SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_388404665

Newbie NJ garden- need tips on wood chips/soil/compost layer order

HU-388404665
4 years ago

Very new/inexperienced gardener here- trying to figure out how to use wood chips in our vegetable garden.

Any tips? Advice is genuinely appreciated!

I see a decent amount of info about wood chips online but I can’t find much about what order to put soil/wood chips/ compost and which layer to plant in.

We have a garden on the side of the yard near the driveway, it was an active garden a few years ago with flowers and plants. We had two trees taken down (oak I think) maybe 2-3 years ago which were made into wood chips which have been sitting on top of the garden, maybe 6-12+ inches deep.

I’m planning on setting up raised beds there.

Should I leave the wood chips under and put topsoil above, or remove the wood chips, plant in the soil and then put wood chips on top?

*We also have a lot of leaves which have been sitting since fall and a relatively small amount of mixed compost- mainly coffee, orange peels and apple cores.

I have a lot of cannellini, lentil and black bean plants, plus spinach, and tomatoes in my greenhouse, beans doing very well, other stuff is struggling but it has been cold. I plan on planing carrots, potatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, eggplants, onions, radishes, etc.

Comments (5)