SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joey_r_

Quartz Counters Color Issue

Joey R.
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi! New here and would welcome any suggestions to help with this quartz counter dilemma that has been bothering me since they were installed last week.
I was basically railroaded by the general contractor into choosing counters sight unseen, except for photos, due to the current Corona issue. Initially I was given one option which was Giallo Ornamental which I really didn't like at all. I finally made the case that there should be more than one option and suspect the only reason there was one choice was due to whatever was available as remnants. Remnants would be fine with me if price reflected such since the counters only encompass 14 square feet anyway. I also frantically began searching for other options such as teak and stone shops that could work within the budget and provide a classic, timeless look.
Out of the blue I get a message saying that a white quartz is available, a photo is sent, and I'm told that the entire kitchen can be finished within one day. The photo sample appears white and neutral, plus I had seen what I thought was the same at the showroom of another vendor the previous day, I'm told it would be the same cost as the Giallo Ornamental--so I stupidly okay it. I'm also burnt out from renovations, the constant mess, doing dishes in the bathtub, so just want it all to be over at that point.
It is then installed and to my horror it is cream colored with yellow kind of peach undertones. I cringe when I see it as it looks dingy to me. The counter at the left side of the stove looks really yellow to me. It also looks horrible with the appliances which are cool toned stainless steel and especially the stark white subway tile I already had on hand, so I ordered more tile (again sight unseen) in hopes that it is warmer white. It shipped within two days and it is not as stark as the other tile, so bit the bullet and did the install myself.
I need help trying to bridge the two materials and harmonize the counters with the rest of the room.
Originally, the grout was to be a neutral dark grey "Natural Grey" by Custom Polyblends, but I'm doubting that and since I yet again cannot seem to get any sort of samples besides the color swatch on a tube of caulk to make a decision, I'm ambivalent of making any decisions at this point and have exhausted my budget as the counters were actually more expensive after receiving the final bill.
I have come up with maybe three ways, in order of extremity, to help combat this issue such as:

• Using cooler tone LED lighting (not the blue kind) I figure since the kitchen is north facing the cooler light in the daytime does neutralize it a bit.
  • Using a warmer grout tone.
  • Changing the cabinet color and trim to a taupe versus the current Brunswick Green which I really wanted to keep. The walls would also become more of a putty tone versus brilliant white. Tricking the eye into comparatively thinking it's white I guess.

Any other suggestions would be welcome!
Current Materials + Colors:

• Walls: Sherwin Williams, High Reflective White.
  • Ceiling: Blueish-grey mid-to dark tone that I had color-matched from a sample I created.
  • Trim + Cabinets + doors: a very dark greenish, blue black that I also created.
  • Floors: The original 146 year old wide plank raw Douglas Fir which have silvered slightly.
  • Faucet: Chrome which looks horrible and blue with the counters, but is pulled from the KitchenAid appliance handles.
  • Sink: stainless steel under-mount, chrome drain.
  • Back-splash: White subway tile; grout to be determined.
  • Appliances: Stainless Steel and chrome, besides the fridge and washer/dryer which is black stainless to blend into their respective built in units which is the dark Brunswick Green.
  • Hardware: Raw brass.
  • Other Materials: There are exposed copper pipes, plus I have a lot of copper pans which will be hung inside an alcove painted the Brunswick Green.
  • Island + Large Larder: Neutral, dark toned oak. Island will have lighter tone 11" thick butcher block top contingent on other materials.

I'll also post some photos in the comments section of other items that will be in the room to get a better idea of finishes.

Sink:

Sink View:

Right Side:

What I would have preferred:

Right of Stove:

Another Stone I would have preferred:

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert