SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emma_hutsebaut

First time refinishing some furniture! Think I might need some help..

Emma Hutsebaut
4 years ago

Hey there!

I’ve always been super interested in restoring furniture, and right now due to the quarantine situation, I’ve got a lot of time on my hands.

I bought this dresser drawer second hand a few weeks ago. I love everything about it, the colour, the style and the shape. This is one of those pieces of furniture I plan on keeping my whole life. But the piece has seen a lot of wear and tear and some water damage. I wanted to do something about the water damage and read somewhere olive oil and vinegar would be good for this. It helped a bit, but made the wood darker and more orangey/yellow than I would’ve liked. Then I read somewhere that olive oil was a bad idea (due to it going rancid overtime), so I panic sanded the top and the first row of drawers which I had oiled so far in a dimly lit room late at night. This morning I woke up and wasn’t very happy with what I had done. I was happy with the new cleaner texture of the wood, but not the colour. (Also can someone confirm what type of wood this is? I’m guessing pine?)

So what I want to do now is (hand)sand down the entire piece and find the right finish to get it as close to the original colour/sheen as before. And that is where I hope you guys can help me!

Thank you!!

Before I did anything to it:

After oiling the top and top row of drawers with olive oil/vinegar

The damaged top before oiling

Halfway oiled

Damage on the drawers (no oiling)

The top and drawers after sanding this morning:

Comments (35)