SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

BEGINNER* flower beds?

Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi everyone! We just bought our house in October so this will be our first Spring and summer here.

I am completely a beginner and when it comes to outdoor planting. We have quite a large yard and right now I’ve been focusing on cleaning up the overgrowth that the previous owner left.
I’d like to put some garden beds in these areas. Any suggestions for a beginner? Right now we’re just watching the yard to see what blooms up, but I’d like to add some annuals.

We are in zone 6. The house front faces East. Thanks!!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

When people say the word "flowers" they are usually talking about annuals ... those plants that bloom all summer and die when it gets cold, and are then thrown away. Some annuals produce seed that is saved for year. Here, you are probably more talking about the whole foundation planting bed since it goes all around your house and there is now barely anything in it. Unimaginative builders usually make these beds to shallow (skinny) and plant the exclusively with shrubs which grow too fast and large. In a few years most people are dying to yank all the plants out and start over. It looks like that might be in process here. I would highly suggest though that before planting anything, you upgrade the beds from the builder's design. Make them the right depth for growing plants so your house can look its best. If you have any plans to paint, it would be good to do before you plant anything. If you are going to plant now and paint later, you'll especially want your beds deep enough so that there is some space behind the plants for accessing the house.

You'll either want to focus on one subject or one area at a time. If you're all over the yard doing everything at the same time, the conversation here will become confusing and hard to follow. I suggest the subject you start with is the creation of new beds and those would likely be all around the house. Unfortunately, there's no good way to describe a complete, all around bed system for the whole house. The best way to discuss it is by you providing a plan that includes the basic "footprint" of your house. You probably have such a document already in your papers from the closing. Or, it might be possible to create a base plan from Google Satellite View. Or, one could always measure and draw. The things that need to be included are house footprint, walks, drive, and any tree trunks (not canopy). If you wanted to extend this to larger parts of the yard (front yard/back yard) that would be fine, but then you'd need to include lot lines or fence, and the back of the curb or street edge. Here's a sample of a simple base plan. (It has a double line at some places to indicate a brick mowing strip and a small retaining wall.)

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the input! I thought I had mentioned annuals in my original post but I must have accidentally edited it?
    We had a LOT of shrubs taken out and cut back when we moved in, which were so overgrown you couldn’t see out of the windows.

The ‘beds’ and edging behind everything we removed weren’t even visible to us. The house and landscaping are 30 years old.
    Here’s some pictures from when we moved in:.

(this one is the front windows and walkway in front of my house. It was a complete mess)

• Related Discussions

Designing Front Beds of Colonial House-Beginner!

Q

Comments (1)
    While not having the time to make landscape suggestions I would suggest that you do a search for 'chinch bug' and follow the directions for checking and then treating your lawn if they are present. The moth-eaten look of your grass suggests chinch bug damage. You should easily find complete information on this unwelcome, tiny insect which is common to your area lawns.
    ...See More

Lasanga Beds for Beginners - new blog

Q

Comments (3)
    One of my problems is that I'm finding it hard to take photos of gardens - it's harder then it looks. I can take shots of vacations (as see on the Virgin Island and Ride Across America blogs) but gardens have a unique problem and I'm thinking close ups are the way to go. and thanks!
    ...See More

Raised garden beds for beginner

Q

Comments (13)
    8"-12" deep is plenty for most crops. If you wanted to grow the extra long carrots, anything else with a long tap root, you'd need more depth. (Note: You can still grow the half-long 6" carrots just fine.) I agree with the others that 4' is a good maximum width. I have short arms, and it is just not comfortable for me to work in the center of a 4' wide bed. I actually made my beds only 3' wide. 3 1/2' would have been okay, but DH wanted to keep it simple for him in construction, heh. I almost went with a 2' wide aisle between beds, but opted at the last second for 3' and I am glad I did. Big plants (tomatoes, etc.) don't stay neatly contained exactly within the borders of the bed - they'll stick out the sides and you'll be glad of the room to get around them without breaking branches. Also, it's nice to be able to get a cart or wheelbarrow through when you have big jobs like adding compost or mulch to the beds.
    ...See More

Beginner hosta lover - new bed b4 & after

Q

Comments (42)
    My guess for #1 is Lakeside Hoola Hoop. Its been on my list to buy so I've looked at a number of pictures. Now I'm going back to read the rest of this thread. (long one) Beverly OK now I read it. Nice house and plenty of room to garden. I like the front of your house, nicely landscaped. Good luck with the goutweed. It took me nearly 5 years to remove landscaping rock from around my house and I still have some under the yew in the front yard. However it was worth it and surprisingly satisfying. Removing the goutweed may be similarly satisfying. Happy digging Beverly This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 8:42
    ...See More
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

I'm rather sad to see those before pictures compared with the naked after photos. It's too late now but did you get the existing shrubs identified before everything was ripped out? Some of it clearly had to go, like the Euonymus alatus, but imo you had a mature garden which needed editing, taming and care rather than complete destruction. Age is not necessarily a negative when you're dealing with trees and shrubs. We generally recommend living with a garden for a full year, doing only general maintenance and tidying, before making radical changes.

As it is now I'd remove all the edging. It is wonky and does nothing for the appearance of the beds.

Original Author
    4 years ago

We did consult with our landscaper who explained that many of the plantings were too far gone and had grown too much above the trunk to be saved. Sorry, I don’t know the term...
    My house siding and windows were being affected by the overgrowth.
    I have a cedar house and we were concerned with damage due to plants and pests.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

z6 is rather diverse... how about a big city name ...

i was going to suggest that you spend a year just observing what might pop up ... lol ... then i saw those monster shrubs.. and i am sure there wasnt much under them ...

i like the idea of annuals for instant impact this summer ... but let me suggest its going to cost a very lot of money to cover all that ground ... so i would suggest you ID certain spaces for the most impact .. and go after those.. e.g. the view from the deck etc ... around the front door... etc ...

i would also suggest.. you cover all that bare earth with mulch [no landscape cloth].. else you are going to have a heck of a batch of weeds cover it all .. if you decide to redo the beds themselves you can always rake back the mulch and move it ... so it doesnt go to waste ... i already see plastic.. tear it out before you do anything else ...

in the meantime.. i think you need to come with with a unified long term plan for the whole landscape ... including conifers.. small trees like Japanese maples... etc .. plus perennials that return every year ... etc.. etc.. etc ... you can make a 5 year plan.. and spend 5 years doing it ... one area after another ....

and if you are going to do all that.. you may as well get rid of those shrubs you left out front ... no need to do it now.. but make removal part of the plan ...

posts are free ... and imo.. you are better off with a new post for each subject ...

there are conifer.. tree... and perennial forums...

also.. it looks like wood siding that will need cleaning and painting over the years ... if it were me... i would increase bed width.. so i could leave 2 or 3 feet of bare ground at the foundation for house work ... so that would mean.. beds 6 to 8 feet wide ....

and one last thing ...call miss dig.. and have all utilities marked.. and take pix ... be safe digging ....

ken

ps: i dont understand why the edging goes toward the house.. under the bump out window ... whats that all about ... you cant plant under the window ... whatever.. i agree with flora.. redesign the whole edging idea ...

Original Author
    4 years ago

Zone 6, just north of Newburgh, NY. 90 minutes above good ol’ NYC😉

I have no idea why the edging is like that. We’re scratching our heads over a LOT of things that we’re finding around here.

4 years ago

to my eye... the edging looks like the shrubs were already severely overgrown ... and instead of pruning them and making a nice edge... they just weaved around them .. lol ...

dont forget about fall planted bulbs ... which work well under annuals to fill in for the summer ...

ken

looking again at the siding... it looks like it needs work.. and it might be a lot easier.. to do it.. before you do any major permanent plantings ...

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

You said you'd like to "add some annuals," but that doesn't tell us if you're talking about limiting them to the places one would typically use annuals, or if you're talking about using them everywhere as a temporary solution in lieu of all other plant types.

So, you are interested in redefining the beds? ... or you will use the existing beds as they are? That seems like the first decision to make and share with readers of the thread.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I guess what I need advice about is what I can add to the existing beds to make my yard colorful and unified.

In my last house I couldn’t dig so I usually just had planters around but now that I have good soil, I’d really like to learn how to do this right.

• erasmus_gw
    4 years ago

I think the edging is fine, and will look better once you have some plants. I like the shape of it. I like the tree at the corner. You say you have good soil...that is a huge plus. If you think you'd like to dig, sounds like you are a gardener in the making. If you would enjoy that, I'd treat your yard as your bit of land that you get to experiment with and have fun with. Please yourself.

To avoid mistakes you can research specific plants here, and avoid invasive stuff and things that would get too big. Look around your area and notice plants that are doing well for neighbors.

If I were you I'd maybe get a few shrubs or plants that you'd want to get larger, and then maybe you could grow some flower seeds for color this summer or plant six packs. Or you could even plant some herbs and vegetables. Do you have favorite colors? To unify, you could plant more of one thing.

I'd consider roses. There are many kinds of them...they are not all equally fussy or thorny. Some are graceful, beautiful plants. See rose forums here especially antique roses.

• erasmus_gw
    4 years ago

Another thing to consider is not to put anything edible too close to the foundation in case someone treated it for termites.

4 years ago

the easy answer ... with annuals.. just go buy some.. dig holes.. put them in.. and water them ...

and then takes notes.. for next year.. what did well.. what didnt.. etc ...

thats how i learned pre WWW ...

one of the biggest problems with the WWW... is there is just TMI ... its just so overwhelming.. you end up paralyzed by it all ...

but the beauty of a one year plant ... is your only real goal.. is to get it thru that one year ...

so just do it ... whatever plants please you.. where ever you want them ...just get them in ...

and then relax and start thinking about the other stuff ...

ken

• docmom_gw
    4 years ago

When I first looked at your photos, my mind went immediately to coleus. They come in an amazing array of colors, sizes and textures, can tolerate a variety of sun exposure, and can be started from seed (if you start ASAP). They could provide fillers for all those beds while you ponder next steps. And, you can take cuttings to overwinter, if you decide you really like a particular variety.

Martha

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

I would plant the annuals in the corner nearest the entrance. In front of the shrub if it is still there.

I suggest removing the edging and reshaping the beds. I see black plastic in the beds. Is it everywhere? If it is then you should remove it. Plants are expensive so you may not landscape all at once. If you mulch the bed area it will help keep weeds down.

Do you have any pictures of landscaping that you like? Do you enjoy garden work?

• mle0782
    4 years ago

As stated earlier, it really is best if you start with an overall plan in mind that is cohesive for the entire yard so you don’t end up wasting a lot of money. I would suggest you really spend some time online looking at various pics to see what appeals to you. No matter what you do, the first step should be pulling out the black plastic , amending the soil and regrading the beds away from the house for drainage. If you don’t properly prepare your beds, it is very likely whatever you decide to plant won’t do well and you will have wasted a ton of money. In terms of what to plant, there are several major considerations—irrigation? Do you like color and if so, what palate or do you lean more towards green textures? Manicured appearance, English garden, natural habitat or prairie look? And here is the real biggie—do you plan to do the gardening yourself or have a garden service? If you plan to do it yourself, exactly how much time can you devote on an ongoing basis? Many, many times a landscaper will say “low maintenance “ which still means weeding and pruning at least a couple of times a season. That is completely different than “we want to throw mulch down in the spring and just rake leaves up in fall”—that means, in essence, no maintenance ,slow growing shrubs and perennials (like hostas) or groundcover. Annuals are beautiful but can be expensive and will need to be watered more frequently and may need deadheading/weeding every couple of weeks to look good.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH