SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_988458157

Importing plants from Korea with a PPQ 587 QUESTIONS

Elena
4 years ago

Hi all,

I recently started my plant growing hobby and went through the process of obtaining a PPQ 587 to import Korean plants (succulents) to the US. After receiving my permit I quickly came to the realization that the rules surrounding importation of foreign plants to the US, particularly the shipping and inspection requirements, are quite intimidating. That said, I would like to hear some experiences/advice and ask some questions regarding the importing process, namely:

A) My permit conditions specify that "Shipments must be imported and presented for inspection at the USDA Plant Inspection Station (PIS) upon entry. The PIS must be specified on the permit as a designated port for importation. In the event of an emergency, if a shipment arrives at a port without a PIS, subsequent movement to a PIS, or any transfer and/or transloading must be approved by USDA and the CBP-AS. Any shipment imported through passenger baggage must be surrendered to CBP-AS for movement to a PIS. All movement costs that are incurred will be paid by the importer." My question is, is it absolutely mandatory that I send all imported packages to a PIS - provided that my plants are NOT CITES regulated/restricted or listed in the Plants for Planting Manual? Would it be possible to have the packages directly shipped to my home address instead?

B) Another listed condition is: "Promptly upon arrival of any imported regulated article, the importer shall notify the Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) Programs of the arrival by such means as a manifest, Customs entry document, commercial invoice, waybill, a broker's document, or a notice form provided for that purpose (PPQ form 368) which is available on the aphis.usda.gov website under Forms." My question: is it mandatory to notify the PPQ of the arrival of my package? If yes, what is the best way to do this? Can PPQ form 368 be completed and submitted online?

Also, there is constant mention of how I, as a permittee, "need to instruct the supplier to label each container with the genus and species name of plants within" or how, "a shipment with more than one plant species be kept in separate packaging (i.e. box, bag, crate, rack, etc.) and not be co-mingled" or that "each package [should be] sequentially [numbered] (i.e. 1-1000) with the corresponding number listed on the packing list to facilitate the identification of a package in a shipment for sampling...[and] each package should also be labeled with supplier or farm information corresponding with shipment documents." I feel that some of these "instructions" might be applied in some form or another by most suppliers, but should I still email the latter and let them know that these are some steps they need to take before shipping my package(s)? Some of the sellers I have been in contact with speak/write English on a basic level and I'm not sure if they would even understand the instructions I send them.

Finally, is there anything I need to be wary of that I have not already mentioned?

As an FYI, I reside in NYC and my closest PIS is in Queens, Jamaica.

Disclaimer: I apologize in advance if some of my questions are ill phrased or if the answers are common sense. As mentioned, I have literally no prior experience importing, which is why I can't help but feel overwhelmed by a lot of the rules and conditions provided by my permit. Thanks in advance for all help offered. Looking forward to any responses and experiences. Hopefully with your insight, I can learn as much as possible about the process.

Comments (19)