and wild colours, multiple piercings, tattoos, etc. Where are the average people, I would think.

Now I know.

We all lose our damn minds in cataclysmic events and turn into counter-culture punk rockers!

ROFL

10 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
lurker111

My hair is past my elbows...Not cutting it, just a trim. :^)

AnnKH

I started growing my hair out in November - I'm so glad that it was my decision, rather than have it thrust upon me! I do have to use a little hair spray to keep it out of my eyes, until it's long enough to tuck behind my ears. Or a baseball cap.

My son is growing a beard, for the first time (he's 25).

I do have a clipper, in case DH or DS need a cut.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand

My hair is past my elbows...Not cutting it, just a trim. :^)

And that's just the stuff coming out of your ears.

11 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
maifleur03

Last time I had my hair cut in early March for some reason I wanted it much shorter than normal. Joking with the stylist that one of these days I was wanting to shave my head to see what my skull looked like. She was horrified of course. I now wear it much shorter than when I was working and only have it cut about every three-four months when the back grows out or I am tired of it hanging in my eyes and do not want to mess with it.

Several years ago my stylist at that time counted the cowlicks on my scalp and stopped at 18. I have wondered if they are the reason I have body in my hair and why they did nothing when I was younger and had very fine slippery straight hair.

patriciae_gw(07)

I grew out my hair starting in ninth grade when my mother and sister conspired to do horrible things to my head one last time. I swore I would never get it cut again and right up till the day she died my mom would ask " do you still have that stringy mess?" Ahem, I had beautiful glossy chestnut hair. Though these days my hair has suffered and can now truthfully be called a stringy mess I still just let it grow. I wack some off from time to time for conveniences sake. I have always cut my husbands hair. Neither have had difficult hair to cut. I don't perm nor color. If it weren't so much trouble I would probably get my hair cut since my mother has passed but once you cut you have to trim. Indecision is paying off.

queenmargo

I have cut my own hair for the last 10 years or so. I cut my husbands and my dogs too. I figured if I was going to come home and cry I might as well do it myself and cry lol . My Goldendoodle is going on 11. At 6 groomer trips of $100 a time per year, I have saved at least $6000 dollars on the dog alone;)

5 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
Nana H

DH has always despised gong to the barber and goes only when he can' t stand it anymore. He has very thick, curly hair. Between cuts he uses a buzzer to buzz the brillo pad down a bit so he is used to it. I've been trimming the back and over his ears.He's good.

Then there is me, fine hair that needs regular shaping to keep from looking straggly. There is also the issue of maintaining my natural colour ......when I was two. I am getting to the desperate stage so may have to colour it myself but I'm afraid the the straggly look is my new normal.

linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

female with short hair (usually) here

so after 5 weeks overdue, I used trimmers with a "long-hair-adapter"thingy and scissors, managed a 7 out of 10 (used to do my hair as a teenager for a while)

my older son begged me to clipp his hair- he hates his lovely wavy hair, so finally DH had a go at him with the clippers (his first time) because I was busy digging the veggie plot... , quite short (too short IMO) but waves gone and mission acomplished

hubby then turned the clippers on himself and ended up with buzz cut sides and a funny curly top, I tried to even out the rest with the scissors...

oh, and our younger son (9y) is letting his hair grow, I made him wear a headband or something to keep the hair out of the front of his glasses,

one bored morning he took the scissors to his hair, very experimentally, looks now like a shaggy, lovely stray

Sue 430

I was lucky enough to have gotten my hair cut right before the stay at home order. But it’s now getting out of control, especially the bangs. So knowing that I had some Facebook hairdresser friends I shouted out for bang cutting tips, which I’ll try when I can’t take it anymore. I have fine hair, which tends to get very scraggly when not maintained. Worst, we lost power last night and I couldn’t blowdry it today and it is a hot mess. Happily our power is back now. I’m sadly soon going to find out what color my hair really is though

1 Like Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
mudhouse

Sue, I have no haircutting skills, but I taught myself to cut my own bangs too. I'm sure you can do it.

Helpful tip: Never cut your own bangs in the middle of the night after having a big argument with somebody. Trust me.

As long as I follow that rule, it works out fine.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
batyabeth

DW said yesterday she wants to take a buzzer to her hair. I expressed my disapproval. We'll see what happens.

So a question, and I'm just curious: what would happen if you see this as an opportunity to stop dyeing your hair? Last time I was in Chicago I saw SO many women who were proudly silver, and I even asked, and they told me it is considered fashionable now, and besides they just didn't like the chemicals anymore, or they just got tired of the cost, or they just frankly finally thought it wasn't necessary after a lifetime of dyeing. It really was obvious, the percentage of non-dyers, that it struck me. So just askin'.

Nana H

If I could count on a smart silver, or the beautiful grey my Mom was I'd stop colouring my hair in a heart beat

Ann

I have a family member who asked his wife to cut his hair. She gave it her best try. A few days later, he told her he felt he looked like Hitler. He contacted his barber and he and the barber arranged a haircut for him with mask usage and outside on a patio. The barber can't wait to get back to regular work, and I sure expect he'll be extremely busy!

I'm doing fine. I no longer color my hair and I could really use a haircut, but I think I could trim the ends if need be, with the help of my husband for the very back.

mudhouse

A few days later, he told her he felt he looked like Hitler.

LOL Ann!

I have two sisters-in-law that both cut hair for a living. As a result, DH thinks every woman on earth is born with that ability. I'm going to read him your post the next time he suggests I should have a whack at cutting his hair.

momofdoxies

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Bald as can be for now. By the time we all get to the other side of this I will hopefully know what color it will come in this time around.

Ann

"So a question, and I'm just curious: what would happen if you see this as an opportunity to stop dyeing your hair? Last time I was in Chicago I saw SO many women who were proudly silver, and I even asked, and they told me it is considered fashionable now, and besides they just didn't like the chemicals anymore, or they just got tired of the cost, or they just frankly finally thought it wasn't necessary after a lifetime of dyeing. It really was obvious, the percentage of non-dyers, that it struck me. So just askin'. "

Great question. I got quite a bit of gray quite early in life. I started with years of expensive highlights and then moved to dyeing later on (still expensive because my hair grows really fast). In the second half of my forties, I just decided to quit it all. I was frankly growing slightly worried about the harm all those years of hair dye might do health wise. I had an awkward year or so of growing out my natural color, which is far, far worse in the early months than the later months as the natural part flows lower on the head, into the dyed part. Best decision I ever made IMO, but it's a very personal decision. My mom never quit dyeing her hair. I really like my hair color and the best part is, like pre-dyed hair, it has multiple colors in it rather than the very solid look my dyed hair had. The money I save is HUGE, and silver is in style now. Heck, many young women are actually dyeing their hair silver now.

I think this period of closed salons is likely to prompt some more women to make the change. My MIL actually used losing all her hair due to chemo as the time in her life to quit dyeing her hair.

This probably does not make sense, but it seemed several years after going gray, I actually had less gray than earlier - like maybe my scalp was somehow stressed or something from the chemicals and then got healthier????

maifleur03

Ann not certain if it is the same but I notice a difference in hair color depending on what shampoo etc. that I use. I have a glorious rainbow of shades from white, blond, to dark brown. Depending on how I look at my head it can be anything from that streaky coloration that was popular for years to a rich brown.

mudhouse

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Bald as can be for now. By the time we all get to the other side of this I will hopefully know what color it will come in this time around.

momofdoxies, just in case this is because of a medical problem, or treatment like chemo, sending positive thoughts and best wishes your way.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
momofdoxies

Thanks mudhouse. It is due to chemo and bone marrow transplant about 9 weeks ago, but I am doing well. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

17 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
Ann

Momofdoxies, my very best wishes to you also!!!!!

6 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
tryingtounderstand

@mom, you did not hijack the thread, no worries! Just take care of yourself!

5 Likes Save    
deegw

In Colorado, licensed hair professionals who cut hair during the ban can get a very hefty fine (up to $1,000) and jail time.

mudhouse

I agree, momofdoxies, no thread hijacking occurred! So glad to know you're doing well.

I know from reading that hair sometimes regrows after chemo with curls or waves that didn't exist before. Here's hoping your new hairdo comes back with easy care natural curls to get you through to the other side. (You have a shot at being more naturally beautiful than the rest of us, doing battle with curling irons.)

6 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
huachuma

"A few days later, he told her he felt he looked like Hitler."

He may want to cut off the tiny mustache...

9 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
Tilly Teabag

Like Margo I used to cut my own hair. In hard times I cut the family’s too. Other times I shelled out for hairdressers for them. Then more than six months ago I had a hair wash and cut by a hairdresser again and enjoyed the pampering. So last month I went to another one (the first moved further out because her rent was too high.)

I offered gloves to the second one with the corona crisis going on, but she said she can’t cut hair with them on. She did limit to one customer at a time and is discouraging walkins, appointment only.

It is definitely a close contact profession, but when the Federal Govt tried to limit their time per customer to 30 mins each they protested loudly, along with some in social media. Memes came out showing ladies with half of their head dyed only. Then the government relented.

I think in a stage 4 shutdown they will be closed down altogether.

Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
happyleg

It's closed here. I'm still cutting my own.

Tilly Teabag

A pair of thinning scissors like these (at left ) are what I used to layer my hair for years. I didn’t use a level. Tip, don’t cut big bits at once, be patient and do small amounts all over.

Lucille(9a)

Last time I cut my own it was cute. This time, not so much. I'm wearing a wig to walk the dog...

9 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
elvis

Mine's very long, has been for awhile. I've been thinking about cutting it for 4 years.

Batyabeth wrote^^^: So a question, and I'm just curious: what would happen if you see this as an opportunity to stop dyeing your hair?

Back when I used to have it cut, I also had it colored to cover the silvers that were popping up here and there. One day I ran into a retired co-worker I hadn't seen for a few years. She looked radiant, so we talked about that. She told me that she was taking very good care of herself, especially after surviving a bout with kidney cancer. She was sans makeup, and had some silver in her brown hair. She said that she found that hair color was absorbed into the body and was not good to the kidneys, so she stopped.

So did I. Happy day! I don't mind the silvers at all. Now, maybe if I get a lot more of them, I'll mind. Time will tell. Anyway, this is how my hair looked in February of this year, I'm the one with the hat.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
happyleg

I don't dye.

Ann

Gorgeous hair Elvis. I can't even see any silver. I bet you won't even notice as you get more because it will be such a gradual process. Maybe, it will even reverse a bit as I think happened to me.

Maifleur, you mentioned all the many colors in your hair. I love that part too, once you stop coloring.

I actually think nature has a nice way of giving one the silver and gray colors that work with your skin and eye tones - exactly like when you are young. When and if we get really old, most will go quite white, but before then the silvers and grays tend to go with one's natural coloring IMO.

palisades_

I really enjoy this thread, the stories, pix of the poochie and that luscious waterfall hair :)

it can be an agonizing thought to do or dye.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
how2girl

Couple of looks to aspire to...

I just read that Flowbees have made a resurgence. They are sold out on Amazon.

lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

Elvis, you have pretty hair.

Lol, my pixie is turning into a mullet. I was just thinking about that the other day. :-)

I refuse to go out in winter unless absolutely necessary, so my hair is waaaay overdue for some attention. No matter how long/short it is, it needs to be thinned substantially or it lifelessly droops of its own weight. I have a lot of hair, even when it's short. Ugh.

Right now it's not long enough to pull back into a pony tail, but it's long enough to fall on my face and be annoying. I can make several small pony tails on my head, but it looks goofy, not that it matters since I'm always home.

Not having any artistic talent whatsoever, I can't imagine the hair tragedy that would occur if I tried to "improve" it myself. No, I'm smart enough to stay away from that.

I've been thinking about that head shaving thing. It's tempting. :-)

5 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
happyleg

My bro was A Barber and I'd learned some stuff from him he taught me well and I'm thankful

Kathy

Hair coloring does have carcinogens. I was allergic to it before I decided to go au natural. My hair is gray but I prefer to say silver and I am very happy with it. I wouldn’t think of coloring it if I could. I do think the style might have to be updated if one decides to go gray and has a lot to do with how it looks. It won’t add to ones age if the style is updated. Quite the contrary.

I found my first few silver hairs a few months ago and I loved it! I plan to rock silver hair!!

elvis

Did you notice that the silvers are coarser than the rest?

cattyles

I’ve been doing a “messy bun” since December. I’ve cut my own hair for years because I just wear it in long layers. I was really surprised by how long it’s gotten. I still cover my gray with plain old light brown.

Ann

Yes, the silvers are coarser, but my hair is thick and coarse anyway. But I have a friend with thin, fine hair and she simply loves the body her silver hairs give her.

1 Like Save    
socks(10a)

I’ve wanted to “go grey” for years. Finally I’ll be doing it. The haircut is a problem.

4 Likes Save    
Ann

I bet you'll love it, socks. I've never regretted it for a second!

1 Like Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

Did you notice that the silvers are coarser than the rest?

I have thick, wavy/curly hair, very dark brown and threaded through with silver. In my case, the silver strands are exactly the same, in terms of texture, as the dark ones. I think of them as natural highlights. :-)

3 Likes Save    
mariannese

I´m looking forward to seeing my husband's hair the way I want it, a bit long and curly at the back. He cuts it too often for my taste. I may go gray myself, if only I could trust it to become silvery and not streaked grayish-beige. I have several old packets of dyes and don't know how long I can keep from using them now that I can't have my hair professionally done.

Does a moustache mean you are gay?

ETA this is in response to a comment that is now gone.

Save    
shaxhome(Frog Rock, Australia 9b)

This is me last week. Might be time for a trim...

10 Likes Save     Thanked by tryingtounderstand
cattyles

Nah, you’re good.

shaxhome(Frog Rock, Australia 9b)

Good? Why didn't you tell me an hour ago?

elvis

Does a moustache mean you are gay?

That depends on your gender. Just kidding.

Tilly Teabag

More like your age. I’m a pluckin’

wildchild2x2

My hair is shoulder length so I guess it will just grow a little. No layers so a box of Clairol Root Touch Up takes care of the part and the temples until this insanity is over.

batyabeth

I never say I'm going grey. I say I'm turning silver. I call the two swathes of silver at my temples and all the way back my badger stripes. I'm almost 63 and have never dyed my hair once. Mostly for me it's the expense and the fuss and the forever searching to find that silver betrayal, and what for? Really? The ageism my sister quotes (I won't be considered for jobs if I have grey hair because it means I'm too old) may be real in her mind but I can't see going along with such foolishness, and the only way to eradicate such cultural stereotypes is to actively refuse to pander.

IMHO, and I'm know I'm a minority, each wrinkle is a lesson, and each silver hair an experience. I have earned both. See me, see my lessons and my experiences.

Ann

"IMHO, and I'm know I'm a minority, each wrinkle is a lesson, and each silver hair an experience. I have earned both. See me, see my lessons and my experiences."

I don't think you're a minority anymore. Maybe in my mom's generation, where nearly every woman dyed their hair, but there are lots of women with natural hair color now.

barncatz

At my last appointment in early March, we decided not to cut my hair at all so it would be a bit longer for the now postponed wedding/graduation party. Oops.

DH dug out the Oster shaver we used ages ago when DD was showing our mare, who is now a happy pasture ornament. He just ordered new blades for it to use on his hair. He used to trim our horse, so he's on his own. I'll hold the mirror, tho.

Toby

DH cut my hair a few weeks ago. He's never cut hair but I told him I wasn't going anywhere for several months so have at it. He cut it shorter than I was expecting but I love the new length.

I also don't dye my hair. I didn't know I had a little gray in the back.

Nice haircut! I have similar waves but silver gray except for right at the nap of my neck where the hair is deep black.

Bookwoman(7a PA)

Toby, that looks great. Your hair looks a lot like mine in terms of texture, but mine is cut shorter towards the front, in layers. My husband trimmed the back and I've sort of hacked away at the rest and so far it looks ok, but I'm sure my hairdresser will be appalled when she eventually sees it!

Toby

Curly hair is very forgiving so I knew it wouldn't be a disaster. He cut it a little shorter in the front even though I keep it all one length when it's a few inches longer. You know how those hairdressers are--never give you what you ask for. ;) He had to go back and clean up a few longer pieces the next day but it's really even. Good scissors are important too. Amazon has a lot of hair-cutting scissors to choose from.

I'm going to keep it like this and see what my regular hairdresser recommends for the front, though I like how he did the front too.

but I'm sure my hairdresser will be appalled when she eventually sees it!

Haha. It will probably be long again before she ever lays eyes on it.

Bookwoman(7a PA)

I will probably have hacked at...um, trimmed it...it a few times more by then!

Moxie(Z4 St. Paul, MN)

I have a very short pixie cut. Even though my hair grows fast and won't look spectacular, it will be a couple of months before it absolutely has to be cut. It if start driving me nuts, I'll just shave it all off. I still have the clippers I used to give my long-deceased, long-haired cat a summer do.

but I'm sure my hairdresser will be appalled when she eventually sees it!

Haha. It will probably be long again before she ever lays eyes on it.

———

They. Know.

They always know!

Husband gave my long hair a trim and almost a year later I went to get a short cut and the stylist said “have you been cutting your hair at home?” When I sheepishly affirmed she said “we can always tell...”

HOW???!?!!?!

lol

elvis

Holy smokes, Toby. Your hair is drop dead gorgeous.

queenmargo

Maybe if we keep complimenting Toby's hair, there will be some softening towards us? What do you say Toby? ;))))

I didn't want to be left out so I got DH to chop my hair. He literally did just that. You know how at the salon they cut every single little piece separately? Well he took chunks and chopped away. Did it in three cuts. I am lmao because who's going to see me anyway?

Toby

What do I say? Thank you?

Did he just do it this morning, jerzeegirl? You have to have him go back and cut the stragglers.

Yup, about two hours ago. Once my hair curls (or frizzes depending on humidity level) no one will notice the stragglers - they will blend right in. I figure no one is going to see me for a couple of months. I wish the person who cuts my hair would do what he did. I have ALWAYS hated getting my hair cut - I get extremely antsy in the chair.

cattyles

Toby, those are perfect, soft curls! You have a gorgeous curly bob. Is the front layered or about the same length as the back?

Toby

Thanks, catty. My hair is fine textured and most of the gray ones are too, like someone else mentioned, so that gives me soft curls. The front is supposed to be the same length but my hair is about jaw length around my face so I'm not sure. It's more wavy than curly around my face. I have a high side part.

Toby

We want to see, jerzeegirl!

nannygoat_gw

It is due to chemo and bone marrow transplant about 9 weeks ago, but I am doing well.

Before my husband's bone marrow transplant, his hair was a silver gray. It came back in a very dark steel gray, a much "younger looking" color and after more than 3 years it continues to stay dark.

Kathy

Nannygoat_gw he’s lucky. Mine came back 𝐒𝐢𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐫 after chemo. It was previously dark brown. Lol. It’s been silver ever since.

Ann

I've heard so many people say their hair came back differently after chemo - not just a little but a completely different color and curls or not (often opposite of what it is was previously). I would have never guessed that would or could happen but it sounds like it's the norm.

Tilly Teabag

A bone marrow transplant is a much bigger change than just the chemo before it.

Ann

Well, I took the lead of some others on this thread and asked my husband to trim my hair. I think he did a pretty reasonable job.

tryingtounderstand
1 Like Save    
Ann

Sheesh is right.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Northwest Gardening Great Design Plant: Lively Fountain Grass Thrives Just About Anywhere
Enjoy fountain grass for its exuberant form, long-lasting color and texture for borders and more
Full Story
Most Popular Guessing Game: What Might Our Living Rooms Say About Us?
Take a shot on your own or go straight to just-for-fun speculations about whose homes these could be
Full Story
Most Popular Why Google Just Paid $3.2 Billion for a Company That Makes Thermostats
Smart home technology just got a new champion — and everyone is speculating about the reasons
Full Story
Established in 2015 and located in Northern Virginia, Above Board Construction is founded by two friends who have... Read More