SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrship

Hallway Lighting Guidance - Offset fixtures?

Mrs. Hip
3 years ago

Hello! We recently purchased a 1960s split and are about to replace all the interior doors and mouldings...painting walls as well. Our current light fixtures in the hallway are (2) 6" recessed squares. My husband wants to replace both with flush mount fixtures, but I think it might be odd that they are not aligned in the hallway. I understand the purpose of offsetting them...the fixture near the landing of the stairwell is also used to bbn illuminate the stairs going down to the main level as well as the other stairs going further down to the sub-level. In my opinion, the eye isn't drawn to recessed lighting so it is ok if it is offset. Part of me wants to get a new recessed fixture for the end of the hallway and then a larger, flush mount fixture at the other end where the stairwell is. My husband believes that it will look odd to have two different fixture types in the same hallway. I'm at a loss on what to do. Do we just replaced both with recessed and leave as is? Or move the landing fixture so that it is in alignment with the fixture at the back of the hallway? Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Comments (2)