SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sageviews

Starfire Glass Shower Wall - acceptable warp?

Sylva Leduc
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are having shower glass installed in our new bathroom. The style is modern with tall and wide glass, that is frameless. The shower glass is Starfire and 3/8". We found a licensed contractor who does these types of installations. I asked him if we should get 3/8" or 1/2" because I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any bowing. Below is a pic of what ours will look like when finished. He assured me that 3/8" would be fine and it would not bow.

When the contractor was installing the glass, after he finished with the wall installation, he discovered that the door was manufactured wrong. The glass company has resent a new door, and he will be here tomorrow to finish the installation.

Yesterday, I noticed that the glass for the shower wall has a bow in the middle. The dimensions for the glass wall, are 90" high and 45" wide. Using the specs below with the "string test" the warp is at the very end of tolerance, between 1/4" - 9/32".

The acceptable tolerances for tempered glass show for height and not width. And I don't know if it is any different for Starfire glass versus regular clear glass.

Before even installing, shouldn't he have rejected the glass for the wall?

Also, is there any danger with this much warp?

Comments (30)