SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_cano

Window Seat Advice Needed!

Barbara C
4 years ago

Question: Is 11 feet too long for a window seat?

We are finishing the room over the garage in new construction. We will be bringing the furniture from our existing house when we move (bar height table to be built), and it is positioned appropriately as I envision it in the new house, as shown in the picture below, although any advice here is also most welcome. The sofa will face the only tv in the house, not shown in picture. I would like a window seat in the dormer at the bottom of the picture (pretty view of marsh) but it will be 11 ft long. I thought of breaking it up by splitting it in two with a flat wooden section in the middle, but this would interfere with an afternoon nap, if one was so inclined. Instead, I’d likely leave a large tray in the middle for books, coffee, recharging electronics, etc., thinking this might break it up visually. I’d really appreciate any advice!

Comments (19)

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

Your window seat is going to need to be a lot deeper than you show if your plan is that it can be used for naps. You'll want it at least as need as your sofas for people to be comfortable. That combined with the 11' foot length seems like a lot of window seat.

I was planning to put a window seat in our new construction home, but once I did the math on how deep it would need to be and the cost of building it and having a custom cushion made, I realized it made more sense to put a freestanding chaise in that spot. I has the same effect with lower cost and more flexibility. You could put a great chaise/bench there with a little occasional table.

Barbara C thanked Kristin S
  • Architectrunnerguy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I think I'd go with an 18" wide or so bookcase type unit on each side maybe lining it up so the edge is even with the edge of the window (don't know if your drawing is to scale). That would leave about 8' for the seat.

I built one myself with a similar set-up with a drawer/shelving unti on each side. Made the thing with kitchen cabinets that would normally go above a refrigerator (it was in the breakfast area of the kitchen so it related to the cabinets well).

Here's the sequence:

Existing:

Built up a 4" tall toe kick (with the HVAC vents cut in):

Placed the 12" tall cabinets on this:

End cabinet and wood trim on the back:

Glued down the top:

Finished seat (Mrs. ARG made the cushion and the pillows):

Here's a better view of the end units:

You can get the desired width by holding out the cabinets a bit as shown in the third photo. I had them out maybe 6-8" with the back of the seat supported by a 2x4 ledger on the wall. Your'e going to need about 30" minimum for decent naps. Mine is about 18" deep.

So who says an architect doesn't like to get his hands dirty!!!

And good luck with your project! Everyone loves this seat.

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kristin S,

Thank you for your response. The drawing shows an 18” deep window seat, but I measured our window seat here and it is 21“ deep- I should have made it this depth in the drawing, maybe even 24”. I’d have the contractor build the seat (originally I wanted my husband to make it but he wants it done when we move in) but I would make the cushions, so it wouldn't be terribly expensive. But probably more than a chaise lounge!

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Architechrunnerguy,

Thank you for your detailed description! I would love to do what you suggested, but there are three windows in the dormer so there isn’t space. It might not be clear from my drawing, which is actually to scale as I traced the blueprint, but with these windows there is only about 16-18” (scaled drawing, not at the house) of space from the edge of each window to the wall. After the 3 1/2“ trim is installed, and a little wall space is left, that leaves about a foot of space to work with. Not enough room to build anything of significance.

I love what you did in your home! It looks great and it appears that you have an awesome view!!

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

I just did my bonus room with dormers. I have 2; they are each only 40”. I did the window seats for looks and storage. I knew nobody would sit there except cats - too uncomfortable for more than a few minutes. The drawer cabinets are 21” deep and 18” high.

I’d do your window seat, only if it had drawers for storage (blankets, games, extra linens, toys), at least 24” deep. I wouldn’t expect it to be comfy enough for naps.

What’s the window situation- how high off floor?

Barbara C thanked emilyam819
  • Barbara C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Emilyam819,

Your window seat is adorable!

We were thinking of hinged tops for storage, similar to a blanket chest. We have doors in the window seat in this house and my husband doesn’t like them. In regard to the tops being comfortable enough for naps, I’ve heard remarks to that effect before and I don’t understand it. We have a ski condo in Vermont and whenever we are there during daylight hours, someone is always in the window seat. It’s incredibly comfortable, with southern exposure, so it is just delightful; reading, naps, whatever. We rent the condo and guests have also commented on how nice it Is. Not even a good view as it overlooks the parking lot. Just a little cold when the sun goes down...

Im not sure how high the windows are. It’s hard to tell from the plan. Higher than the windows in this house. Here, we designed the seat so that a four inch cushion would just tuck under the window sill. Looks perfect and holds the cushion in.

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

Thanks. I do find the drawers so convenient. I don’t sew, and you have more experience with window seats, so I say go for it. Measure your vacation home seat if possible, and get your window dimensions.

Make sure you design around the required outlets; I had forgotten to do that (kids/work meant I didn’t pay as much attention to project as usual), but luckily there was just enough room for my electrician dad to get them in the right spots.

Another thing I overlooked was the code from window to floor on the second story - it’s something like a window can’t be less than 24” off the floor to prevent someone from falling out. My windows are much higher off the floor than that, but they just made it measuring from the seat top to glass. I almost died when inspector whipped out his tape to measure that distance. I just made it - pure luck. Otherwise, I would have had to argue that gray area in the code :) So just make sure your architect/ builder knows about your window seat plans and how they’ll affect the window design.

Good luck!

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Emily,

I think drawers are a great idea, just not sure my husband will go for it. Thanks for your advice- I already took the outlets into account- the one in the middle will be just under the window (that’s why I know the windows are higher than at this house- we wouldn’t have enough room to do that here.). I asked for the two on the side walls to be far enough out to accommodate the depth of the seat. As for the height, do you mean that the distance from the top of the seat to the window has to be at least 24”? That definitely would be a deal breaker here. Or just at least 24” from the floor?

• sprink1es
    4 years ago

Purely subjective - if this were mine, I'd do shelves cabinets flanking a ~8-9' cushioned seat. Think of how you will realistically use this - if you want to lay down on it, you'll need to build it shorter with a much thicker pad. The window seats I have are 18" tall floor to cabinet top, then a 3" pad (21" overall). While mine are great for a temporary seat, there's no good backrest and they're too firm to really lay down on.

These are great for short-term seating (game table, etc) or throwing a pillow against the end for a reading nook. Not so much for watching a movie on. Could line the back/windows with pillows, but it still makes for kind of an awkward long-term seat

I have seen these built into a trundle-type bed too where they pull/fold out

Barbara C thanked sprink1es
  • Architectrunnerguy
    4 years ago

After the 3 1/2“ trim is installed, and a little wall space is left, that leaves about a foot of space to work with. Not enough room to build anything of significance.

A foot will work fine. Design Interior South's photos ^^^^^ are exactly what I was thinking of.

Barbara C thanked Architectrunnerguy
  • nhb22
    4 years ago

My shelves are just shy of 10" deep. Plenty of room!

Barbara C thanked nhb22
  • Barbara C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! It seems that everyone but I thought of that solution. i mentioned it to my contractor, now we just need to work out the details...

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

A twin mattress is 39” wide. A comfortable chair seat is 18-21” deep. A comfortable sofa for napping is 24“-30” deep. You don’t have enough depth for anything comfortable. It will be for looks only. Stick with prefab bookcases that you build in with some molding.

Barbara C thanked live_wire_oak
  • Barbara C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m confused by your comment; the space is four feet deep, although I don’t intend to use the entire depth. I was thinking of 24”.

• barncatz
    4 years ago

We take naps on our window seat all the time and the cushions are 20" deep. We never fall off although it can get crowded with a mini-doxie wedged in next to the window side.

It gets used several times a week at least. In the winter, the fire is wonderful to fall asleep in front of and in the summer, we take naps with the breeze blowing in. We put a light on one end, bookshelves on the other, and we also use it in the evenings to read or surf.

The seat has a removeable top and our christmas lights and bulbs live under there.

Barbara C thanked barncatz
  • Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

I think 11' sounds awesome, and if you have the depth, I'd use it and go up to 30".

Barbara C thanked Kirsten E.
  • Barbara C
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Barncatz, that looks like a very cozy spot!

• barncatz
    4 years ago

I was puzzling over the satellite dishes after I posted the photo, like, where did those come from, lol?

I realized that from the seat, the window trim and wall blocks them, which you wouldn't think and you're not looking straight out the windows, as in the photo. I did look down once, one winter day, and watched a cougar slip into our woods.

Anyway, thanks and good luck with yours.

Barbara C thanked barncatz