SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vrieck

What is the most cost effective way to update this kitchen?

vrieck
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello Houzzers!

This pandemic has thrown a wrench in my house renovation plans, and now I am needing to figure out how to take an approach that is more affordable than my original vision. Generally, I would describe my style as modern-minimalist-boho, but the house we have just purchased is not that at all. Initially, I had these big plans to change the feel of the house by taking out soffits, changing lighting, replacing the floors, implementing new paint, etc. Now, I'm realizing I need to work with "who" the house already is, or, "dance with the one who brung me"--as the saying goes.

Anyway, here's what I hate about the kitchen:

-The cabinet over the OTR microwave is not in line with the other cabinets.

-The color of the cabinets.

-The floors (We are removing the laminate tomorrow to take a look at the 16x16 beige tiles underneath to see if they are in good enough shape to work with.) Will post a picture as soon as we assess.

-The feeling of heaviness the upper cabinets give to the room. (Initially I wanted to just remove them totally, but I have been told that if I am going to do that I would need to remove the soffits to create the look I want, and I think that will have a snowball effect in terms of cost that I do not want to initiate.

-That island. (But I am not sure I can remove it. It will depend on the flooring situation. If the tile underneath the laminate is in good shape, but it doesn't extend underneath the island, I will need to leave the island because I don't have any replacement tiles.

-The bulkiness of that refrigerator and the fact that it has a dent. (I can put a magnet over the dent--lol.) Maybe someday I can replace the refrigerator with a smaller one.) It's only my husband and I that are involved, so we don't need a huge appliance.

Some ideas I have had:

-Remove the cabinets above the OTR microwave and make a shelf that lines up with the rest of the cabinets. (I show what I mean by this with a picture I added in the comments.)

-Take down the OTR microwave and cabinet above it and replace with regular sized cabinets, which I think might fit, but I have not confirmed this. (See the picture of I have posted about the cabinet I think I can cannibalize.) EDIT: Someone has told me this is unwise for ventilation purposes, so will probably abandon the aforementioned idea.

-Replace the OTR microwave and cabinet above with an OTR hood, but I fear that will look funny because the rest of the cabinets don't go up to the ceiling and the hood will have too??

-Paint walls.

-Paint the cabinetry, but not sure what color yet. Since we are keeping the countertops and the backsplash, the color needs to go with the off-white, ivory counters/backsplash--not sure what would be best. I wonder if I may have to go bold--like with a blueish hue of some sort.

-I wonder if taking the molding off the top of the cabinets would help make things feel a bit more modern.

-I will be removing the wine cooler and non-functioning ice maker.

-I have considered raising the cabinets and adding a shelf underneath, but the ceilings are too high for this move to be reasonable I think.

Would be thankful for any tips you have!

This picture shows what the tile underneath should look like:

Comments (57)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

You can lower the MW cabinet if your replace your OTR microwave with a new low profile version

Not sure that your kitchen needs updating. But your style of decorating is a bit 'fussy' with lots of little accessories that make the whole place appear cluttered. Sorry......but that's my perception of the spaces.

What makes a space interesting is texture and contrasts. Instead of a kitchen table that matches your cabinets, you might have considered pieces that complemented your valance fabric like the chairs and table below.

When I first moved into my home and funds were tight, I purchased the table and chairs at a warehouse sale and then painted the white chairs green to spark things up.

Here is your kitchen with a few minor changes. I think the maroon wall paint you selected doesn't really match the color in your valance. A dark coral appears to be a closer match, at least from my computer. I replaced your too small light fixture that blends into the background, with a fixture that casts good light and makes a better statement.

Kitchens are never a location to place family pictures, so I changed out your wall decor to framed botanicals that pick up the green of your valance and offer a contrast with the dark frames.

Don't start blowing up your kitchen with a demo if the place can be fixed with a few minor changes otherwise you will be back here looking for solutions to those misguided actions. Baby steps, Baby steps.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

Thank you, Zalco. I'm in the Houzz heresy group of moving in, if OP hasn't already, setting up their furnishings, then painting the walls in a warm white that harmonizes with oak cabinets and leave it at that for now. She wisely says the same thing at the end of her first paragraph--deal with the house that "is.". For whatever, reason she bought this house, not one that had her favored style and. In this case, attempting so many smaller fixes may remuddle the space, which will then need more fixing when the big renovation happens.

What can be done very affordably, is subtracting valences, dining set/tablecloth, stuff on cabinets, fake plants, chair rail all over especially--good pandemic project--and bringing in the OPs furnishings, art work, rugs, which reflect her tastes and style. Live with the current "givens." (I personally would change the dining pendant to something that works with OP's dining set which I assume is in her personal style.)

• Related Discussions

best way to market honey? cost effective?

Q

Comments (4)
    Was just wondering what you've been doing with all that honey for the past four years? Obviously if you could sell retail you'd see the highest profit margin. Another possibility would be to offer it to specialty stores and niche markets if you have the bottling capabilities. You can have labels made for each customer so they could offer it as their own "brand" Anytime You can be the one who is adding the value to the product, your profit margin will go up. As far as bulk selling,do a little research, join an association or state organization. The 2 buyers listed in ABJ are Leighton's Honey in Florida (863) 422-1773 and Pure Sweet Honey Farm (608)845-9601. There were 9 ads in American Bee Journal in the upcoming July issue advertising bulk honey for sale. There was also a number if you want to take out an ad. It's 888-922-1293. Hope this might be of some help to you
    ...See More

More cost effective way to run grow lights

Q

Comments (6)
    Am in the amrket for grow lights in southern Ontario, can someone that knows about these, please point me in the right direction as to what to get, where from and any other info needed to get me going? Canadian tire, wal-mart or HD? I am after a setup like this: http://www.flippygirl.com/growlights.html
    ...See More

Most effective way to use castings in a SFG

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi Lisa, I actually did a bit of research myself for both of your questions and found that a lot of people put 2 TBLS. of castings in a new planting hole and that coffee grounds and organic compost, including dried leaves, are good for blueberries. So in addition to buying a bag of worm castings since I won't have enough as soon as I'll need it, I also made a garbage can composter for things I don't put in my worm bin, based on these plans found at CompostJunkie.com. Instead of aluminum pipes, I used PVC and it works great so far and will produce useable compost quickly. Mine isn't wrapped in anything and I didn't use the bolts after all because the holes I made in the top and bottom for the PVC pipes are a very snug fit and help keep the lid on and to roll the bin (extending about 5" above the lid)--I didn't have enough scraps to fill it immediately and didn't want to have to take the bolts off every time I add to the bin. :) And I set it up on blocks with a cut gallon jug fitted snuggly under it to catch the leachate. So if you have a drill and way to cut the pipe and threaded rod as needed, you should be able to do that easily as well. I do a lot of container gardening too and was considering SWCs, but thanks to the responses here, I think I'll pass on that option; especially since I recently installed an irrigation system which will help an awful lot when it comes to watering. So as always, thank you all for sharing your experience and great ideas! BB in FL
    ...See More

What is the most durable, cost effective flooring for a rental?

Q

Comments (9)
    I am going through the same thing with our rental right now. I wanted LVT for the kitchen area but I keep reading mixed reviews and a lot of mixed information. I think we decided we are going to lay ceramic tile down in the kitchen and use cheap carpet and pad in the rest of the areas. Lowes is running a special right now free deluxe installation on ANY carpet and pad purchase. You don't see that very often. And we will go with a speckled carpet that doesn't show dirt and stains easily.
    ...See More
  • vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner Thank you for this idea. I did not realize that low profile microwaves even existed. I am googling now.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

housegal200I think painting the walls in a. warm white sounds lovely. And, although I would be ok with the honey oak look and I do agree that white would harmonize with them much better than the current color, the orangey color really gets to my husband. His pet peeve is the cabinet color and mine is the uneven line of the cabinet above the microwave.

And your advice to not attempt to many smaller fixes that remuddle the space is well taken. It has become clear to me that every change has an implication--sometimes one that you don't expect, so it is good to not be willy-nilly about it.

The furnishings are all gone now and the valences and the chair rail will come down. I do love the idea of buying a really beautiful dining pendant!

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

I’m assuming these aren‘t your furnishings. But once you start changing the kitchen I think it’ll start a domino effect in your house. A new backsplash would make a big difference. New lighting. New hardware.

I like the modernizing effect of incorporating black with oak. If it goes with your overall vision of the house...

Or go all black

Beverly’s low profile microwave is genius, but seems like a lot of money for not much impact.

does any of this appeal to you? It might be a good starting point.

COVID19 isn’t forever...you could just wait until things settle down and do what you really want to do.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Liking all the windows and natural light.

You have a very pleasant looking space and your cabinets look really good as is. Different wall paint color and different lighting, especially in the kitchen area, might make some difference in their current color hue so you might try that before considering painting or replacing perfectly good wood cabinets. Do paint the walls something with NO pink or orange hue -- that could help some with the visual hue of the cabinets.

Dollar Tree (and other stores) have large magnetic clips that will enable you to hang a notepad for shopping list or a calendar over your dent.

Would NOT move the bar cabinet to put it over the range. Consider removing only the cabinet over the microwave that you don't like, carefully remove the top from it off the rest of the cabinet and add then reuse the top as shelf hung to keep that top level with the tops of the other cabinets. (Leave the space over microwave beneath the new top shelf blank until you can do more later, if needed.) Do save the cabinet since (you might be able to cut the cabinet height down to the size you want and have new doors professionally made and reuse it above the microwave later. If not, with a plywood top, it could be used elsewhere (laundry/garage/potting shed). Keep the current molding as is ... put that idea, along with painting the cabinets, on hold for much later down the list

You can probably use the wiring from the recessed light over the peninsula to hang different lighting and significantly change the look of the space in a way that removes the large curb without having to remove "all or nothing" with regard to the curb.

Consider removing most of that one curb over the peninsula but leave the part of that curb that is against the wall and is in line with the curb over the adjacent overhead cabinet . The reface the cut end of the curb to match the rest of the curb over the overhead cabinets. I suspect that if you do those things, you will mind the curb over the overhead cabinets a lot less -- that part of the curb against the wall doesn't look bad at all ... it's the curb over the island that is a bit "overbearing".

With two painted boards, you could add a very shallow open shelf beneath your overhead cabinets for S&P, sugar bowl, napkin holder, etc.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner, Thank you so much for all the examples! To clarify, everything in those pictures was from the prior owner. I agree it is entirely too fussy for me! All furnishings are gone now. Window treatments will be changed. Colors will be changed as well.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

The low profile micro idea is a good one. Conversely, you could also replace the crown molding on the cabinets next to the micro cabinet to make the crown wider and line up with the top of the micro cabinet. So, visually, the tops will be aligned.

If you can spend more $, I'd also have the cabinets painted and add new hardware. Will give it an instant face lift.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Katie B.You assume correct. Those are not our furnishings. See, I was thinking I needed to keep the backsplash because of cost, but you do raise a good point. I think it could have a huge impact if I changed it out. New lighting and new hardware I think are definitely doable. I have proposed using black during prior renovations and my husband vetoes it every time. Womp womp. :) I love that picture you posted with the subway tile up to the ceiling and the pretty chandelier.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

You could do something like that where the coffee bar is (remove the cabinets and add open shelves, have subway up to the bottom of the shelves and the same subway for the rest of the kitchen).

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

This is a good solution for your staggered cab. A carpenter could repurpose what you have to do this.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@suezbell

The windows and natural light are my favorite thing about the house--along with the view out the back.

Re: Different wall paint color and different lighting, especially in the kitchen area, might make some difference in their current color hue so you might try that before considering painting or replacing perfectly good wood cabinets.

This is a good idea. Maybe if we didn't have clashing colors, the hubs wouldn't be so offended by the color of the cabinets. We could get the walls painted first and look into the lighting situation and see what effect that has before moving to do the cabinet painting.

Re: Do paint the walls something with NO pink or orange hue -- that could help some with the visual hue of the cabinets.

Agreed!

Re: Dollar Tree (and other stores) have large magnetic clips that will enable you to hang a notepad for shopping list or a calendar over your dent.

Ha. Good idea!

Re: Would NOT move the bar cabinet to put it over the range.

Someone has talked me out of that. Don't worry.

Re: Consider removing only the cabinet over the microwave that you don't like, carefully remove the top from it off the rest of the cabinet and add then reuse the top as shelf hung to keep that top level with the tops of the other cabinets. (Leave the space over microwave beneath the new top shelf blank until you can do more later, if needed.) Do save the cabinet since (you might be able to cut the cabinet height down to the size you want and have new doors professionally made and reuse it above the microwave later. If not, with a plywood top, it could be used elsewhere (laundry/garage/potting shed). Keep the current molding as is ... put that idea, along with painting the cabinets, on hold for much later down the list

Thank you for these very detailed suggestions! I wasn't sure how to actually make them happen.

Re: You can probably use the wiring from the recessed light over the peninsula to hang different lighting and significantly change the look of the space in a way that removes the large curb without having to remove "all or nothing" with regard to the curb.

Consider removing most of that one curb over the peninsula but leave the part of that curb that is against the wall and is in line with the curb over the adjacent overhead cabinet . The reface the cut end of the curb to match the rest of the curb over the overhead cabinets. I suspect that if you do those things, you will mind the curb over the overhead cabinets a lot less -- that part of the curb against the wall doesn't look bad at all ... it's the curb over the island that is a bit "overbearing".

I'm a bit challenged when it comes to visualizing a description like this, but I am intrigued. I am going to keep this idea simmering.

Re: With two painted boards, you could add a very shallow open shelf beneath your overhead cabinets for S&P, sugar bowl, napkin holder, etc.

What a practical idea! :)

Thanks again!

• amuzyczka
    4 years ago

I think if you could sell that fridge on craig's list or something and put a counter depth refrigerator in it's place your kitchen would look way better....

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sabrina Alfin Interiors

I had not realized I could replace the molding to create one line. Going to research that! And, I do think painting the cabinets and replacing hardware is in the budget, so that is totally an option. Thank you.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Sorry......good luck. Take what you can from my comments.

vrieck thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Katie B.

Re: You could do something like that where the coffee bar is (remove the cabinets and add open shelves, have subway up to the bottom of the shelves and the same subway for the rest of the kitchen).

I really like the idea of potentially incorporating some shelving instead of cabinetry where the coffee bar/wine area is currently. I think I could have some fun with that area.

Question about the subway tile idea. If I want to keep my countertops, which are ivory/cream colored, I don't think a white subway tile would go well with that, would it?

Thank you for the picture of the shelf above the microwave. That is essentially what I am envisioning.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Do an off-white subway.

vrieck thanked Katie B.
  • vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

amuzyczka

I had been thinking that too!

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Greige or blue?

• misecretary
    4 years ago

The bathroom tiles look familiar. Perhaps run down to Lowes/Home Depot and see if they have some. Then you could easily remove the cabinet in the middle of the room.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Katie B. Those are fun. I know you were actually talking about the tile, but I had actually been considering painting the cabinets some type of blue.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@misecretary I might as well, but those tiles are from 2003, so I am a little concerned about matching. I suppose I could put a rug down. I've been seeing some cool pictures of rugs in kitchens although I don't think they are super practical.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

That works too- are you going to paint the cabs yourself?

you could just do the island like that one photo? hundreds of ways to do it on a tight budget

Little touches make a big impact if planned well

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Katie B. We were going to hire someone to paint. I'm afraid I would ruin them. :S

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Katie B. I had thought about a blue like the one shown in this picture, but with those beige floors--see bathroom pic--(assuming they are usable when we pull up the laminate tomorrow) iit almost seems like white would be the best?? Initially I thought maybe it was a bad idea to do white cabinets with an ivory countertop, but now I'm thinking the combo might work if I had the beige floors. Perhaps the countertops would look like they were meant to continue the beige theme? I'll post a pic tomorrow if the floors are in good enough shape to use.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

what are your counters? Corian?

They look to be in good condition in the photos.

if you go white, I’d just make sure you don’t go stark white. I think counters might Look dingy if the cabinets are too white.

I really like beige cabinets too, especially with brass or gold.

This one shows the color combo (obviously nothing like your kitchen).

This bottom one would look great with modern brass pulls

You can always paint some wood pieces and put them up against what’s there to see how different colors work together.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@richfield95

Coming back to the ventilation point...Just curious: How is putting a regular sized cabinet above the oven different than putting a microwave in terms of ventilation (if they come down to the same point)? Aren't both just objects blocking proper air flow?

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Katie B.

Ha. I wish either of those top two photos were my kitchen. Beautiful. I like both of those color options! The counters are corian and are in good condition. I hadn't thought of painting some wood and putting it up beside the floor and the counters to test. Seems obvious now that you say it, but it wasn't to me initially! Thank you.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Above range Microwaves have a built-in ventilation system...they replace a vent hood.

Do you have ducting in the cabinet above your micro?

if not, you probably have a recirculating model.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Ok I read through your post again. One thing I missed...having a hood higher than the Oven looks fine

I’m not a pro, but I have owned a few homes, nice ones, but none of which I feel entirely reflected my style. I’m a pro at that apparently. I’m in a creative vortex about it in my head 24/7. I’ve posted ideas here before and I always come to a similar conclusion from the advice given- make what you have look better...don’t try to change something good into something totally different. Unless you truly hate something, then change it. We see Pinterest, images here and on google, magazines, etc. and think that’s what we need. We don’t. An improvement to what you have will probably make you happy, at least for awhile. If you must paint, take the opportunity to do something creative, like paint the cabinets bright green maybe (kidding), especially if you’ll be tearing it out in 5-10 years.

You can achieve something similar to those photos, especially the colors. They both have Corian counters actually. Paint your cabinets, modern hardware and you’re there. Do something fun for the coffee bar area. I’d personally change the backsplash. Can you remove the riser or is it a solid piece with your counter? If it can’t be removed, wait to do a backsplash for when you do new counters. I don’t think I’d start removing trim and molding quite yet.

It’s a great house- have fun!

• housegal200
    4 years ago

If you do warm white walls for now, the cabinets may look different and acceptable enough that you could tolerate them until you do a large renovation. Also consider painting the base of the mini-island (if not removing) and peninsula base same as walls. A beautiful round table in that window alcove would look amazing if you have one or plan to get one. Many expandable ones around, too.

Manhattan 5th Avenue Apartment · More Info

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Katie B.

I do not have ducting and I have read that the recirculating models aren't really that helpful at all (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4050506/), so I was kind of wondering how much ventilation they truly offer. Beyond ventilation concerns, I think I favor the option of adding a shelf over the OTR microwave, so figuring this out may not be necessary, but the topic intrigues me for sure.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

you don't have ducting? then where is the grease and gunk from cooking going with that micro?

You need to get a duct if you're going to have any type of fan over the stove.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@housegal200 When you say paint the "peninsula base same as walls," do you just mean the area where the stools go? (See pic.)

Also, I didn't know they made expandable round tables. That's so cool!

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth H. : I will verify tomorrow that I do not have ducting, but I am pretty sure I don't because that wall backs up to a bedroom. My understanding is that it just pulls up the gunk and puts it through a filter before recirculating in the room, which apparently isn't that helpful at all.

We have a window, so I was considering setting up some sort of window unit that I could put on the exhaust setting as LifeHacker suggests (https://lifehacker.com/use-a-window-fan-when-your-kitchen-doesn-t-have-a-range-1685716558).

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @Katie B.! You have been amazing!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

check and see if you can go up into the roof, and then outside. (not just into the attic space!)

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Maybe you could use Briwax to minimize that yellow tint your husband hates

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inbetweenchaos.com/2017/10/01/refreshing-worn-wood-with-briwax/amp/

I haven’t done this personally, so I don’t know if it leaves a waxy film that would collect dust/grime? But thought I’d share

• kathleen MK
    4 years ago

I get your dislike of the OTR microwave. But where would you put it? It will take some Kilz to repaint a warm white over that burgundy but it will be worth it. you have beautiful natural light so a light black accents against the oak would look good.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Does this kitchen appeal to you?

kind of modern boho

https://casawatkinsliving.com/modern-white-bohemian-kitchen-reveal/

Or this one?

Keep some wood and paint some- will keep cost down.

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

Put a large rug under the table and chairs, and change the direction of the table to allow a wider passage.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Katie B.I saw that same article! Seems like it could be a good option. I think I really do like the idea of doing a color though.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@kathleen MK Originally, I had just planned to get a counter microwave and put it over where the wine bar formerly was. Now though, I think I am over that idea. I just want to remove the cabinets above the OTR micro and create a shelf.

Yes, whatever it takes, that burgundy has to go! :)

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Katie B. Both are lovely. These pictures help me see see how mixing up the colors could help reduce some heaviness with the uppers.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@jbtanyderi I will definitely keep this in mind when I select and place my table. Thank you! (The furnishings shown in the pic are the former owners'.)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

you could remove the doors off your little island and see if you can get a micro to fit in there (you'll have to go with a counter microwave that is also built-in capable. check the rough in dimensions needed) I had to go through this w/mine. I have an OTR one and ended up putting it in below my oven.

I had my cabs painted so they were able to modify this cabinet for me by removing two of the drawers and making a large opening for the built-in.

here's the before. I ended up going w/the 1.5 cu GE built-in with a trim kit, under my oven.

so much nicer to have my vent hood over the stove top now. (I tried to get it for my island shelf, but it wouldn't fit according to specs) you have to have space around the sides and back

Or, you could just do a counter model and put it on top of that white cabinet thing you have, or even in the cabinet above it. you could remove the doors and some of the shelving. just depends what works easier for you.

for over your stove top, I'd go with a regular range hood vent, providing you can vent up and out somewhere. Those recirculating micros are absolute garbage, even worse for venting than the regular OTR microwaves. I had ours up above that for 15 years (And i have an actual ducted vent!) and you should have seen all of the grease and gunk that got trapped in that thing. it was gross.)

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I just read through your entire thread. There's a chance that the electrical box for the microwave is in the cabinet above. The micro is also probably attached to the cabinet. I know mine was installed that way. If that's the case, a shelf won't work. The best option is to replace the whole thing with a new hood vent, if it's possible to vent to outside. Otherwise, move the cabinet down and replace with either a low profile microwave as Beverly suggested or a regular stainless steel vent hood.

I would re-think tearing up the laminate as well. It seems to flow through the whole space and if it was laid on top of existing tile, you will have an uneven transition between the laminate and the tile. I think a better option is to leave the laminate until you're ready to replace it all and paint the cabinets if you don't like the wood on wood look. IMO, I think your best bet is a pretty runner and to leave everything as is until you're ready for a complete overhaul.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

If you do eventually decide to paint the cabinets yourself, scrub them thoroughly first. Every time food is fried, a bit of grease mist rises and lands on surfaces. None of that can be on your cabinets if you expect your paint job to look good.

As to the potential curb change over the peninsula that I mentioned ...

Measure the depth of the curb -- wall to front edge -- over the cabinets that are right of the peninsula and left of the microwave.

On the left side of the curb that is over the peninsula, measure from the wall to a point that is the same distance/depth along the side/bottom of the curb over the peninsula

You could use easily removable painter's tape or an easily erasable pencil to mark a line across the bottom of the curb over the peninsula. The line would go from the left side of the curb over the peninsula at a point equal to the depth of the adjoining curb to the right angle/point where the two curbs meet.

That would give show about how much of the curb over the peninsula you'd need to remove to enable the curb over the cabinets over the stove to continue in a straight line. Of course, you'd need to trim another inch or ... an amount that is equal to the thickness of the board you'd need to add to face what's left of the curb against the wall to make it match the rest of that curb over the stove/microwave.

• vrieck
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hey everyone. I just wanted to give an update. The kitchen has been redone! We kept the countertop, backsplash, and appliances. We replaced the floors, painted walls and cabinets. replaced cabinet hardware, took out the kitchen island, and added a rug. Oh, and we replaced the cabinet that was above the microwave with one that was flush with the rest of them and removed the cabinet crown molding.

Before:

After

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Wow-it looks really nice. The cabinet color is very pretty and I really like that you removed the island. Great improvement!