SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nichole_donaldson

White Vinyl Windows with Brick

We recently bought this 1949 house and all of the windows need replacing. The interior and exterior are in bad shape, so we are doing full frame replacements. Due to the sheer amount of windows and other work we’re doing, the only real budget friendly option is a white vinyl exterior/interior.

I’m excited about this option on the inside - will be replacing all interior casing/trim to be white so that will work well. However, I’m still not sold on the white exterior.

The only positive is that over the next several years, we will need to replace the front door, siding on the dormers/rear, roof, gutters etc. The white exterior would afford us the most flexibility with colors here.

What do you think - will the white vinyl exterior be too harsh?

Comments (19)

• missenigma
    4 years ago

Did you check to see if Infinity by Marvin would fit your budget. They are fiberglass and not vinyl - a much better window but could be out of your budget.

https://www.infinitywindows.com/why-fiberglass

• lefty47
    4 years ago

HI -- Look to see if you have a window manufacturer in your area . That will save on shipping costs . Then you could maybe get a better look for the exterior , such as a black or wood look window . The white can be on the interior if you wish. I think if it was me , I would paint that brick . It is not a very attractive brick . If you painted the brick , then have the white windows , you could accent with a wood or black trim around those windows . Just shop around for the best option to fit your budget ....Good Luck

• Related Discussions

What white interior trim color for my white vinyl windows++

Q

Comments (4)
    Did you mean BM white dove?? I am not sure I know the color white down, but if it IS White Dove. I think the difference will be insignificant if you use it but will have a warmer look depending on the lighting. I have White dove everywhere and my kitchen cabinets, in fact, are a stark white. I would never try to match the white, IMO I would always go a bit creamier or softer. I tell people that white dove is like a white with the 'bite' taken out of it and does not look yellow to me at all, just soft. In my darkest rooms, however, it does look a little more to the putty gray side in certain lights, nonetheless, still a white.Good luck
    ...See More

Vinyl windows in brick

Q

Comments (2)
    +1 to the guy above me. No reason they should ever distort if you use a quality product and the install is proper.
    ...See More

Paint and window trim colors with white vinyl windows.

Q

Comments (5)
    Are you referring to trim around the windows? Do you still have original wide solid wood trim? Just match the white of the vinyl - if you can take a sash to the paint shop that will help them get you as close a match as possible. Whites are all maddeningly different - hard for us to recommend anything. Keeping trim same as window sash helps the new vinyl blend in and be less noticeable... Then get a slightly darker, richer white for the walls (if that's what you want)
    ...See More

We plan to replace white vinyl windows with black vinyl.

Q

Comments (1)
    Our neighbors have black outside and white inside and is a beautiful modern home…..although it’s probably wood not vinyl. We wanted that look too, I got a bit confused when ordering. I thought just the just the interior grills and sashes would be black and the casing would be white. ( they are wood as well)… not great for dogs nails!) Oops! The whole things were black. Could have been an awful mistake, but it looks good against our light walls. We did get vinyl in the bathrooms white on the interior and black exterior. It works well with our tile… got that right. Here’s a picture of the black windows from inside…it caused sleepless nights a first. I like it now, but we put in temporary blinds( that just stick in with command strips… because we needed privacy and found out that if we screwed holes in the windows, it voided our warranty!) I’ve seen it done in a lot of houses so I don’t think you will be unhappy with the results. I would recommend you look closely at samples of the vinyl windows very closely. I went to see them ( our builder had a sub he recommended). Look at the workmanship closely. The samples I saw were a bit disappointing… there was sloppy silicone caulk and gaps where there shouldn’t have been…we ended up using jeld wen windows instead. Pretty expensive though. Good luck.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

yes, white is too harsh. at the very least do a cream or even the bronze. In fact, I'd pick bronze over the black since it works w/the color of your brick. The white is a for sure NO. (unless you plan on painting the brick. and even then, the black or the bronze looks better w/white brick)

bronze:

what looks better?

And in the long run, it's worth the extra money to get what looks best. the windows will be there for a long time. choose wisely

is the door metal? You could always spray that a diff color if you want. the black is nice.

once everything gets updated and painted (the trim) it will look a lot better. Just stay away from bright white anything

when it comes time, redo the roof in charcoal color

• houssaon
    4 years ago

From what I've heard on shows like Restore, vinyl windows are not strong and therefore use a wider frame and reduce the window opening. See if you can get a better option. I agree that white would not look good. You are going to be living with these windows for a long time, maybe if you don't have the budget to replace all you can do some and leave others for a later time.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I would go with a fiberglass frame or metal IMO white is too harsh I love this color combo but probably wood windows .I also love black windows with brick.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 years ago

What about the interiors is in bad shape that is necessitating a full tear out? Casing?

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    4 years ago

Great advice above from a design perspective, the bronze would look very nice. White isn't terrible, but the darker colors are richer to be sure....

Terrible, uniformed commentary on vinyl windows though. Regardless of color its a very valid choice as long as you select a quality product. Most often it outperforms fiberglass and aluminum in every objective metric including structural performance.

• missenigma
    4 years ago

As a chemical engineer I started my career developing vinyl formulations for the construction and building industry so . . .

"Terrible, uniformed commentary on vinyl windows though."

is not uninformed at all. We can agree to disagree.

"Most often it outperforms fiberglass and aluminum in every objective metric."

And what are these objective metrics?

• PRO
    4 years ago

Cool fact about your experience missenigma, but I’d suggest that it has zero correlation to the statements that you made about window products.

What objective metrics? All of them. Thermal and structural. U value and the other various independently tested and certified thermal ratings, along with DP, air and water infiltration, and other independently tested and certified structural ratings.

When a product is not very good, it’s marketing will focus on arbitrary and largely irrelevant information such as the tensile strength of a solid lineal of base material (ie: your recommended product). Luckily however, fully assembled products are tested and certified for performance, and in that area, even middling vinyl windows outperform most of the Fiberglass options commonly installed in the US. Savvy consumers and professionals recommend products largely based on the actual , tested, objective performance of the finished product.

• missenigma
    4 years ago

As I said, we can agree to disagree.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I don’t mean to be argumentative missenigma, but I dont agree. Facts and data really are not a matter of opinion. If you choose to believe otherwise and/or offer advice that contradicts that, I suppose that is your choice. We can agree on that aspect.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I would argue that the Marvin Infinity does outperform vinyl equivalents in the category of "Unintended Self Venting"

• missenigma
    4 years ago

@Windows on Washington Ltd

So what brand of fiberglass window do you recommend? Based on the information you provide on your website, clearly you're a strong proponent of fiberglass. Here's what your website states:

"Fiberglass Replacement Windows

Fiberglass windows have a wide-range of benefits that make them a sound window replacement choice. They are low maintenance and can be structurally superior to metal or vinyl materials.Perhaps the most important feature of fiberglass windows is that they offer an increase in thermal performance (which lowers your energy bills), offer better overall strength and durability and excellent flexibility in design. Fiberglass windows also come in a variety colors that will not scratch, chip or fade."

• missenigma
    4 years ago

@Home Sealed Exteriors

So here's a fact, a visit to your website clearly shows you're a fan of fiberglass windows. In fact on it you refer to is as an "esteemed window material."

So is it safe to conclude that your gripe is with Marvin's Infinity brand? If that's the case, that what's you should have said.

You could have offered the OP some useful information stating something like fiberglass is a terrific choice, but there are superior brands to Marvin offerings such as X, Y and Z.

Here's what your website has to say about fiberglass windows:

Benefits of Fiberglass Windows Throughout New Berlin, WI

If you’re considering installing fiberglass windows, there are a lot of benefits to think about. Here are some of the major ones:

Fiberglass Windows Are Stylish

Consider the ideal aesthetic qualities you want from your new windows. You undoubtedly picture a smooth, clean frame free of chipping paint. Maybe you want timeless interior trim and exterior sashes to add to the beauty of your home, both inside and out. You might desire traditional grille patterns on the glass, or maybe you prefer to keep the window free of anything that clutters up the view.

No matter your design preferences, fiberglass windows can meet your needs. They are highly customizable, making them suitable for both traditional and modern homes. Expect your home’s curb appeal and interior elegance to increase when you install fiberglass replacement windows.

Fiberglass Windows Are Energy Efficient

With the brutal winters here in Wisconsin, you need windows you can count on to help lower your heating costs. Fiberglass is particularly popular in northern climates because it’s among the most efficient window materials available, especially when paired with advanced glass technology such as double- or triple-glazing and gas infill.

When your windows are better at keeping heat and cold out, your home stays more comfortable in every season, all while reducing the strain on your furnace and air conditioner. In fact, the decrease in utility bills helps your investment pay for itself over time.

Fiberglass Windows Are Durable

The beauty and energy efficiency of this window material doesn’t just last for a few years—thanks to the incredible strength and durability of fiberglass, you can expect your windows to last for decades! The material is resistant to erosion, won’t fade or crack in the sun, and doesn’t warp when exposed to moisture. It’s also less affected by expansion and contraction to help maintain a weather-tight seal in all weather conditions.

Best of all, you enjoy all of these durable features with virtually no maintenance. Simply wipe down the fiberglass frame and clean the glass as needed. No repainting or refinishing is ever required.

Fiberglass Windows Are Eco-Friendly

You help the environment when you install energy-efficient windows, but fiberglass is eco-friendly in other ways as well. The production process requires few raw materials and generates relatively minimal pollution. Then, because fiberglass windows last so long, replacements occur infrequently. When the day arrives to replace them, fiberglass windows are fully recyclable. These qualities make fiberglass one of the most efficient window materials available.

Contact Our Window and Door Company for Fiberglass Window Installation in Milwaukee

These are just a handful of benefits that fiberglass windows can offer homeowners in the New Berlin area. We would love to tell you more and demonstrate the true capabilities of this esteemed window material. Whether you’re a homeowner, architect, or designer, let us recommend the very best replacement windows available today. We’ll then complete a professional installation that adds to the beauty, sophistication, and energy efficiency of your Wisconsin home.

• PRO
    4 years ago

@missenigma

Good to see that the website is getting read. I agree with everything that you copied and pasted. Its almost like I wrote it...go figure.

On the fiberglass category, the Marvin Modern line is quite nice and we have previously used the InLine product in some selected builds as well. The Infinity series is a pretty window, but lacks some performance as compared to some of its marketplace competitors. We have installed this product previously as well.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Well said by Windows on Washington, I agree. I don’t dislike fiberglass windows, and we actually sell and install some of the Marvin variety. Moreover, there are some fiberglass windows (particularly from Canada) that do offer excellent performance across the board where Marvin struggles.

You see missenigma, that can coexist with also liking vinyl windows, and even wood or metal windows. Each material has its place, you don’t have to baselessly trash one (as you did) in order to support another. For my customers that value energy efficiency, performance, maximum air-tightness, warranty, and value, a quality vinyl window is what I’d recommend in most cases. For those that want the richness of a wood interior and the aesthetic that only it can provide, the Marvin lines including the wood/ultrex model fit that bill nicely. There‘s simply a trade-off in performance despite what typical Marvin salesmen would like you to believe. I wouldn’t buy a sports car because I want to tow a trailer, and in a similar way, I wouldn’t buy an Infinity window if air leakage(resistance to it) is at the top of my list. In fact, we have removed new Infinity windows (installed by others) due to excessive air leakage. They were quite happy with the high performance vinyl windows that we replaced them with. I’d liken the Infinity to a British sports cars, like an MG or a Triumph. Cool, nice looking, some may even say sexy. Just not practical for the masses, certainly with some functional issues. Generally reserved for guys that wear fingerless leather gloves and wax their mustaches.

I also take issue with their marketing claims about strength etc, as I provided facts to refute above... But none of that means that it’s a BAD window. There are in fact instances where it fits the needs and wants of a homeowner better than any others, those instances just happen to be a small fraction in comparison to when a vinyl window checks more boxes. Market share based on material supports this, although in my opinion many of the Infinity windows sold are to homeowners such as yourself that are misled by that marketing propaganda, but I digress.

Hopefully that answers your questions. In summary, each material has pros and cons, as well as products that range from great to poor. My contention to start, which I still maintain, and which nothing that you stated via your opinion or via pasted information from my website proves otherwise, is that vinyl windows are a very compelling option for homeowners, and also that in many cases they offer superior performance in every measureable area to a fiberglass window such as the Infinity.

@Nichole Donaldson, that window should serve you well. In my experience it is good quality. It does raise an eyebrow with some pros as its Silver label (as opposed to Gold label) certified, meaning that those structural ratings (such as air leakage) are not independently certified like other top performers (think Softlite Elements, Okna 1000, 800), Sunrise Restorations, etc). Most would place it in the second tier in the event that you were comparing against those others, but it is still a good window and better imo than the vast majority of choices out there.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

The Richlin 900 is a pretty nice product IMO.

• PRO
    CarolMartin
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I also have a brick house and I want to replace the windows. So your comments are very helpful, thank you. Well, windows are an important part of the interior, which has a great influence on the appearance of the house. If you look at the pictures from the comments above, you will see that even the color of the window can change the exterior of your house. Also, the windows must be of high quality to last a long time and protect the house from adverse weather conditions. That is why we have found Eco Choice replacement windows Toronto company that provides quality services. This is a recommendation from our friends, and we trust their choice. I hope that soon our house will look amazing with new windows. And I can show you a picture.