SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ned_b

Improving on a mature, but somewhat chaotic landscape

A Fox
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've created this post for guidance on a whole variety of dilemmas and questions that I have been dealing with at the house that we purchased a little over a year ago. As we have started to get a handle on renovations inside, we are starting to consider the exterior.

The previous owner had the house for 20 years, and I guess could be considered a hobby gardener. The house was on the market for 7 years, and in each set of listing photos the landscape is vastly different. Toward the last few years it seems like it may a little bit neglected and as we inherited it, it's a bit in disarray.

There's some great things going on and we don't want to get rid of all of it, but sometimes deciding what to keep and what to clear out and what to keep can be challenging when there is so much competing plant material and ideas. Our thought has been to sort of master plan an overall vision then take on measurable sections each year.

First, here are some recent overall photos around the house for reference:

As you see it's consistent theme is lots of green, with arborvitaes, yews, other evergreens, and lots of hostas being the main staple. There are typically at least a couple things in each area flowering at any time. The overall ideas seem good, but there are so many varieties of each thing, and the placement of things can be sort of random which results in the messy or cluttered look in some areas.

This was meant to be an introductory post to our landscape as a whole. In my next post I will get into one of our first areas of work.

Comments (17)