SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pazit4

How would you design pantry task lighting with industrial shelf design

Arlene Thompson
4 years ago

We have completely gutted and are remodeling our 6 ½ ft x 13 ft working pantry in our Arts and Crafts home (built in 2010). The ceiling is 9 ft tall and the pantry, which is off the kitchen, has one entry with a pocket door (see photo below) and the floors are oak. I am seeking task lighting ideas and advice.

In addition to storage of food and kitchen equipment/supplies, the u-shaped pantry (short sides; long run will be the full 13 ft) will be used as a beverage prep area (coffee, juicing/Vitamix station), caring for houseplants, food dehydration, and preparing herb extracts and tinctures. The pantry will have an undermount sink, microwave, and refrigerator (no stove, no dishwasher) plus certain appliances.

We will be having three sets of upper shelves using two plumbing pipes per set and 1 ½" thick wood shelves (see two Houzz photos below - each of these kitchens uses one set; notice the first photo uses two pipes and the second one uses three; we are using two, like the first photo). We will have a combination of base cabinets and open base cabinet shelves (i.e., no doors, think bookcases).

We don't have any electrical constraints. We do have a ceiling fixture box that I'd possibly like to do small industrial style ceiling fan (say, 30" blades) without a light fixture in it (a strong personal preference - no light fixture on the fan). I've seen others use can lights in the ceiling, but can lights are not task lights, and I need task lighting for the above activities during the evenings. One option may be "pin lights" in the ceiling (not sure I am using the right wording) that are halogen bulbs mounted in small cans in the ceiling and are designed to provide focused, targeted light (rather than generalized room lighting). I have them in my office now and they work well. But maybe there are better options? I have heard that LED tape lighting is becoming quite popular and could perhaps be applied under the lowest shelves, but they do get quite hot. We are planning a light fixture over the sink so task lighting over the sink will not be an issue.

The vertical pipes already create strong vertical lines in the room so I want to keep the lighting design simple.

We really appreciate your help. Thanks much!

Havelock Project · More Info

Blue Lake Update · More Info

Comments (2)