Trump and Cuomo not on the same page about NY

Ann

I haven't heard Trump has declared the stronger NY quarantine yet today, but he discussed it in Virginia earlier today. Cuomo is indicating quite an issue with the possibility of it. This could get interesting. There has been great criticism from the left over Trump wanting to get America open. Recognizing the magnitude of the NY problem at present, what will the narrative shift to if Trump decides a stronger quarantine is required in NY as part of his overall plan to address this virus?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cuomo-on-possible-ny-quarantine-i-dont-think-its-legal/ar-BB11QkdE?ocid=spartandhp

SaveComment100Like1
Comments (100)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana H

Trump had already tweeted that he won't be issuing any such thing. He is all mouth.

1 Like Save    
Ann

I haven't seen that news and I'm sorry to hear it. The NY number of deaths today are over half the total number for all 50 states. The NY number of new cases are not quite half of the entire country, but close. IMO, the segmented, regional approach makes a whole lot of sense. This was only to be a two week "stronger" quarantine. Knowing that Cuomo is very disturbed about NY, why would he not want to try to limit that level of severity spreading to other states - over a two week period.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Birx is discussing it right now. I'll see what I can learn from one of our experts.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Public radio is saying that no quarantine -- Trump changed his mind after having listened to those who have expertise in this area (doctors).

Wouldn't common sense dictate that he consult the experts before making an announcement?

And why would he announce the possibility of a quarantine without first notifying the governors of the states affected?

7 Likes Save    
Nana H

Because he is all mouth

7 Likes Save    

Because he is all mouth

Poor impulse control, and lack of common sense.

5 Likes Save    
Nana H

Ann, here is WH release

President Donald Trump announced
Saturday that he would not be quarantining New York City's metro area,
which has emerged as the nation's largest hot spot for the coronavirus,
after floating the idea earlier in the day.

"On the recommendation of the White House CoronaVirus Task Force,
and upon consultation with the Governor’s of New York, New Jersey and
Connecticut,
I have asked the @CDCgov
to issue a strong Travel Advisory, to be administered by the Governors,
in consultation with the ....Federal Government," Trump tweeted. "A quarantine will not be necessary. Full details will be released by CDC tonight. Thank you!"

Save    
Ann

Okay, Birx said, "This will come down to communities doing the guidelines perfectly." When asked about this situation with this proposed tri-state lockdown, she said the Governors assured Trump it's not necessary and they can address the residents of their states and the careful following of guidelines. IMO, if Cuomo thinks he can get a grip on the situation on his state, he will need to stop whining, stop blaming and start acting as he says he can do. The federal government has and is providing enormous support to the state of NY.

5 Likes Save    
Nana H

As usual he should have consulted wth the task force and the Governors first before opening his yap.

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

Bad news. I was calling for NY to be shut down when they had 8k cases. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of tests in NY.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

IMO, Cuomo is the Acting President and Trump is just acting.

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

The experts are spending way too much time talking Trump off his cliffs. He requires more work than a toddler.

7 Likes Save    

When Colorado's governor pleads with Trump for more ventilators, N-95 masks, will that be "whining" as well?

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Nancy, Colorado's governor? Yes, I think it will be should that occur!

Save    
Nana H

55,000 cases...next closest 8,000 cases.

I am tired of the jabbering about pulling together for Trump. For God's sake pull together for your fellow Americans . They are dying !!!!

1 Like Save    

Ann, you cannot imagine that coronavirus will overwhelm your state's resources? You are completely confident that Colorado will be exempt from the furious contagion of Covid-19? Are you not aware of the seriousness of this pandemic?

Requesting medical supplies to treat Americans is NOT whining -- it's what governors and mayors should be doing to protect those under their jurisdiction.

For God' s sake pull together for your fellow Americans . They are dying !!!!

Needs to be repeated over and over and over and over.

9 Likes Save    
Ann

"I am tired of the jabbering about pulling together for Trump. For God' s sake pull together for your fellow Americans . They are dying !!!!."

Huh? Trump is POTUS and POTUS stands for the President of the United States. Pulling together to support our country by supporting the person working very hard to lead this country through this crisis is precisely what every country should do. Isn't that precisely what your country is doing, Nana, while Canadians are also dying at increasing numbers each day, just like nearly every other country in the world. No country impacted (with a large or small population) is getting through this without deaths.

4 Likes Save    
Toby

I read this was in response to DiSantis complaining about all the New Yorkers traveling to their vacation homes in Florida. So if you want to keep New Yorkers in NY, you announce that you're thinking of quarantining the city? If anyone was thinking about going down to Florida, they'd start packing their bags right then to get out before the city closed.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

55,000 cases...next closest 8,000 cases.

NJ has 11,124.

Save    
Nana H

Thanks...must be a recent update.

So.....55K next worst 11K .....doesn't change the picture much.

How can anyone look at the situation in NY and not say anything other than holy he!! ....what can we do to help !!!!!

1 Like Save    

Pulling together to support our country by supporting the governors who are working very hard to lead their states through this crisis is precisely what everyone should do.

The governors know the situation in their states and cities better than the White House. If their experts are predicting spiking increases in Covid cases, the White House should be giving full support to their requests. Given that there are 50 states, the WH should have been planning for 50 emergencies since January of this year.

6 Likes Save    
Ann

Nancy, my state is having quite a problem with the virus. I hope if it keeps getting worse, all available ventilators will be dispersed to all states where they are needed and no states will be keeping surpluses in warehouses. Not just states, but many countries are worrying about ventilator availability!

"Canada's hospitals and health officials are looking at ways to boost the number of available ventilators to prepare for a deluge of very sick COVID-19 patients amid projections that they could run out of such life-saving equipment within weeks."

"In total, Ontario has 2,000 ICU beds and 1,300 ventilators, but most are in use. Sander suggests 25 per cent be freed up for COVID-19 patients by cancelling elective surgeries and discharging patients. She said her main concern now is that Ontario keep up its social distancing measures and that "we absolutely do the planning and ramp up our capacity of ventilators and ICU beds. It has to happen."

"The growing number of patients critically sick with the coronavirus is fueling demand for ventilators to at least ten times of what’s available at hospitals around the world, said China’s top medical device maker."

"He told Israel's Channel 12 that in northern Italy the orders are not to allow those over 60 access to ventilators.

The limited number of machines are being saved for younger patients with a better chance of survival, he said.

Dr Peleg revealed in his department, which receives coronavirus patients who are terminally ill, the focus is on allowing contact with loved ones during their last moments despite the strict quarantine.

Health services across the world face shortages of equipment caused by the rapid spread of Covid-19."

Save    
Ann

"The governors know the situation in their states and cities better than the White House. If their experts are predicting spiking increases in Covid cases, the White House should be giving full support to their requests. "

Please provide even one single example of where President Trump has not given the greatest possible support to any request of any governor.

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

Guess Cuomo got to him.

Save    

I hope if it keeps getting worse, all available ventilators will be dispersed to all states where they are needed and no states will be keeping surpluses in warehouses.

The requests for ventilators are made before there is a desperate need because of lead times needed for the shipments to arrive, and then directed to the hospitals in need. Andrew Cuomo was advised by his team of the coming apex in cases, and he is preparing for that eventuality.

Do you have any idea how much time it takes to pull items, and have them shipped? Locating sufficient vehicles and drivers for the transport, the actual loading, verifying the delivery destinations, unloading, then transporting to hospitals -- in advance of the critical need.

2 Likes Save    

Please provide even one single example of where President Trump has not given the greatest possible support to any request of any governor.

See Andrew Cuomo.

Will Trump choose the 26,000 Covid victims in NYC that will not have a ventilator?

1 Like Save    
Ann

Chipotle: "Guess Cuomo got to him."

Chipotle, actually I think we already had a very good follow up to this comment of yours and right on this thread.

Nancy: "The governors know the situation in their states and cities better than the White House."

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

"I hope if it keeps getting worse, all available ventilators will be
dispersed to all states where they are needed and no states will be
keeping surpluses in warehouses."

Ann, who is gong to coordinate that across 50 States? How do you manage an unknowable demand without having a reserve on standby? What do you think ....150 cases show up in one day needing ICU care and you just call your next door neighbor State and say Fedex me 150! Maybe it's 300 .....who knows!

I am more and more convinced that some just don't understand what the situation really is

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

"Please provide even one single example of where President Trump has not
given the greatest possible support to any request of any governor."

Will give Trump this ...great leader that he is , he has done everything he has been told to do

Save    

This is a comment I made on another thread, but it seems to pertain to this discussion as well.

I'm thankful that Governor Cuomo is publicly laying out the trajectory of Covid-19 as the virus ravages the city. Knowing what to expect and seeing the results play out are two different things. These are fellow Americans, not Chinese or Europeans who can be more easily dismissed from mind.

In the next few weeks, your city or town could be next, in the same position that NYC finds itself. Your fellow residents will be those denied adequate treatment because of lack of hospital beds, medical supplies. The health care workers in your area will be the ones without adequate PPE, falling ill to the virus, same as the residents of your city or town. Who treats the ill when the medical personnel are too ill to work?

Every part of the country will need medical supplies, and this need should have been acknowledged and acted upon back in January. We have the capacity to produce PPE and ventilators, and we lost precious months to inaction -- inaction that will affect every part of the country.

We are all in this together. If Trump can't see this, if can't unite the country in the fight against coronavirus, if he can't set aside ego for the greater good, more reason that he is unfit for the White House.

10 Likes Save    
Ann

"Ann, who is gong to coordinate that across 50 States? How do you manage an unknowable demand without having a reserve on standby? What do you think ....150 cases show up in one day needing ICU care and you just call your next door neighbor State and say Fedex me 150! Maybe it's 300 .....who knows!"

Great question. Please describe the plan Trudeau currently has in place for the various provinces in Canada. Your country's cases and deaths are growing each day (today being Canada's worst day yet, not unlike many countries). Does every province have the greatest number of ventilators they might need (per worst case projections) and a "sharing between provinces" plan currently in place? Does each province already have that worst case scenario number of ventilators currently in their individual province and ready to use tomorrow, should they be needed? I'd love to hear the specifics!

1 Like Save    
chipotle

Ann, this is what Trump thinks about the citizens in your state. Open your eyes!

Anecdotally, there are wide differences, and they do not appear to
follow discernible political or geographic lines. Democratic-leaning
Massachusetts, which has had a serious outbreak in Boston, has received
17 percent of the protective gear it requested, according to state
leaders. Maine requested a half-millionN95 specialized protective masks and
received 25,558 — about 5 percent of what it sought. The shipment
delivered to Colorado — 49,000 N95 masks, 115,000 surgical masks and
other supplies — would be “enough for only one full day of statewide
operations,” Rep. Scott R. Tipton (R-Colo.) told the White House in a
letter several days ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/desperate-for-medical-equipment-states-encounter-a-beleaguered-national-stockpile/2020/03/28/1f4f9a0a-6f82-11ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Great question. Please describe the plan Trudeau currently has in place for the various provinces in Canada

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-pulling-out-all-the-stops-to-fight-covid-19-trudeau-on-1b-plan-1.4848070

The $500 million being earmarked for the provinces and territories will be going towards "critical health care system needs" and to ensure that the premiers are all taking necessary measures to make sure hospitals and health services have enough equipment and staff. "Financial considerations should not and will not be an obstacle" in preparing, the government said.

In co-ordination with this the government is also bulk purchasing personal protective equipment including: rubber gloves, surgical masks, respirators, face shields, isolation gowns and coveralls.

5 Likes Save    
Nana H

Ann, I'll try and find supporting articles tomorrow but to answer your question yes, at this time it is my undetstanding that each Province has enough ventilators in reserve and on order for the anticipated short term demand. ... and the Federal government is cordinating a procurement and disbursement strategy. I am not hearing any complaints from the Provinces.

Here is one article but it's a week old and not exactly what you are asking but informative. As I say , I will look further tomorrow.

Save    
Kathy

China donates thousands of medical masks, personal protective equipment to Canada

1 Like Save    
Nana H

That was because we donated literally tonnes of equipment to China when the outbreak first happened there....what goes around, comes around.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Wonderful Roxsol. Not a single word about current ventilators, anticipated delivery of ventilators, projected need of ventilators, ventilators by province, etc. But it certainly reads like an optimistic overview article.

Each day of the last several, Trump has gone over exact numbers of supplies of each category (gloves, masks, ventilators, etc.) delivered to our hardest hit states so there is no question about it. Is Trudeau making similar and very specific info available to all Canadians on a daily basis?

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Ann, I am not sure about numbers, but I will research it. Trudeau has a daily televised announcement.

In February, Canada sent 16 tonnes of medical equipment to China to help the country, which was then the epicentre of the outbreak, respond to the emergency.

edited for clarification

Save    
Ann

Nana, I think you forgot the link you mentioned - "Here is one article".

Save    
Ann

I didn't realize Canada and China were working together so nicely.

Save    
roxsol

Ann, I believe the province of Alberta is similar in size and lifestyle of Colorado.

Just out of interest, how is Colorado doing with Covid19?

We have had 2 deaths, so far:(

Alberta has tested 43,000

Save    
roxsol

Okay, so 3250 extra ventilators are being sent to Ontario.

BC and Alberta feel they will have enough.

I’m still checking on other provinces.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Roxsol, Colorado has approximately 1.5 million more residents than Alberta. Our state has suffered quite a number of deaths (44). We have just over 2000 cases.

Hopefully, you'll not get any more or too many more deaths. Your province currently has 621 cases and I certainly hope each of those people recover.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

Three of Canada’s largest auto parts manufacturers, the Automotive Parts Manufacturers Association and the province of Ontario have agreed to focus their ventilator building efforts on three projects.

Auto parts manufacturers have been working with government officials to see how they can help build medical equipment such as ventilators, necessary to treat COVID-19 but in limited supply in countries grappling with a spike in hospitalizations.

Magna International Inc., Linamar Corp. and Martinrea International Inc., along with the APMA, reached the agreement with the province after meeting earlier this week, Magna spokeswoman Tracy Fuerst confirmed in an email.

The three projects include ventilators built by Toronto-based Thornhill Medical, Brampton, Ont.-based O-Two Medical Technologies Inc. and General Motors Co. and Ventec Life Systems, which partnered to build ventilators at the GM plant in Indiana.

Magna is supporting the initiative with some components, logistics and purchasing, Fuerst said.

Thornhill was one of the medical equipment makers singled out by the federal government last week as part of its plan to make ventilators in Canada to ensure there’s enough supply. Its high-tech, portable ventilators were originally designed for military use.

O-Two also makes portable, transportable ventilators. It will be building the E700 model, a light weight ventilator with long battery life that provides ICU level care, according to its website.

GM and Ventec are aiming to build 200,000 ventilators, according to Reuters.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

^^^^^This sounds like something that could help both Canada and USA.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"Okay, so 3250 extra ventilators are being sent to Ontario."

Great news. As of Wednesday of this week, they only had 12 per 100,000 people.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ontario-ventilator-covid19-coronavirus-1.5509454

ETA: Just noticed this as I was closing that window:

"In typical circumstances, however, about 80 per cent of ventilator capacity is taken up by emergency hospitalizations unrelated to COVID-19.

That means the actual capacity for COVID-19 patients in Ontario is actually closer to two to three ventilators for 100,000 people."

1 Like Save    
Ann

GM? Yes, there have been issues with GM, but now our government has had to step in (unfortunately, as that's not how it typically works in our country). GM decided they wanted to use this opportunity to price gouge and over promise. Trump had no choice. I think it's the first company we've needed to take this action with.

Save    
roxsol

I wish America the best.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Colorado isn't in too much better shape than Ontario with a current ventilator number of 12 per 76,000 people.

Save    
elvis

Thanks for all the info, Roxsol and Ann. Our two countries are linked together in so many ways.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Thank you Roxsol! I wish all of Canada the best too, and Trudeau as he leads his country through this time. I mean that very sincerely and I feel the exact same way about every other country and every other leader going through this right now.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

Ann, just looking at the numbers, it looks like Alberta may also have the same ventilator numbers as Ontario and Colorado. I need to read a bit more on it.

eta But then we have much smaller case numbers at the same time. Our projected needs are lower.

Save    
Save    
Ann

Roxsol,

"In total, the province will soon have 527-597 adult ventilators, and 78 pediatric ventilators to fight COVID-19, and other critical care needs, said Kerry Williamson, spokesperson with Alberta Health Services. AHS could not provide details Wednesday on how many of those ventilators are currently in use because it fluctuates daily."

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/how-many-ventilators-and-icu-beds-does-alberta-have-1.4859181

Colorado currently has 900 and has requested 7000 more. None of those have yet been provided.

Save    
roxsol

“During a press conference at the legislature Wednesday, Premier Jason Kenney said scientists project COVID-19 will peak about four or five weeks from now. When asked by CTV News whether Alberta had enough equipment, he said he believed we do.

“I’ve been briefed by Dr. Hinshaw and Alberta Health Services that based on their forecast, we have adequate equipment, adequate surgical suites, ventilators, personal protection equipment and other critical supplies to deal with the projected peak in infections,” Kenney said.“

Our Premier has been following the advice of our Chief Medical Officer.

Currently,Alberta Health said there have been 38 hospitalizations, with 12 admitted to intensive care units.

I think our early testing and large number of tests has helped our province to keep the numbers of those infected relatively low.

eta Sorry for going off topic from the OP, but the question did come up about Canada.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

BTW

heard a talk show guy urging everyone NOT to make a run on the banks ...

Friday, local tellers say they were standing on their feet all shift, as peeps were cashing their checks (still? must be nice) and taking out hundreds of dollars extra ... cuz

they had heard ...

Save    
Kathy

Evidently US handed over approx 17 tons of medical supplies to China in February.

Save    
elvis

In February, Canada sent 16 tonnes of medical equipment to China to help the country, which was then the epicentre of the outbreak, respond to the emergency.

Yes, both Canada and the US sent help.

Surely you don't disapprove, kathy.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Ann, sorry about that I was just heading to bed. The key piece here is that the Federal Government is co-ordinating the procurement ad disbursement of ventilators going forward. I believe the Provinces were doing that on their own before.

"Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, was asked
about the supply of ventilators in Canada and the ability for the
country to address a surge in demand. She said that type of planning is
underway.

“Things like ventilators, personal protective equipment —
like masks and gloves and such, hand sanitizers and laboratory-type
testing equipment or swabs — those are all part of the federally
facilitated co-ordinated purchasing mechanism,” she told reporters
Sunday."

https://globalnews.ca/news/6682780/coronavirus-pandemic-ventilators-canada/

Save    
Ann

Nana, Roxsol and I managed to cover the topic quite thoroughly last night and we got lots of specific numbers for specific provinces. Hopefully Canada's case number will stay relatively low or, like nearly every other country in the world facing the virus, their ventilator needs will clearly be difficult to meet. The world (and its leaders) are certainly facing a challenging situation.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Ann, I didn't go back and read the thread once I saw that I had omitted the link. I'll do that now. However, the part I was trying to address was the role the Federal Government is playing in coordinating the need for ventilators.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Elvis, I don’t disapprove unless he doesn’t have enough for US when he knew we would get it here. I do wonder why he didn’t make provisions to get supplies at that time.

Florida has gotten everything they requested and expect 2 more shipments while some states have gotten only 5% of their request. Why is that? Unless it is because DeSantis is a Republican that supports Trump every move.

Save    
Nana H

This is very encouraging plus there is another medical manufacturing company ramping up. These are companies that actually make ventilators so there is no retooling involved. Trudeau talks at 11 AM, will be tuning in. The very shallow side of me hopes he has shaved that damn beard.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6716103/canada-coronavirus-ventilators-manufacturing/

Save    
roxsol

Nana, I would say, overall, most Canadians are happy with how our federal government is handling this. The provincial and federal government seem to be on the same page with most things about Covid 19. Mainly, they are following the advice of the scientific community.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Lol, Nana! I like the beard.

(That’s the shallow side of me)

Save    
Nana H

Agree totally, they are working brilliantly together as are the Premiers, regardless of party affiliation. I never , ever would have imagined the day I would be happy with Doug Ford's leadership.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Trump does spend a lot of his winter in Florida. And he want to keep his properties in FL to running as much as possible.

On a more serious note - this older article addresses this (March 20th)

https://www.propublica.org/article/heres-why-florida-got-all-the-emergency-medical-supplies-it-requested-while-other-states-did-not

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Strange times, nana, strange times.

Save    
mr1010

nancy-in-venice asked-

And why would he announce the possibility of a quarantine without first notifying the governors of the states affected?

-----------

R Fl. Gov. claims he talks to Trump almost everyday. I'm sure our Gov. has been pushing Trump to quarantine NYers as he's been stating the number of planes coming in each day packed with fleeing NYers. It's been a bee in his bonnet since the first few cases came in from NY. And they're still coming, so it's understandable

there should be some effort to halt the spread.

Fl. is way under reporting the # of cases due to extreme shortage of tests. If we ever get a healthy supply of tests and quicker results (not 5 days) you will see the cases skyrocket. It's much more serious in Fl. than what the public knows.

Save    
Ann

While I almost always prefer (a nicely trimmed) beard on nearly any guy, I'm in agreement with Nana about Trudeau's beard.

Save    
ubro(2a)

Ann

I didn't realize Canada and China were working together so nicely.

Snark? Yes, we helped when they were desperate, and they return the favour.

In case you did not know we don't have a great relationship right now with China, but the ability to set aside differences when a Pandemic arises is beneficial to all.

Had the US been hit first you bet your boots we all would have helped, and IMO if we recover first and have excess you are welcome to it, freely given, no strings.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"R Fl. Gov. claims he talks to Trump almost everyday. I'm sure our Gov. has been pushing Trump to quarantine NYers as he's been stating the number of planes coming in each day packed with fleeing NYers. It's been a bee in his bonnet since the first few cases came in from NY. And they're still coming, so it's understandable"

One can certainly understand Florida's position on this!

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Ann, rest assured that there is no love lost between Canada and China, as mentioned there are serious political tensions right now centered around two Canadians who have been unjustly, forcibly detained.

However, as Canadians a humanitarian crisis trumps any political differences. If we come out of this sooner than the States I have no doubt whatsoever that we will ship the States all the ventilators and PPE supplies we can.

This too shall pass for all of us but not before it causes much more pain and grief. God Bless out front line healthcare workers in boht the US and Canada and all across the world.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Yet DeSantis didn’t do anything to close Florida beaches before the spring breaks? People in Fl are still complaining about his attitude during this crisis.

Save    
roxsol

Ann, I didn't want to leave you with the impression that Trudeau does not give daily televised reports. He does. The Chief Medical Officer of my province gives daily televised briefings as well.

I watch them every day. They are very informative and factual. Trudeau doesn't go into specific numbers, is what I meant. Today, after he spoke, he took live calls on air, from the general public.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Trudeau is giving daily televised reports? That does surprise me after the beard discussion. Did he have a beard on Friday and Saturday and there is curiosity whether he'd shave it off this morning?

Save    
Kathy

Did Trump just tell reporters to investigate why hospitals are using so many masks? Really?

2 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Oh-Oh, it's time for Barr to investigate "Maskgate"

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

OMG!

Save    
chipotle

Save    
chipotle

In other words, Trump accused a reporter of being "threatening" for calmly asking a question based on something he said.

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

Trudeau is giving daily televised reports?

Yes. For over two weeks now.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpost.com/news/justin-trudeaus-widely-watched-daily-covid-19-updates-not-likely-to-stop-anytime-soon/amp?client=safari

“Television networks are carrying the prime minister’s daily announcements everyday live and the events are posted online to Twitter and Facebook, where they are racking up hundreds of thousands of views. Even when there is sometimes not much new to announce, his team believes there is value in having him out there reminding Canadians to stay isolated and wash their hands.“

———

“Trudeau’s staff say so far politics isn’t a major concern, noting that even provincial premiers who often disagree with the prime minister are making the same arguments he is.”

Save    
Kathy

Ooh Trump is coming down on Cuomo now. He cannot resist slamming someone. First accusing about the masks and now accusing Cuomo of lying about the ventilators. Why? What is he trying to prove? He only makes himself look bad.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Dems need to keep all this on a continuous loop until the election. Trump’s behavior during this crisis is inexcusable.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiSGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNiYy5jYS9uZXdzL3BvbGl0aWNzL25leHQtd2Vlay1jcnVjaWFsLWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLTEuNTUxNDI0MtIBIGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNiYy5jYS9hbXAvMS41NTE0MjQy?hl=en-CA&gl=CA&ceid=CA%3Aen

Ann, we also get regular updates from Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada Chief Public Health Officer. Our government is keeping Canadians very informed. I hope they listen and we can get this thing beaten.

“Dr. Theresa Tam said she is keeping a close eye on Ontario, Quebec and Alberta — provinces where the coronavirus is spreading within communities — to see if there will be a decrease in the rate of new confirmed cases, as British Columbia has seen.

"I still think it's a little too early to tell because we are only at the end of March, but next week will be very important in terms of looking at those trends," said Tam at her daily update on Sunday.“

eta Justin still has the beard :)

You asked :)

Save    
Kathy

Trump is coming apart again. He should never take questions. His temper always gets the best of him. He can’t defend himself without getting nasty. Such a great negotiator, NOT!

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

1 Like Save    
soupgirl53

At least it is good to hear Trump has finally guaranteed a ventilator to everyone who needs one. The previous reporter who asked that question of Trump was told "Don't get cute."

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

I think it’s finally hitting his thick head that this is really serious when some of his friends are in a coma. Bout time!

Save    
Nana H

Rixsol, I was so hoping the "beard" was part of his isolation and with the news today that Sophie , thankfully , has a clean bill of health he would emerge clean shaven. No such luck. Oh well .....

1 Like Save    

Prejudice against beards is so uncalled for!

(Says she who finds beards attractive.)

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Me too but not his, the grey is off putting given his hair colour.....do like his moustache though

Save    
roxsol

nancy, I find beards very attractive too.

nana, Justin has had his beard since he was re-elected. He must be thinking like a hockey player. You know how superstitious they are when they get a win, especially a lucky one, they don’t want to change a thing? I think Justin is using his beard that way.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Just checked....he grew the beard over Christmas and has had it since.

Save    
Nana H

Well I can understand that because he sure was lucky........but I still don't like it on him.

1 Like Save    
chipotle

I love beards, especially if your man needs to shave twice a day to keep the stubble at bay. I'd much rather a face full of soft hair.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

That makes sense Roxsol, I really hadn't noticed until he started the briefings..........

Save    
elvis

roxsol

Just checked....he grew the beard over Christmas and has had it since.

Well, he can keep it as long as he doesn't need to use a mask/respirator. Seriously.

Save    
roxsol

elvis, that’s true. Hopefully, it won’t come to that.

Even though his wife is out of isolation and is healthy, the family is still social distancing. Trudeau is going to continue to work from home. It is what he has been telling Canadians to do. Stay home!

eta He thanks all essential service workers, every single day.

Save    
Ann

I also typically prefer men with beards, but I think he looks much better and about 15 years younger without one.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Your First House So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Know Your House Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
Working With an Interior Designer 10 Things Decorators Want You to Know About What They Do
They do more than pick pretty colors. Here's what decorators can do for you — and how you can help them
Full Story
We offer a unique combination of design flexibility, product quality, expressive creative options, craftmanship... Read More
A local family owned & operated business. Our goal is to provide an excellent service with the best quality job... Read More