Another Day, another commercial for hydroxychloroquine......

Sue 430

Apparently there was a big argument among the task force about the topic, yet the president did yet another rambling talk about how everyone should try it. I hope it helps, but can’t help but wonder why he’s pushing it so hard.

SaveComment141Like3
Comments (141)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I wonder who he knows who manufactures it?

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"An NIH spokeswoman said the agency was “not the source of the content” of the CDC-compiled document. The CDC said it presented the guidance to doctors at the request of a coronavirus task force, which urged prompt action."

Is that "coronavirus task force" what Kushner is running?

So, Kushner is developing the medical guidance that the CDC is presenting?

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

More:

"“Although optimal dosing and duration of hydroxychloroquine for treatment of COVID-19 are unknown,” the document says, “some U.S. clinicians have reported anecdotally” about different hydroxychloroquine doses."

Seriously - I hope someone is keeping track of all these Covid-19 patients getting this experimental cocktail.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I am guessing he's being sued by the woman whose husband died from taking this fishtank stuff and so he is doubling down to make taking the drug seem normal.

1 Like Save    
tryingtounderstand

I didn’t watch the speach, but here is an expert opinion from across the border.

Dr. Theresa Tam told reporters at a news conference Sunday that Canada is involved in current research looking at the safety and efficacy of hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus patients. The drug, which has some major potential side effects, particularly for the heart, has proven effective in treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and malaria.

“We do not have any specific treatments—none proven to work for COVID-19—but hydroxychloroquine is one that is being studied. In Canada we are part of those studies,” said Tam.

“It's definitely one on the list of treatments that we are looking at for COVID-19.”

Tam added that Health Canada and manufacturers of the drug, of which there are some in Canada, will work together to ensure the supply is sufficient for people who are taking it for other conditions. If the government needs to boost that supply, she said they have the capacity to do so.

“Making sure that we have enough for the patients that actually need it for other purposes … is our primary concern right now,” she added.

Tam acknowledged that there is a “great deal of interest globally” in the drug.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

the president did yet another rambling talk about how everyone should try it.

I missed the ramble, Sue. Did he really say "everyone should try it"?

Or did he say, in response to a question, that he would take Hydroxychloroquine, if needed. "I think people should if it were me, in fact, I might do it anyway. I may take it, Ok? I may take it. And, I’ll have to ask my doctors about that, but I may take it," he said

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other/coronavirus-outbreak-trump-requests-modi-to-release-hydroxychloroquine-ordered-by-us-to-treat-covid-19-patients/ar-BB12b2jm

Was is about any of this?

The Food and Drug Administration gave emergency use authorization to hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, according to the statement. The agency can authorize emergency use when there are no available alternatives and the “known and potential” benefits of the product outweigh the risks.

The West African countries of Nigeria and Burkina Faso will begin clinical trials of chloroquine for emergency treatment of the virus. A local drugmaker, May & Baker Plc, has been asked to produce a batch of chloroquine, and more may be manufactured if cases in the country spike, Nigerian drug regulators said Monday.

Burkina Faso has approved trials of both chloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin, which will start April 6 and take eight weeks. Provisional results will be released within two weeks, authorities said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-30/u-s-allows-emergency-use-of-drug-trump-backed-to-treat-virus

Or this?

A COVID-19 patient on Friday attributed her recovery to Hydroxychloroquine.

On day three of her hospitalisation at the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, Schwing Schwing was given Hydroxychloroquine.

She told the local ABC affiliate that the malaria drug worked.

"I don't know how much of my recovery was due to the cocktail and how much of it was due to the length of the time I was spending recovering, but something certainly shifted," Schwing said.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/looks-hydroxychloroquine-having-good-results-025300283.html

1 Like Save    
maddie260

In the press conferences (haha!), I wish reporters would ask: If the federal government didn’t see it coming, why does dt keep blaming the states for not seeing it coming? At every press conference, he blames the states for not ordering enough PPE, ventilators, etc, YET states ‘nobody saw this coming’. The federal government was/is a massive failure

As for telling people to taking a med? he should tell people to social distance, stay at home, wash hands, and wear masks. That’s the sum of his medical expertise.

7 Likes Save    
chipotle

So what was the reason for the press briefing today? There was nothing on his schedule for the day, then all of a sudden he announced a press briefing a couple hours before.

Save    
Sue 430

Elvis, no one is saying we shouldn’t find out if it works, the question is why he goes on tv every single day and suggests people ask their dr for it . Why just not let the drs do their jobs, whole tracking the results? We are treating some people with it here in different double blind studies. This is what needs to be done vs going on tv and telling everyone that it will cure them when we don’t know that.

8 Likes Save    
Nana H

I know his supporters won 't see it but Trump should talk policy, process and help for the States and leave the experts to talk about the medical and scientific aspects....but they won't see that.

12 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Really elvis? You don't see this remark as rambling???

"I think people should if it were me, in fact, I might do it anyway. I may take it, Ok? I may take it. And, I’ll have to ask my doctors about that, but I may take it," he said...

I sure do. I also read it as bs as no doctor is going to allow him to take an unproven drug for treatment to *prevent* a disease he apparently doesn't have. No doctor worth his salt anyway...though "dr feelgood" or "dr sign the letter in the limo" might.

11 Likes Save    
olliesmom

Sue, maybe he suggests it everyday, because people are making a big deal about him even mentioning it in the first place. It's on the media everyday. I just heard a Dr. on CNN say she wouldn't prescribe it, because the FDA didn't approve it for Covid-19. She left out a very important part, the FDA did approve it to prescribe for Covid-19 patients if Drs. want to prescribe it, even though it originally was not for Covid-19 virus. Glad she's not my Dr.! Feel sorry for her patients.

eta: Every time I listen to CNN, this is the kind of lies I hear. Back to Fox!

3 Likes Save    
Blanche Dubois

The Queen of England gave a wonderful speech today which included

"I want to reassure you that if we remain united and resolute, then we will overcome it. I hope in the years to come everyone will be able to take pride in how they responded to this challenge," she said.

"And those who come after us will say the Britons of this generation were as strong as any. That the attributes of self-discipline, of quiet good-humoured resolve and of fellow-feeling still characterise this country."

It's a terrible shame we don't have an adequate national leader now, of all times.

13 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

So patients are telling us about miracle cures, not medical doctors or researchers.

1 Like Save    
chipotle

My nephew, who has been a staunch Trump supporter since day one, is now highly pissed. For the first time he's beginning to recognize the lies. God only knows why it took him so long.

14 Likes Save    
palisades_

Tam acknowledged that there is a “great deal of interest globally” in the drug.

Surely. It’s a legend drug with well known side effects and plenty of clinical data to draw for peer reviews parallel with new indication trials. There is no shortage of the supply, and importantly, it remains very affordable for the poor in developing countries. The current recommended treatment duration is 14 days. A hosts of other anti-viral drugs are being looked at as well.

Save    
elvis

I wish reporters would ask: If the federal government didn’t see it coming, why does dt keep blaming the states for not seeing it coming?

Well, I wish reporters would ask: If the state governors didn’t see it coming, why do they keep blaming the POTUS for not seeing it coming?

1 Like Save    
Blanche Dubois

Why the Trump administration deserves the blame

Reason 1

The Trump administration decided to end a $200m early warning program designed to alert it to potential pandemics just three months before it is believed Covid-19 began infecting people in China.

The project, called Predict, had been run by the US Agency for International Development since 2009. It had identified more than 160 different coronaviruses that had the potential to develop into pandemics, including a virus that is considered the closest known relative to Covid-19

17 Likes Save    
Blanche Dubois

Reason 2

Trump was advised of the pandemic months before any of the governors

“If they had started in February building ventilators, getting ready for this pandemic, we would not have the problems we are having today and, frankly, very many fewer people would die,”

17 Likes Save    
Blanche Dubois

Reason 3

Only the President can order corporations to make the needed supplies.

12 Likes Save    
chipotle

Blanche, I'd never heard of Predict. In case anyone else is in the dark --

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-the-coronavirus-slipped-past-disease-detectives/

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

With all of the known side effects that hydroxychloroquine has if I was a doctor I would be hesitant to use it. One of the side effects that is watched for is fast or irregular heartbeats and symptoms of heart failure so it probably does affect the heart in enough patients that those two things are on the list of things to watch for. Having read that a couple of days ago and seeing several different articles of people dying with heart failure I have wondered if the patients had been treated with this "wonder drug". https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/health/inside-new-york-coronavirus-hospital/index.html

1 Like Save    
shead

Lots and lots of meds can cause fast or irregular heartbeat. Even some herbs or vitamins can. That doesn’t stop most people from taking (or at least trying) a med if their condition warrants it.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Blanche Dubois

Reason 1

The Trump administration decided to end a $200m early warning program designed to alert it to potential pandemics just three months before it is believed Covid-19 began infecting people in China.

Actually, $207 million over the 10 year (two 5-year funding cycles) life span of the program. Congress must not have funded PREDICT for another cycle, and USAID said it would spend $85 million over the next five years helping universities in Africa and Asia teach the “one-health” approach that Predict used. (“One health” describes the nexus between animal, human and environmental medicine)...

Even though USAID is “incredibly proud and happy over the work Predict has done,” the program is closing because it reached the end of a 10-year funding cycle, said Irene Koek, acting assistant administrator of the agency’s global health bureau.

“We typically do programs in five-year cycles, and it had two,” she said. Some similar research will be part of future budget requests, “but it’s still in the design-and-procurement cycle, so exactly what will continue is a bit of a black box.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/25/health/predict-usaid-viruses.html

Save    
elvis

Having read that a couple of days ago and seeing several different articles of people dying with heart failure I have wondered if the patients had been treated with this "wonder drug".

No doubt many who have tested positive for COVID-19 died from other causes, and they also had COVID-19

1 Like Save    

Well, I wish reporters would ask: If the state governors didn’t see it coming, why do they keep blaming the POTUS for not seeing it coming?

It's not the job of state governors to see it coming. This kind of monitoring is in the purview of the Federal Government monitors since it affects all states. We have the NIH and the CDC and departments that predict and monitor these kinds of viruses You can't expect the states to be monitoring hurricanes, right? That's what NOAA is for. When a state is 8 feet under water, they can't help themselves because they are 8 feet under water, so that's where FEMA comes in. This is why we pay Federal Income Tax.

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

Intelligence warned about this but it was ignored. Even Azar tried to get a trump to listen but he wouldn’t.

3 Likes Save    
petalique

A patient with lupus (an autoimmune disease, a serious one) said that he gets a lot of relief from taking hydroxychloroquine. But since it’s being so heavily touted by Chaos Donny, he (patient) cannot get any more from his pharmacy which is having great difficulty obtaining it. It DOES work for some of these very painful and complex autoimmune diseases.

If I were cynical and exasperated with trump and his blindly devoted fan followers, I might be tempted to suggest that all the followers take a double dose, just try it ”whaddaya got to lose.” with the Stay Home time, get in touch with some SLE (lupus) patients and see how they’d like paying more for or going without their hydroxychloroquine. Have them describe their pain and medical crises.

2 Likes Save    
gizmo

chipotle

So
what was the reason for the press briefing today? There was nothing on
his schedule for the day, then all of a sudden he announced a press
briefing a couple hours before.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was so pleased the 3 network-owned/operated stations here, NBC, ABC & CBS, didn't cover his propaganda presser today

4 Likes Save    
Kitchenwitch111

A lot of people are saying that Trump keeps pushing this because there is money in it for him somehow.

3 Likes Save    
heri_cles

Scoop:

Inside the epic White House fight over hydroxychloroquine

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-white-house-01306286-0bbc-4042-9bfe-890413c6220d.html

Peter Navarro just about losing it over hydrotrumpoquine.

Sigh....yet another Trump drone.

#worst president ever.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

I don't understand why Trump doesn't just leave this to the doctors treating the COVID patients. They know when to use it and when not to. They know the risks and are best prepared to observe and report the successes in order to try and figure our when and why it may be called for and when not,.

Trump needs to shut the hell up and leave medical advice to the doctors and scientists, however, his loyalists ,urged on by FOX, will continue to support his misplaced medical "advice".

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"I missed the ramble, Sue. Did he really say "everyone should try it"?"

Of course not. Everyone knows it must be prescribed by a doctor.

1 Like Save    
bfox254

It is really odd that he keeps pushing this drug. Apparently it's being studied and might prove to be effective in treating the virus. Does that mean that people should start taking it now? Of course not. Yet that's the message he sends. Why won't he just leave it to the medical professionals to figure out? It's dangerous and truly mind-boggling.

Save    
Nana H

It would not surprise me one little bit if he has somehow invested in the pharma company manufacturing this drug...it really wouldn't. I hope somebody or other is digging into this.

4 Likes Save    
bfox254

Everyone knows it must be prescribed by a doctor.

That's the problem. Everyone does not know this. In fact, there are too many fools out there who will blindly follow anything Trump says.

3 Likes Save    
mr1010

There's also a reason Trump's jr. buddy Fl. Gov. is pushing the drug also.

Is this the new Multi-Level Marketing Skam going around. DeSantis says a friend of "his" owns the drug company in Israel. More than meets the eye here.

Didn't Trump say Sunday the feds ordered 200 million doses of the drug?

Fl. Gov. says his people ordered 2,000 doses. Who's the owner of this company and what's the connection to Trump?

5 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

I guess chloroquine is all he’s got so he grasps that bit of hope. It’s irresponsible but typical.

It’s stressful being stuck at home, now on week #4. Listening to his rambling, inane monologues just makes the distress worse. If anything important is reported. I’ll hear it on the real news.

PS Did any journalist press his button so he had to call the question “nasty?” I’m beginning to think it’s a badge of honor among journalists, provoking him. His foolishness on display for the world.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"In fact, there are too many fools out there who will blindly follow anything Trump says."

How? It has to be prescribed by a doctor.

Save    
Nana H

So does oxycodone.

3 Likes Save    
Blanche Dubois

So we are not misled or misinformed-the Trump administration ended the Predict program. The money was there to run the program, but the Trump admin considered it a waste and ended it.

"The Trump administration decided to end a $200m early warning program designed to alert it to potential pandemics just three months before it is believed Covid-19 began infecting people in China.

The project, called Predict, had been run by the US Agency for International Development since 2009. It had identified more than 160 different coronaviruses that had the potential to develop into pandemics, including a virus that is considered the closest known relative to Covid-19.

A decision to wind down the program was made, however, in September, just three months before the first reports of people becoming infected with Covid-19 in Wuhan, China. The end of the program saw the departure of dozens of scientists and analysts working to identify potential pandemics in countries around the world, including China."

2 Likes Save    
Cindy Outter

There are so many drugs in the pipeline, why does he only promote hydroxychloroquine?

Below are a few links to those drugs, there are plenty more:

Coronavirus treatment: Vaccines/drugs in the pipeline for COVID-19

Treatments for COVID-19: Drugs being tested against the coronavirus

An updated guide to the coronavirus drugs and vaccines in development

Save    
queenmargo

It wouldn't matter what Trump would promote, it would be met with hair on fire for the left anyway.

2 Likes Save    
bfox254

He shouldn't be promoting any drugs or miracle cure. He can't even figure out how to get desperately needed supplies to the places that need them. Yet he feels compelled to offer his completely uneducated medical opinion to the entire country?

6 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Turn off CNN, that's the best I can tell you. According to them, Trump is sitting at his desk writing prescriptions. Many drs and hospitals are using this drug, what evidence they have so far is that it works. What Trump is prescribing is hope. If I'm dying from this horrible virus, give me anything in your arsenal.

1 Like Save    

Yup, better to die of a heart attack.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

". What Trump is prescribing is hope. If I'm dying from this horrible virus, give me anything in your arsenal."

Mrs, actually that's not true . Navarro was just on and he is saying that Trump wants EVERY patient who presents with COVID to be given the drug or the option for the drug. That's is irresponsible and dangerous given that most cases resolve themselves. The doctors are the ones who should decide when and if the drug is offered....not Trump and Peter Navarro.

5 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

If I'm dying from this horrible virus, give me anything in your arsenal.

I agree. Give us anything in your arsenal that works and won't kill us...like how about moving ventilators to where they're needed, like unleashing the federal stockpile of PPE so we can keep our nurses and doctors alive to treat us, like declaring a national shut down order so fewer people will acquire the disease, and so, so much more...instead of telling doctors how to treat their patients with unproven drugs with serious side effects.

3 Likes Save    

Doctors are discovering that sometimes COVID-19 does not attack the lungs but instead attacks the heart. Hydroxychloroquine might have killed this guy. Link

The 64-year-old patient arrived at a hospital in Brooklyn with symptoms looking like those seen in patients having a serious heart attack.

An electrocardiogram revealed an ominous heart rhythm. The patient had high blood levels of a protein called troponin, a sign of damaged heart muscle. Doctors rushed to open the patient’s blocked arteries — but found that no arteries were blocked.

The patient was not having a heart attack. The culprit was the coronavirus. The Brooklyn patient recovered after 12 days in the hospital and is now at home. But there have been reports of similar patients in the United States and abroad, and the cases have raised troubling questions for doctors.

What should doctors do these days when they see patients with apparent heart attacks? Should they first rule out coronavirus infection — or is that a waste of valuable time for the majority of patients who are actually having heart attacks?

Should every coronavirus patient be tested for high blood levels of troponin to see if the virus has attacked the heart?

“I don’t know what the right answer is,” said Dr. Nir Uriel, a cardiologist at Columbia University and Weill Cornell Medicine in New York.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

I missed the ramble, Sue. Did he really say "everyone should try it"?

I heard him yesterday and I never heard anything like that.

He was being repeatedly asked why he was bringing it up, as though he had no right to (like Chuck Schumer calling the White House telling the new COS what Trump should do to procure supplies and who he should appoint--guess the left wing media and the hateful democrats forgot WHO WAS ELECTED PRESIDENT) discuss the drug, and he said for a lot of people they didn't have anything to lose. right?

What people fail to understand is different people can have different reactions to drugs, or it may or may not be a drug that is making them better. There are other treatments that look promising too, but right now doctors have reported success with several drugs; I believe in right to try. So does President Trump. Another reason I voted for him and another reason he was elected.

There's enough speculating and misinformation out there we should not have to read or listen to outright lies about our president and lies about what he said.

Better things to do.

Let me put in in terms liberals can understand--hydrocholorquine is like an abortion--if you don't want it, don't take it, but don't infringe on someone else's right to do it.

1 Like Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Peter Navarro is an economic adviser. For what reason would Trump's economic adviser be promoting an unproven medical treatment? Hmmmm... whatever could it be?

6 Likes Save    

This is what Fauci said on Face the Nation:

“The data are really, just, at best, suggestive,” he said. “There have been cases that show there may be an effect and there are others to show there's no effect. So, I think in terms of science, I don't think we could definitively say it works.”

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

SO? President Trump never said it was a cure.

If this consternation and obsession over something President Trump never said but is accused of is a topic, this pandemic wasn't serious enough.

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

"If evidence convinces Trump to let the public know that hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin are efficacious in treating patients infected with coronavirus, then reporters will seek to persuade Americans that such off-label uses have no utility and are dangerous—even if they have to stoop to find some nut who drank fish-tank cleaner, clearly marked unfit for human consumption, to argue that a nonpotable chloroquine derivative cleaning agent provides proof of “Dr.” Trump’s deadly ignorance."

https://amgreatness.com/2020/04/05/corona-meltdowns/

1 Like Save    

That is really not true. It's up to the individual doctors to decide whether off label use is recommended. It might be inappropriate to give this drug to people who have certain conditions because it might kill them. Scientists like to be certain that a drug isn't going to kill someone before they prescribe it. They take an oath "first do no harm".

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Of course they do, and there are doctors willing to do it.

What do libs care? Trump Derangement Syndrome, destroying President Trump, seems more important than putting the needs of of their fellow citizens first and before compassion is what I see pretty much across the board, starting in Washington down to the little enclaves of smugness.

The decision should be between the patient and their doctor.

Or is that only applicable when KILLING life, not SAVING IT?

1 Like Save    
barncatz

The first New Jersey corona virus patient was given choloroquine and kaletra but started to improve after receiving "compassionate use" dose of remdesevir, a drug produced by Gilead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/05/magazine/first-coronavirus-patient-new-jersey.html

I just don't think the President should be involved in drug prescriptions, especially given the unknown nature of this new virus and the differing way it presents. Have you ever heard a president play doctor in this way? It's bizarre. There has to be money involved.

4 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

We mostly agree on this....it's not proven to help but might help in some circumstances, and it's worth a try when appropriate. Probably not for people with heart disease or others medical conditions. Same with other drugs which at this point are experimental, off-label uses.

What's wrong is trump promoting it. He's like a dog with a bone. His followers will see his words as the same as a written prescription.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

I don't see it that way at all.

"his words as the same as a written prescription?"

Laughable, that's ridiculous.

A doctor STILL has to prescribe and someone has to administer the drug.

President Trump has nothing to do with that.

He is allowed an opinion without running it by libs, you know--YOU LOST!

3 Likes Save    
maifleur03

When I linked to the article which has disappeared along with several other posts and threads that mentioned a doctor commenting about 4 people who had the virus dying of heart attacks at the same time knowing that it affected the heart I wondered if they had died of complications of the virus or the medication that they had recently received. The other major complication of this drug is blindness which few have mentioned.

Save    
Stan Areted

I read that not only the drug could cause eye problems, but the virus itself in some groups shows problems with vision.

So much information, so much unvetted, we don't know enough about the virus or the treatments, but I am glad scientists and leaders are trying.

1 Like Save    
Sue 430

Trump supporters stop putting words in peoples mouths, please: NO ONE is saying that it shouldn't be tried and we would all be ecstatic if it turns out to help, but that is a medical decision, and it is still unproven as a treatment. Therefore, it is fine for the president to mention that it seems promising, but to go on tv over and over and over suggesting that people demand it from their doctors even if they aren't sick is just irresponsible. Let the medical people do what they do best and leave it alone! He is creating a demand for something that we don't even know works. In our state, there were doctors prescribing it for all their friends and family who weren't even sick. Let it be tried, but let it be used appropriately.

10 Likes Save    
Nana H

Sue, wish I could double like your post. Bang on!

2 Likes Save    
olliesmom

Cindy Outter

There are so many drugs in the pipeline, why does he only promote hydroxychloroquine?

^^^^^

Are the drugs in the pipeline available right this moment?

2 Likes Save    
Cindy Outter

" Are the drugs in the pipeline available right this moment?"

I thought the links of these articles clearly address the development and test state of those drugs AGAINST Corona Virus, I believe you could understand those writings.

No drugs are available at this point to cure Corona Virus, including hydroxychloroquine, I thought enough publications, news, discussions have already proved this FACT - therefore it bears the question - why does he only promote hydroxychloroquine? Do you have answer to this question?

Has anyone found out when THE NOT MY PRESIDENT will take this drug as he announced? Someone in the White House should tell him that he would get highest rating if he does it on the TV.

3 Likes Save    
olliesmom

Cindy, people are dying RIGHT NOW! They don't have time to wait for those in the pipeline. It's their last chance. It may or may not work. It has shown in some to work.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

“The data are really, just, at best, suggestive,” he said. “There have been cases that show there may be an effect and there are others to show there's no effect. So, I think in terms of science, I don't think we could definitively say it works.”

Not in dispute. Science cannot possibly provide valid and reliable data regarding the use of anti-malarial drugs in the treatment of Covid19 without rigorous clinical testing. Such testing has barely begun.

Dr. Fauci deals in data.

Drs. on the front lines deal with patients.

They're both doing their jobs, as is President Trump, who has seen to it that approved anti-malarial drugs can be prescribed BY DOCTORS for the unapproved (off label) use of treating Covid19.

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

& people are dying with the help of hydroxychloroquine...

1 Like Save    
Vada(10)

Dr, Ding is a politician, no? I have read this:

"Dr. Eric Ding falls short in run for PA-10th Congressional Seat" (2018)

snip "The Democratic Party has four candidates for the spot to be the party’s candidate. Dr. Eric Ding placed third among those four candidates."

snip "When asked what inspired Ding to run for congress, he said that “there are so many things going wrong in our country today, but especially health care […] Health care is one of the number one issue on everyone’s mind.”

This area of American politics is where Ding feels he is better suited to represent Pennsylvanians. “There are many things that are going wrong, and I feel like I can lend a really strong voice in restoring science, fight Trump with facts, restore accountability and help solve the healthcare crisis.”

snip "If Ding were to win the election, he would like to dedicate his time to solving the gun show loophole. Ding expressed the need for a need to impose longer waiting times on buying a gun. Currently, at a gun show, there is no waiting time to purchase a firearm. Ding also feels that we need to restrict high velocity weapons due to, what he views, it not being necessary for hunting and self defense.

On social issues, Ding stated his pro-choice stance on abortion. Ding feels that abortion is often time the result of a “series of very unfortunate things that could have been prevented.”

https://hhsbroadcaster.com/8002/world/dr-eric-ding-falls-short-in-run-for-pa-10th-congressional-seat/

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

^^^^^ which is why you check out what he is sharing.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Therefore, it is fine for the president to mention that it seems promising, but to go on tv over and over and over suggesting that people demand it from their doctors even if they aren't sick is just irresponsible."

Speaking of putting words in people's mouths, where was it reported that President Trump ever went on TV and suggested that people demand it from their doctors, let alone demand it when they aren't sick?

3 Likes Save    
palisades_

More on the current effort to study the drug on healthcare workers who are on the frontline,

The University of Minnesota plans to test hydroxychloroquine to prevent COVID-19 infections in the nation’s frontline health-care workers

At least three clinical trials for hydroxychloroquine are trying to establish whether the decades-old malaria medication can prevent COVID-19 infections in frontline health-care workers as hospitals across the country scramble to secure enough gowns and masks for their employees.

This includes two clinical trials at the University of Minnesota testing hydroxychloroquine in health care workers reporting pre- and post-exposure to the novel coronavirus. A third trial, funded by a government agency, wants to know if the drug can prevent infections in 15,000 health care workers.

Another planned clinical trial at University Hospitals in Ohio will look at an investigational respiratory therapy developed by Arms Pharmaceutical LLC and whether it can prevent airborne transmission and reduce symptoms in those who test positive for COVID-19.....”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/with-gowns-and-masks-in-short-supply-researchers-test-drugs-to-prevent-covid-19-infections-in-health-care-workers-2020-04-03?mod=home-page

2 Likes Save    
shead

My friend has two children both born with a genetic condition that will degenerate their bodies to death by the time they are teenagers. The FDA just approved a clinical trial for a new treatment to hopefully reverse the effects of their condition. Both of her children have been approved for the trial.

According to the logic of some on here, my friend should just watch both her children waste away and die because the drugs in this clinical trial have not been proven to be effective yet and there may be some adverse side effects.

If anyone that if on here gets Covid (and I pray you don’t!) that objects to the usage of these drugs in principle rejects them in practice. That would be the only right thing to do.

5 Likes Save    
Sue 430

adoptedbyhounds, have you listened to his briefings? He has said many many times that people should try it, they should take it, they should talk to their doctors about it, that he has heard it does great things and what do they have to lose. He has talked about taking it to avoid getting covid and said multiple times that he is considering taking it himself. All I am saying, is that he should leave it at "we are trying this because we think it has promise and are glad it's an option for patients" Period. And he did not "let" doctors use it, they can do that on their own if they feel it's appropriate. Just asking for him not to go on tv acting like he's a drug sales rep. There are a lot of other possible drugs that might help, but somehow he has glommed on to this one and talks about it exclusively.

2 Likes Save    
Karen S. (7b, NYC)(NYC, zone 6)

Cuomo just finished his daily briefing & when questioned about it, reiterated that as to this drug, at this time, there just is not any data on this drug's use, it's too soon.

Also made plain 'NY Pause' as he called it will continue through April 29th at least, that is to say the shut down of NYS & its non-essential businesses.

1 Like Save    
palisades_

You could lose your life on unproven drugs, and in clinical trials that possibility can and will happen. So pray for those participants for the chance they take to save your lives despite the outcomes of the trials.

5 Likes Save    
elvis

Please print the "what have you got to lose" quote in full context, thanks.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Cuomo just finished his daily briefing & when questioned about it, reiterated that as to this drug, at this time, there just is not any data on this drug's use, it's too soon.

I heard the question in the briefing too, and Cuomo's answer.

Cuomo said that it's too soon for any clinical trials to be completed. He said, correctly, that those will take many more weeks or even months.

But he also said that the early anecdotal results were looking hopeful, although not conclusive. He repeated that a number of times; early indications are that the hydroxychloroquine drugs may be effective; "early anecdotal results are looking hopeful, but not conclusive."

He qualified it to make sure that people didn't think he was talking about scientific trial information being ready to be released, and of course he's correct about that.

He also said he's asking the federal government to ease a 14 day restriction on the drugs to allow greater access to them.

2 Likes Save    
Cindy Outter

"You could lose your life on unproven drugs, and in clinical trials that possibility can and will happen."

Of course, it is why the practice is called "clinical trails" and doctors or/and experts in the RD institute have to approve it. Patients have to sign the agreements.

This is a completely different scenario from Trump, who has no medical background and expertise, peddling unproven drag.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

No one is saying people shouldn't participate in clinical trials. No one is saying a patient and their doctor can't decide about off label use of a drug. Here are two people giving opinions about a drug. One is qualified to do so. Only one.

I thought this needed to be repeated because those touting Trump's words are not actually reading what is printed.

3 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"adoptedbyhounds, have you listened to his briefings?"

Hi Sue,

Yes I have. Nowhere did I hear him suggest "...that people demand it from their doctors even if they aren't sick..." You have provide no evidence he said any such thing.

Nor have you provided evidence he ever told anyone they "should" try it.

And he did not "let" doctors use it, they can do that on their own if they feel it's appropriate.

Here's a helpful link to the FDA letter of March 28, authorizing the requested Emergency Use of Chloroquine Phosphate or Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate Supplied From the Strategic National Stockpile for Treatment of 2019 Coronavirus Disease.

The eight page letter includes applicable conditions and rationale behind the Emergency Authorization. No indication anyone is "pushing" anyone to use the drugs.

The drug has been said to be in short supply, which would explain the need to access the Strategic National Stockpile. A prescription for an unavailable drug would be of no value to anyone.

https://www.fda.gov/media/136534/download

3 Likes Save    
palisades_

The drug has been said to be in short supply, which would explain the need to access the Strategic National Stockpile

Currently, pharmacies have plenty in stock for those patients who are already on it. There should be no panic on the supply of this drug. It’s still not indicated for many people with many underlying conditions and many drug companies have stepped up their productions.

2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Why keep repeating unproven drug? It's been around since the 50's. Every dr. knows it's side effects and contraindications. No dr is hearing the presidents press conferences and saying, well the president told us to use it so here we go! Many drs. are using it, but they aren't using it unwisely. The president has read the anecdotal and finds it impressive. So do I, and don't mind saying so. But neither he nor I are writing prescriptions. It seems that CNN has nothing better to do.

5 Likes Save    
chipotle

This is alarming.

Researchers Warn Possible Coronavirus Treatment Hydroxychloroquine May Be Toxic When Combined With Diabetes Drug

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/04/05/researchers-warn-that-covid-19-treatment-touted-by-trump-may-be-toxic-when-combined-with-diabetes-drug/#65c0e29a55f8

1 Like Save    
olliesmom

So alarming! If true, I would hope a doctor would know that, before prescribing it.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

I don't think that some people are understanding the argument.

Nobody has an issue with doctors using the drug on Covid patients when they think it appropriate based on the condition of the patient.

However, it has not been proven to be effective and without serious risks. Therefore wide spread use and claims of efficacy should not be touted by polititians and others with a vested interest. Unproven claims can cause hoarding, black markets, price gouging and inappropriate applications.

Just shut the hell up Trump and leave it to the medical and scientific community....not a difficult concept IF you really think about.

10 Likes Save    

Amen to that nana.

2 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

Currently, pharmacies have plenty in stock for those patients who are already on it.

Really?? Tell that to the Lupus patients who are being told that they can't have it.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woman-lupus-denied-medication-coronavirus-treatment-chloroquine-kaiser-permanente

3 Likes Save    
palisades_

Currently, pharmacies have plenty in stock for those patients who are already on it.

Really?? Tell that to the Lupus patients who are being told that they can't have it.

Yes! They have plenty in stock.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

Nor have you provided evidence he ever told anyone they "should" try it.

Here ya go, abh.

President Trump said on Saturday

“What do you have to lose? Take it,” the president said. “I really think they should take it. But it’s their choice. And it’s their doctor’s choice or the doctors in the hospital. But hydroxychloroquine. Try it, if you’d like.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/health/coronavirus-drug-trump-hydroxycholoroquine.html

6 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

Yes! They have plenty in stock.

Source please.

3 Likes Save    
palisades_

Source: call your local pharmacies.

ETA: heads up pharmacy staffs - it’s not that you don’t have enough to do already during this pandemic, now you’ll be bombarded with calls from the general public worrying about the drug shortage.

Save    
Stan Areted

One would think, justerrilynn. One would think.

The hatred and never ending agenda to attack our president over fabricated nothings knows absolutely NO BOUNDS.

2 Likes Save    
maddie260

I’d be ashamed if I had voted for dt.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

The president isn't the source for med doctors of this info.

Not quite sure what this means:

"Stupid.

If it might help would you be happy if the president kept it a secret? "

Save    
shead

@Cindy, if I get Covid-19, I WILL be taking it if my progression warrants it. So will the rest of my family except maybe my dad who is diabetic. All of this, of course, would be under a doctor’s supervision.

It’s funny that if you look at articles written about hydroxychloroquine and its effectiveness on a variety of conditions, the drug is described as safe in the majority of cases. Of course, there are some who have contraindications for it that their doctor has to take into consideration just like a doctor would for prescribing it for Covid-19. None of you would be screaming at a Lupus, RA or malaria patient that it’s too risky despite what their doctor says. Having Covid-19 doesn’t make taking the drug even more risky. Again, the DOCTORS need to assess the risk and Trump has repeatedly said that. No one would criticize him if he said that he’d heard it was a good drug for RA and to ask your doctor about it. Only in a global pandemic where it might help people lives that would otherwise be lost does he get criticized for mentioning a drug that looks hopeful and saying to discuss it with your doctor if you have Covid-19. It’s not an OTC that people can self-medicate on for Pete’s sake. A doctor must prescribe it and a pharmacist must dispense it. People are taking drugs with far more potential for side effects on a daily basis than these and no one is up in arms about it. Therefore, it only stands to reason that people are upset is because someone they don’t like said that it is looking “hopeful.” Who knew “hopeful” was such a dirty word :eye roll:

2 Likes Save    
barncatz

Strawman arguments.

Some of us are just a little curious why the President is not relying on his Task Force's medical advisers for his medical suggestions?

Are these non-medical advisors just the Mother Theresas of this pandemic? That would be nice.

Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, who just a few months ago was a focal point of the impeachment case against the president, told The Washington Post he’s advocated for the drug in one-on-one phone calls with Trump.

Two other Trump loyalists who lack medical expertise ― Fox News’ Sean Hannity and White House trade adviser Peter Navarro ― have also been touting hydroxychloroquine’s potential. And last month, ProPublica reported that Job Creators Network, a group founded by billionaire Republican donor Bernard Marcus, led a pressure campaign urging the White House to greenlight the drug’s use as a treatment for COVID-19.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-hydroxychloroquine-malaria-drug_n_5e8b1d9ec5b6cc1e4778cbd6

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I am more and more convinced he has money in the game. I hope some really good investigative reporters get on this. Lord know the Republicans won't provide any oversight.

2 Likes Save    
petalique

“... people are dying RIGHT NOW! They don't have time to wait for those in the pipeline. It's their last chance. It may or may not work. It has shown in some to work.”

Emotionality is not the same as reasoned, rational thinking (after reading and listening carefully).

Well, if people are too irrational, panicked, science averse, well, heck, if you’re too impulsive to follow the lying, inept, “leader” and want to just mindlessly grasp at anything, maybe a few of these options would help if you’re suffering from Covid-19:

– tap water

— oxygen, hyperbaric chamber

— paste shoe polish

— “chiropractic”

— broken glass

— voodoo

— horoscope or tarot card reading

— vitamin C, or any vitamins

— tincture of Rhus radicans

These have all “been shown to work” for something.

”Try it! What do you have too lose?” <—- quote from Pres. Bone Spurs Flunked Math

/sarc

2 Likes Save    
Karen S. (7b, NYC)(NYC, zone 6)

So, wanna bet that if we follow the money trail in approx 3 months time, it'll turn out that DJT &/ or his Family have investments in the makers of these drugs?

That would be the ONLY reason he'd have to push them, since he's shown repeatedly he doesn't give a damn whether folks actually get better or not.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

“What do you have to lose? Take it,” the president said. “I really think they should take it. But it’s their choice. And it’s their doctor’s choice or the doctors in the hospital. But hydroxychloroquine. Try it, if you’d like.”

So who is the president addressing?

1 Like Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Some of us are just a little curious why the President is not relying on his Task Force's medical advisers for his medical suggestions?

Easy, trump is the type of blowhard that just has to have the last word to toot his own horn, it doesn't matter to him if it's right or wrong, just so he makes an impression. He's gotta be Mr Big Shot, that's what matters to him the most.

1 Like Save    
Cindy Outter

shead,

"@Cindy, if I get Covid-19, I WILL be taking it if my progression warrants it. So will the rest of my family except maybe my dad who is diabetic. All of this, of course, would be under a doctor’s supervision."

Very nice, as there is a qualifier in your statement - "All of this, of course, would be under a doctor’s supervision."

You do understand, if this drug is not proven to cure Covid-19 for now, when you take it, you are going through clinical trail; even with a doctor's supervision, the outcome is unpredicted.

There are a long list of unproven drugs in the pipeline as listed in the links I posted earlier (they are only a portion of the drugs in the pipeline). Some drugs on the list are newly developed, yet others are proven for treating certain illness, but they are under testing to confirm their effectiveness treating Covid-19. They are in the same state as hydroxychloroquine that was proved to cure malaria, lupas and rheumatoid arthritis, BUT is not for Covid-19 at this point.

So my question to Trump supporters, you have many choices, why do you pick hydroxychloroquine? In my opinion, if you are in that situation, you should not use hydroxychloroquine, unless your doctor(s) think it is your only chance.

As to each individual, Trump has many choices to "suggest" to Americans, why does he only pick hydroxychloroquine, especially, he does not have any background in medical and Pharma R&D area.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

I just read this response to Trump on Trump's twitter feed today. Could the reason be money?

Nick Jack Pappas

@Pappiness

·6h

Trump continues to push hydroxychloroquine, an unproven drug.
A subtle reminder that Novartis, the maker of the drug, paid Michael Cohen $1.2 million for access to Trump.

3 Likes Save    
palisades_

It’s common sense for the patients who are currently on the drug to check with their pharmacies for availability instead of running to FDA website. Drug distribution centers continue to ship normal supply to pharmacies to ensure there is no disruption of patient treatments. I understand the shortage concern. In the wake of this pandemic, the FDA is prudent to issue the shortage status to ensure proper distribution, and to avoid improper hoarding. Most of dispensing for COVID-19 would be in hospitals and in clinical trials, so supply designated to community pharmacies wouldn’t be affected. Last time I checked (yesterday), my local pharmacies had them well stocked.

2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Well, our democratic governor at his press conference today, said the drug is being used in our hospitals with very good results. Jeez, do I believe a democrat or do I believe CNN?

2 Likes Save    
shead

Cindy, you just said what every one of us has been saying. We KNOW we’d be in a clinical trial. No one has ever said it would 100% cure it for everyone. None. Not even Trump. We know our outcomes would be uncertain but I’d rather take a chance with an uncertain outcome versus a certain death. That’s what clinical trials are! If other drugs were out that had a better track record of curing Covid-19 than this combo with fewer known potential side effects, yes, I’d absolutely seek those instead. Wouldn’t you? But I’m not seeing anything yet with as promising results as the hydroxycloroquine/z-pack combo have.

So why all the animosity for a drug combo with the potential to provide results for many people? Oh yes, Trump mentioned it.....

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Source, please (otherwise it's hear say)

"Drug distribution centers continue to ship normal supply to pharmacies to ensure there is no disruption of patient treatments. "

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Raise false hopes?

Kate

Save    
palisades_

So why all the animosity for a drug combo with the potential to provide results for many people? Oh yes, Trump mentioned it.....

Yes I think people need to get over the Trump hump to see it more objectively. It would be great if the drug will prove effective as prophylaxis for frontline workers. We will see.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

The original combo is dangerous for the heart so they are trying different combos that aren’t as dangerous for the heart.

Save    
heri_cles

what do you have to lose

=========

Josh Dawsey

@jdawsey1

·1h

FDA Commissioner Hahn was brought to Oval Friday afternoon to meet w/Laura Ingraham and two doctors close to her about hydroxychloroquine. On the drug Trump is banking will work, and the pressure on the FDA, w/

Save    
shead

Why are false hopes worse than no hope at all?

Comments like that remind me of when DH’s grandfather was in the hospital in his 90’s with dementia, TIA’s, etc. He was often confused. One day, DH went to visit and his granddad, who had been an avid fisherman his whole life, was sitting in bed and moving his hands like he was casting a line or baiting a hook. DH asked him if he’d caught any and he grinned and told him his catch for the day. A few minutes later, DH’s aunt showed up (a grumpy, contentious sort) and asked her dad what he was doing. When he said he was fishing, she replied, “Oh don’t be silly, no you’re NOT! You’re in a hospital!” The smile left his face and never returned. He died a few days later.

Those snarking about false hope, etc. in the face of someone dying and having no hope without the drugs sound just like DH’s aunt, who, btw, is now in her 90s and just as grumpy as ever complaining about how God has let her live too long and she just wants to die.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/06/jared-kushner-has-coordinated-distribution-of-medical-supplies-with-republican-donors-report_partner/

Kushner is coordinating medical supplier with Republican donors.

When you ask about the inner circle, it is clear to me," Costa told MSNBC's "Morning Joe," "based on my reporting, that Peter Navarro, more than anyone now, whether it's on urging the president to take a position that's different than Dr. [Anthony] Fauci, or when it comes to the Defense Production Act, nudging corporations, sometimes pushing corporations to do what the White House wants, that Navarro is at the center."

"Jared Kushner is there and he's really being a liaison to different donors, to different corporate allies of this administration, which has created confusion about the chain of command, about whether corporations should work through Jared, whether they should work through Vice President [Mike] Pence and the task force," he added.

1 Like Save    
Sue 430

Seriously, can anyone read? I and others have said over and over that there is no issue with people trying it if they are sick and their dr thinks it might help. We are hoping that it turns out to work well. ALL we are saying is that having the president go on national tv day after day and push this, urging people to take it and not talking about any other drugs or treatments is irresponsible. He is NOT supposed to be a drug sales person. Please stop accusing people of not wanting it to work or wanting to let people die. The point is not that people shouldn't be able to use it if it makes sense, the point is that it is not the presidents job to sell it! As I said before, he should just mention that it is being tried and he is hopeful about the results and then shut up and move on to another topic. If he wants to be a drug salesman, he can resign as president and do that.

7 Likes Save    
Nana H

"the point is that it is not the presidents job to sell it! As I said
before, he should just mention that it is being tried and he is hopeful
about the results and then shut up and move on to another topic. If he
wants to be a drug salesman, he can resign as president and do that."

Amen sister !

3 Likes Save    
elvis

ALL we are saying is that having the president go on national tv day after day and push this, urging people to take it and not talking about any other drugs or treatments is irresponsible. He is NOT supposed to be a drug sales person.

So you would like it better if POTUS talked about any other drugs or treatments, BUT he's not supposed to be a drug sales person. Based upon your post, it is fair to say that you sound conflicted about this.

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Why are false hopes worse than no hope?

I guess they aren’t, if you don’t mind being lied to.

1 Like Save    
shead

I guess they aren’t, if you don’t mind being lied to.

If I'm going to die without treatment, it's not a lie to be told there there is a treatment that might hold some potential based upon the experiences of other people. Isn't that what chemotherapy is for those with Stage 3-4 cancer? We all know people for whom it worked and we all know people for whom it didn't. Should we condemn all cancer patients to a certain death simply because some didn't respond well to the treatment?

And if I'm dead because the treatment didn't work or because it caused some adverse side effect, well, I'd have been dead anyway. Truth really isn't relevant in that situation. But again, these decisions are between the doctors and the patients about whether this off label usage is worth the risk. My body, my decision.

Save    
barncatz

I wonder who he knows who manufactures it?

All told, Novartis paid Trump more than a million dollars during the year-long agreement, paid out through Cohen's dubious company. Novartis is one of the primary manufacturers of hydroxychloroquine. Two-plus-two equals "what do you have to lose?"

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/07/dr-trumps-medicine-show-why-is-he-pushing-an-unproven-drug-follow-the-money/

The president himself, according to Peter Baker, Katie Rogers, David Enrich, and Maggie Haberman has a financial interest in Sanofi, the French pharmaceutical company that manufactures the drug under the brand Plaquenil.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-malaria-drug.html

3 Likes Save    

Knowing the actual prognosis for stage 4 cancer and choosing to proceed with treatment is not false hope. It is informed consent.

If your oncologist tells you that chemo is certainly going to cure your stage 4 cancer THAT is false hope.

5 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

shead:

"But again, these decisions are between the doctors and the patients about whether this off label usage is worth the risk. My body, my decision."

Absolutely!

Where have we heard that before?

Oh, when democrats want to KILL human life, not save it.

Well, at least they are consistent, they don't want you to have the opportunity to save yours, either.

Life isn't precious to everyone--difficult concept to grasp, isn't it?

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The way cancer drugs with unknown effectiveness are accessed is through "clinical trials".

Save    
terezosa / terriks

Just thought that this bears repeating

Seriously, can anyone read? I and others have said over and over that there is no issue with people trying it if they are sick and their dr thinks it might help. We are hoping that it turns out to work well. ALL we are saying is that having the president go on national tv day after day and push this, urging people to take it and not talking about any other drugs or treatments is irresponsible. He is NOT supposed to be a drug sales person. Please stop accusing people of not wanting it to work or wanting to let people die. The point is not that people shouldn't be able to use it if it makes sense, the point is that it is not the presidents job to sell it! As I said before, he should just mention that it is being tried and he is hopeful about the results and then shut up and move on to another topic. If he wants to be a drug salesman, he can resign as president and do that.

6 Likes Save    

Why are false hopes worse than no hope at all?

-They may cause people to act in a way that is not appropriate or responsible. In the case of COVID-19, believing there is a cure-all pill to pop that magically gets rid of symptoms might cause people to act carelessly wrt preventative measures or demand treatment that will do them more harm than good.

-False hopes might influence policy decisions by focusing on the subject of the false hopes to the exclusion of equally/more effective or safer alternatives.

-When false hopes inevitably fail to be realized, resentment and distrust result.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

^^^^ terezosa that needs to be in bold and all caps, reading comprehension is faulty.

2 Likes Save    
shead

Knowing the actual prognosis for stage 4 cancer and choosing to proceed with treatment is not false hope. It is informed consent.

Exactly! No one, I repeat, NO ONE has ever claimed that this drug cocktail is the end all be all of treatment or absolute cure for anyone/everyone. No me, not elvis, not any other poster, not Trump, no one. Na da. Have you all got cotton balls stuffed in your ears? Who the heck has suggested anything other than informed consent? No one! All this blabber about Trump stating that this drug combo looks hopeful based on anecdotal cases reported by physicians with boots on the ground is just spiteful. At least one Democratic representative from Michigan is thankful that Trump mentioned this development.

I'm out.

Save    

shead you are the one who asked what is wrong with false hope, why it’s worse than no hope.

I just answered your question.

Clearly you’d rather believe a comforting lie (FALSE hope) than the disturbing truth.

Trump has been touting this drug combo as a potential prophylactic for *everyone* and asking “what do you have to lose?”

I’m beginning to think he’s doing it just to spite people who criticize him; we know he takes a perverse pleasure in trying to irritate his detractors.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"I guess they aren’t, if you don’t mind being lied to."

What lie are people being told that gives them false hope?

1 Like Save    

“What lie are people being told that gives them false hope?”

-Trump will hire all the best people and let them do their jobs

-there will soon be zero cases

-this will be gone by April

-hydroxychloroquine holds “tremendous promise”

-lupus patients who take hydroxychloroquine are resistant to COVID-19

-etc

Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

By his own description Art of the Deal Trump says whatever he thinks will "make the sale". If nothing else the malaria drug is something he can attempt to provide reassurance with, to an American public that has already seen more than 10,000 die.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Trump said to take it. As the top man in the 'goberment - a direct statement like that carries a lot of weight for many.

Here's one quote:

"“I want them to try it,” Trump said. “And it may work, and it may not work. But if it doesn’t work, it’s nothing lost by doing it. Nothing.”"

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"“I want them to try it,” Trump said. “And it may work, and it may not work. But if it doesn’t work, it’s nothing lost by doing it. Nothing.”"

Yep. It's safe to assume presidents want patients to take their prescribed medicine as directed by their doctors.

Fits right in with the president wanting people to wash their hands, stay home and practice social distancing. We have no guarantees such measures will prevent the spread of Covid19 in every case. That doesn't stop us from going with that regimen, imperfect as it may be.

Save    

Here’s where the false claim and the false hope come in:

“... if it doesn’t work, it’s nothing lost by doing it. Nothing.””

Much might be lost if it is taken incorrectly or even if it is used correctly and has bad results, and there is nothing in this statement to limit who the “them” is who Trump wants to try it.

He wants everyone to try it. He said “I think they should.” Despite testing negative and having no symptoms he is going to ask his doctors about taking it as a prophylactic. There is nothing in that statement to suggest that patients should defer to their doctors. They are encouraged to approach their doctors with it and waste valuable medical resources on a wild goose chase.

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

miss lindsey, in the presser day before yesterday, Trump clearly stated that people need to go through their medical professionals, and he also mentioned the problems that the azithromyacin portion of the drug cocktail could cause for people with irregular heart rhythms. I have not heard him say that "everyone" should take it, and he clearly indicated in the Sunday presser that he was aware of contraindications for some.

Video here, around the 10:30 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=819&v=l8XYShezD0c&feature=emb_logo

I've seen videos of doctors being asked if they were taking it prophylactically, and they said yes. I have no way of knowing how widely that's being practiced by medical professionals, but I suspect it's wider than you might think.

I don't share your opinion that the drugs are a wild goose chase. Based on my own reading, if I got sick, I would definitely discuss it with my doctor. But nobody, including Trump, is saying you have to do the same.

2 Likes Save    
bfox254

It's simply odd that a president would go on national TV to praise and encourage off label use of a drug and then not let the medical professional on his task force discuss it. It makes more sense when we start to hear of the financial interest Trump and those around him have in the manufacturer. A little conflict of interest to put it mildly.

4 Likes Save    

I think he is hoping against hope for a "miracle cure" which he feels would help him in November. Most people would want a miracle cure to help other people; he wants the miracle cure because he sees it helping himself.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I think he's bringing it up because he wants to give people something positive, and I think it is positive, even if it's not a therapeutic that helps every single Covid19 patient.

Trump doing this is no more unusual than any of the other unusual, nontraditional ways that Trump talks or interacts. What have you seen, in the last three years, that mirrors the behavior of past presidents, when it comes to speaking style, choice of content, or tone? The shock would be if he suddenly started conducting his pressers in the manner that Obama did. Surely you know by now that Trump is going to be Trump.

People have different roles. Fauci's role is to be the medical professional, and hold the line when it comes to speaking accurately about clinical trials. Trump's role is to be the president, and to give people hope, and to give them positive things to think about, in a terrible time. Birx's role is to admonish people about not going to the store unless they absolutely have to. Trump's role is to remind people that he thinks they're doing a fabulous job, the best job anybody's ever seen, and that they're doing something the country has never had to do before.

It would be strange (well, upsetting, really) for Fauci to start saying the things that Trump does, and it would be equally strange for Trump to start talking the way that Fauci does. The same with Birx, or Pence, or the others. They each have their own individual roles in getting the country through this, and people need to stop pretending that their roles and messages should all be the same. That would be a lot less effective than what they're doing.

1 Like Save    
bfox254

Rationalize much? Trump mentioning the drug and saying it holds great promise in typical Trump speak is one thing. Saying he might try it and encouraging others to do so crosses the line. Why wouldn't he let the medical professionals speak to the drug and its potential promise? Of course Fauci wouldn't sound like Trump. That's why it would have caused a lot less controversy had he been able to speak about the drug and it's potential. He has credibility.

it was all so innocent, you think someone might have advised Trump to disclose the monetary conflict of interest. Instead, the press has to dig it up and of course, he will berate them for doing so in typical Trump fashion.

2 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

It's simply odd that a president would go on national TV to praise and encourage off label use of a drug and then not let the medical professional on his task force discuss it.

Exactly!

Save    
heri_cles

Trump will pay with his Presidency. That is the only silver lining.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Table Manners for Modern-Day Dining
Elbows and cell phones? Maybe. Forgetting to say 'thank you'? No way. Our mealtime etiquette guide takes the guesswork out of group dining
Full Story
Most Popular 7 Must-Dos on the Day You Show Your House
Don’t risk losing buyers because of little things you overlook. Check these off your list before you open the front door
Full Story
Housekeeping 10 Chores You Can Whip Through During Commercials
Use ad time for getting tasks done, and it’s like fast-forwarding your house into cleanliness
Full Story