SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_a_mendes

Crooked Marble Herringbone Backsplash Install. Acceptable?

Kristine
4 years ago

Hi Houzzers,

I would like your opinion on this marble herringbone backsplash install. One wall is crooked and the second is perfectly straight (see pics below). I am not totally happy with wall 1 as it just doesn't quite look right and am thinking about asking for a reinstallation before they start grouting. Am I being unreasonable?

Wall 1 - Crooked/Lopsided

Wall 2 - Perfectly Straight!

Comments (49)

• Jennifer Svensson
    4 years ago

That would drive me nuts. I would have asked them to redo at their cost.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

your picture is also crooked, so it's very hard to tell what's what. can you take a new pic and level it in edit? But yeah, it's a do over for me too.

BTW, just the fact that it's not a true 45 (compared to the other) and that it's visually slanted, should be all he needs to redo it.

Do NOT let him say it will be fine when it's grouted. It won't. and it's just more work for him to remove and redo.

He is responsible for buying replacement tile and redoing it. Do not pay him any more money until the entire project is completed. NONE

(I hope he's using white thinset.

if both walls don't match, how did he match up the tiles in the corner? lets see a photo of the corner.

the corner tiles should match up perfect . same space, everything. just imagine it's a piece of paper that is folded. when you unfold it, it should be perfectly even

here's a corner with all most perfectly matched tiles.

if those don't match up pretty close, make sure he notices and redoes it correctly.

don't know why he got one wall on the 45 and the other not.

herringbone is my thing. i've tiled numerous projects using this pattern. there is absolutely a correct way on how to start this layout so that you end up w/symmetrical ends and borders. And using your speed square while you're tiling is mandatory in order to make sure your 45 degree is be followed.

The thing I notice is his bottom row of tile. he shouldn't have tiny little triangles. those should be bigger and they should all be the same all the way across. we know the countertop is level so every one of of those cut triangles should be the same.

see how they are here?

this is a similar size to yours. look at this bottom row and then look at yours.

herringbone is the most difficult layout to master. he obviously doesn't know how to do it well.

This is how your bottom course of tile should look.

better shot of another one.

he seemed to do ok w/this wall. but since your other wall is not a true 45, the bottom row, and the other tiles, are going to shift.

Kristine thanked Beth H. :
  • Related Discussions

backsplash install help! is this acceptable?

Q

Comments (21)
    Please believe me, I'm not trying to excuse your tile guy, but is it possible that the sheets themselves had defects? Even so, like others above, I agree that the tile guy should have noticed and brought it up at the time. The longer they "cure" the harder they're going to be to remove and/or adjust. When is he coming back? Has he offered any other solution, other than it won't be visible when it's grouted? I hope he resolves this. These tiles are too gorgeous for you not to be happy with the finished product.
    ...See More

Where to center/start herringbone marble backsplash on prominent wall

Q

Comments (10)
    I think the installers questions/concerns are valid. The two most prominent focal points in the kitchen are that edge which tapers in a pencil, pictured below, and the center of the range. As you walk into the kitchen, both those spots are most visible. Centering on the window wall meant that the edge (circled) may have had tiny pieces, and this would look bad. So we started at that edge. Truly centering at the window doesn’t make sense for another reason- the center line has only about 6” of tileable space. It’s right over the faucet and barely visible. So starting in that edge area then meant that we couldn’t also continue the wraparound at that far corner (arrow) without compromising another prominent area- the area over the range. So there is going to have to be a compromise given the space. I don’t think it is as simple as start in one spot and wrap around. Had we started at the center line over the range and wrapped around to the adjacent wall, we would run the risk of having an awful edge by the pencil.
    ...See More

Crooked herringbone kitchen backsplash

Q

Comments (2)
    It doesn't look bad, I think it is something you have to decide if it would bother you. I thought I would show these photos to my husband and his response. "I could not deal with that. The tile would have to go or be redone." He is very picky, doesn't like clutter and movement. Now when I look at Houzz photos counter and backsplash corners, I note they don't always match. I think you have to decide what you like, the tile work looks well done. But I am not an expert. and sometimes they do
    ...See More

crooked cabinets on 100 year old home/ backsplash issue

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes I had a nightmare experience with the contractor who installed that window 5 years ago. Not experienced - so it may be actually the window was installed crooked. Or home depot who slapped these cabinets in did a crooked job, after reading the responses here I think I may lay it in thirds, to eliminate the seam at least that goes straight up the middle from a 50/50 pattern. That was what I originally had told them to do but they did this. So the seam falls right up the middle which looks dumb to me. Then I guess grout and put a vase in front of it. Thanks for your observations ❤️ will post a photo when done.
    ...See More
  • jpp221
    4 years ago

Well that’s just silly. Call him in just to slap him across the face before you fire him.

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Beth, I tried to use the grid on the camera to level bottom of countertop..

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

oh yes, you can see a definite slant.

it needs to redone. Have you spoken to him? Do NOT let him grout it.

read all the other things I wrote too and make sure he addresses those issues.

Make sure he uses the speed square when he tiles, to check as he goes.

how's the corner? I can barely see it. they almost looked matched up.

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think this is where the problem started. First tile was not installed straight:

Where walls meet:

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Glad you all feel the same way. Will bring this up with the contractor/tiler tomorrow to settle the rework. Ugh was just looking forward to be one step closer to a finished project.

• territheresa
    4 years ago

Acceptable?! HELL NO!

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. : That bookmatched corner. Wow! Will be using that to show him what I want when they reinstall the corner where the walls meet

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

There should be a grout line thickness space between the countertop and the bottom tile that is filled with color matched silicone, not grout.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

yeah, that's not a good match up. at all.

with herringbone, you don't start in the corner. you start on one wall, in the middle, and work your way out, and around to the other wall. This way you're assured of continual match ups and symmetrical bottoms, tops, and ends.

I can already tell you he did it incorrectly. see how the left side tiles don't match the right side ends? tiles are diff lengths. If you start correctly in the middle and work out, each side will be a mirror image.

if he did each wall independently, or started in the corner, he's a goof ball.

you need an experienced tile setter w/this design.

I did a herringbone floor, this is how we started (see the blue tape on the one piece? You have to get a 45 degree measurement of that, run two lines on the floor or on the wall, and carefully line up the 45 tape measurement) that's how you start a herringbone.

this way you get perfectly even sides. see how each end piece at the wall is the same size?

I also just did an inlay in my kitchen w/zellige tiles. Same thing. we carefully started dead center and measured off the first tile. worked outwards. perfectly symmetrical

• howistyle
    4 years ago

This is so interesting! Beth, when you install herringbone on two walls, do you start on the center of each wall? I love a herringbone pattern and suspected that it takes an experienced hand. This (unfortunately for the OP) is a great example of when/how things go wrong.

Were there 2 tile installers working independently? It seems very odd that one wall would be perfect and the other one 'off'...

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. :Thanks for the additional info. Will pass it along to the installer. i think this job can be saved by redoing the botched wall and starting with bookmatching the corner and ensuring a 45-degree angle.

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@howistyle There was only one installer. Clearly inexperienced with the pattern...maybe started feeling more comfortable with it on the second (straight) wall?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

hhowlett,,you could. It would take a lot of dry layout work to get both walls to match up perfectly though. I'd prob start on the most prominent wall, and then wrap the design around to the other wall (in her case, the sink wall) and just continue on w/the design. That would be the easiest and look the best. The far left end of the sink wall may not be a mirror image of the right side, but it should be close enough to work out ok.

Kristine, as a suggestion, I'd continue up to the ceiling. If you must stop where you have it, what are you using for the edging on top? a pencil liner? a Schluter metal edge is another alternative.

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. :Thought about going up the wall, but decided not to as the width on either side of the window is not the same. We used this metal edge piece:

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

UPDATE: Spoke with the contractor and tile setter this morning and they agreed it's off on the one side, but they don't know why or how to fix it. They say the tips of the tile are level, so they are worried if we take it all down on Wall 1 and reinstall the bottom row will be uneven.

HOW DO WE FIX THE INSTALLATION ON WALL 1?

• CEM TOSA
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

Not acceptable. It's a re-do. The points of the herringbone pattern should point straight up. Tell them to rip it out and the additional material is on them.

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think we figured out what went wrong:

• reno97
    4 years ago

Oooooo ... that would drive me bonkers. I'd ask them redo it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

they have to rip off the entire wall. they can't 'fix it'.

secondly,,,look at these pics.

This photos shows what most people do. its wrong. you'll end up w/different end cuts on the sides.

NOPE:

I marked on this one to show them how to start it. take a 45 degree measurement of the end of the tile using a speed square. now move that line over to the left on the center line. see my solid black line? that should be on the center line. The dotted line is where all the subsequent tiles will join the pattern.

the bottom row tile cuts should look like this.

he needs to find center on the wall and start like I showed, following this bottom line diagram. (he can stick in the triangles after he's done.

btw, on this photo I noticed a lot of mortar issues. he needs to do a better job at cleaning off the thinset. I can also see faint scratch lines he's causing when he's wiping it off.

Also, have you pre-sealed your marble?

he's using white thinset yes?

your grout should be unsanded. please make sure those tiles are sealed before grouting. That's why doing them first, before they go on the wall, is recommended. seal only the tops, not the sides

• Toni Hamlett
    4 years ago

Following

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sounds like they are willing to replace the crooked wall, just waiting to settle the details next week. They are receptive and we haven't paid a dime for the tile install and won't until we are happy.

@Beth H. : Thanks for your continued input! MATERIALS: Grout (Sanded/Unsanded? Not sure how that works), Mortar, Sealer (tile store said to seal before/after grout). REINSTALL: If they are only replacing Wall 1, where do you recommend they start: middle of wall or corner connecting two walls? I will be over his shoulder this next time around.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

always unsanded for marble. marble scratches like crazy, so he needs to be careful during the install portion and wiping away excess mortar. (Mortar, or the Thinset, will have course grains in it. It's not like the unsanded grout. So when he sets his tile and he has oozing up between the joints, he needs to be careful when wiping that off. that's how you get those fine swirls of scratches. If he's really good and uses the exact amount of thinset, he won't have oozing. and oozing, if not cleaned up correctly, will dry in those joints. Now when you go to grout, the grout won't be able to get all the way in, or you may see dried portions of the mortar peek through the grout. this is why those joints needs to be kept free and clean of any 'oozing' thinset. )

Verify that he's using White thinset. (like Versabond or something)

Sealer- for mine, I used Sealer Choice Gold. I gave each tile (front only) a wiping of the sealer before they went on the wall. it absorbs quickly, so I might have done 2-3 coats of sealer. Follow directions of whatever sealer you use. Once the tiles go on the wall, if they're sealed, it will be much easier to wipe away any mortar or grout residue.

If your tiles are honed, you have to make sure the sealer is OK for honed marble. some aren't.

these are two other brands that work well. read the label to make sure it fits your type of marble.

where should they start? Well, they are going to have to draw a bunch of lines if they want to make sure they line up correctly w/the corner of the other wall. Honestly, I'd be less concerned w/that since corners can be hidden.

This wall is a big focal point. I'd start center on this one. (which is to the left of the middle of the stove, yes?)

he should chalk off two parallel center lines (one for center, and one for where the 45 line of the tile you're using is (like shown above w/the tape marks)

then he should run a line horizontal that shows where he will join up w/the tiles in the corner.

Are those corner tiles at a tru 45? if so, it shouldn't be too hard to match them. if they are slightly off, then the 45 on the new wall won't match exactly. Running the horizontal lines will let him know that he's staying on track as he's working outward from the center.

I'd prob start center but work the first bottom row to the left to see how the match up looks.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Havent read all input...but i would question using the same installer again..you shouldn’t have the responsibility of training the installer...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

The installer may have legal rights to an attempt to make it right.

• eam44
    4 years ago

I got dizzy just looking at it. It’s a huge fail, so no, you’re not being too picky. I like your analysis of the error too. Best of luck getting it fixed.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Kristine:

Check your countertops for level. When they do the do-over, have them place a level continuous shim, maybe two pieces of plastic laminate, on the countertop. Lay the tile on top of the shim, grout, and pull the shim last. Fill the gap with color matched silicone.

Now you have the TCNA required caulk joint between plane changes which will look and perform well for decades or more instead of the nearly un-caulkable dirt catching joint you have now.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

To me the cabinets look crooked too ..perhaps another tile idea would be better ...?

• Kristine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your input! I will update once we get this all "straightened out" lol.

• vtlady52
    4 years ago

Kristine, I think there may be another issue: in your 3rd set of pictures, top picture, the 4th & 5th tile down from the stop line looks like they are either narrower on one end or slightly off-kilter. It is really hard to tell because it is out of alignment. I am glad that you are making them fix it. Horrible job. Sent someone who did not know what they were doing. Shame on them.

Beth, OMG. I learned so much about tiling this morning. Thank you so much for the indepth and easy to understand writeup! I am saving this as well as bookmarking. SO GOOD!

• User
    4 years ago

This problem is why math is important in everyday life. The base should be an isosceles right triangle. You all intuitively know it; now you know what it's called.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    4 years ago

Ugh, this is why, even though I'm a busy general contractor with a good team of subcontractors, I never let anyone do tile work but me. What is truly bizarre about this installation is how much extra "work" it would be to mess up an installation this badly. I've done loads of herringbone installations and you will know almost immediately if your first cuts (the ones abutting the counter) aren't 45 degrees. Because, if one side of the tile was cut accidentally at, say, 40 degrees, when you set up to cut the other angle you'd have to re-set the saw at 50 degrees to compensate. And the guy didn't notice this right away??? Like I can't even comprehend how this could happen. Look at the little triangular pieces, the smallest ones touching the counter, on the crooked wall. You can plainly see they aren't even close to being right triangles. How could you not catch on that something was f****d up when you saw that? And every single tile at the edges had to be deliberately cut with these stupid off-angles. Somebody had to work really hard to mess up that spectacularly.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    4 years ago

A couple of herringbones I've done...

• Lizzie Bennett
    4 years ago

I don't have anything of use to offer (and @Beth H. : is amazing!), but I just want to say that herringbone, done right, is absolutely dreamy. @Home Reborn - gorgeous work! I think I swooned a little...

• PRO
    GannonCo
    4 years ago

You have installers working with a product they dont understand it will be a fail the 2nd time around also. Probably offshore cheap marble and they are mounted different on every sheet.

Buying products that fits the projects budget is a key issue. People today see these pictures and the cheap kind of products and then dont understand why they dont look right.

Your installer has no idea how to install marble tile. The the will be stained and scratched when done besides the pattern. They have no clue how to wrap a herringbone pattern. I will wager that its premixed thniset and will easily pop right off.

I can bet that a REAL tile installer would be charging 2x's what your paying to install a marble backsplash. We haven't even gotten into the look one sheet is a different color deal yet. Every tile setter make your homeowners sign a waiver with marble.

Ask them if they want out of the job. Either buy a material on budget or within your installers range of ability or hire a real tile artisan and be ready to pay for quality work and product.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago

Any evidence this is a licensed tile contractor? If so maybe let them regroup and redo with their better skilled setter, but otherwise they're in over their heads & terminate without payment.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

In Florida, one of the most strict licensing states, tile setters and countertop and cabinet installers are specifically exempted from licensing law.

• PRO
  • Briana Murry
    3 years ago

How did it turn out? Did the contractor fix his mistake? Also, what tile is it that you used to create your herringbone. I love it

• jbtanyderi
    3 years ago

That’s bad: it needs to be redone.

• Kristine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The one wall of the backsplash has been redone see before and after pics. It's not perfect, but a lot better. Here are a few of my lessons learned:1) Make sure your GC is providing an actual tile setter not jack of all trades 2) Make sure they are experienced in the material and pattern by asking questions on how they will install 3) Ask to see examples of work in your desired pattern. I attached a few pics of the almost complete kitchen. Overall I feel like the backsplash turned out a bit busier than I anticipated and the tones are a bit cool for the countertop. If I had my time back I would've stuck with my initial choice of a simple handmade ceramic tile. Nonetheless I think it looks good and I am happy to be finally unpacking. Thank you all for your valued input. Cheers!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Kristine, that actually turned out very nice. I love it! ( I wish they would have used the busier replacement tiles off to the right instead of right over the stove) But I actually like the marble and the design you chose. Doing a white subway would have looked like every other white/gray kitchen

one caveat, your lights are hung a tad too high. 30-36" is usually the space from countertop to the bottom of the light.

• CEM TOSA
    3 years ago

It looks lovely. Enjoy your home.

• Toni Hamlett
    3 years ago

Much better, I so glad it worked out for you. You have a very nice kitchen, enjoy

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Love your counter tops...

• Melinda Brown
    3 years ago

What is the marble tile you used, and what size? Looks beautiful!