SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coops905

Options for LED retrofit can lighting

H202
3 years ago

Our home is a 1950s classic midcentury home that was modernized and expanded in 2000 by the original architect. In the 2000 renovation, they installed lots of can lights throughout. I was thinking about using this down time to replace some of the yellowed baffles, but thought it was a good time to consider swapping for LED retrofits.

What i currently have is run of the mill 4.5" and 6" white baffle can lights circa 2000. They don't really offend me at all (minus the yellowing), but I keep reading online references about how dated this style of light looks. So then I look at the LED retrofit styles available online, and honestly they look pretty similar to what i already have. When you stand right underneath them, they look different. But from a cursory glance, they have identical baffles.

I obviously can't visit a local lighting store to get expert opinions, so would appreciate if people could post links to LED retrofits that are more up to date style wise. Or maybe the retrofits, by definition, have to look the same as the existing can lights? So you only get up-to-date LED styles if you're starting from scratch and aren't tied to pre-cut holes in the ceiling?

I guess my question is: if i were to retrofit my existing can lighting, what are my options for an up to date look?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax