Looks like the governor of Mississippi has decided lives do not count

maifleur03
SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

So he's tying the hands of local government too. What a jerk!

Save    
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Not only stupid, but criminally stupid.

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

I don’t quite see it that way.

The State has to supersede municipal governance in states of emergency. That restricts municipal governments from imposing rules that are stricter than the State’s rules, true, but importantly it also restricts municipalities from passing ordinances that are *less strict* than the State rules.

And it restricts other non-governmental governing boards from making a willy-nilly hodge-podge patchwork of rules. For example, in our professional lives we are governed by at least three separate boards that aren’t governmental. If they all come up with their own standards and regulations we might find some in conflict with others.

(As actually happened in our case. We sell at Farmers Markets. One of them closed. The other remained open. The municipality pulled the permit of the one that remained open. The province stepped in and reinstated it because the market is classified as a Food Access Point rather than a Special Event. The one that closed remains closed because it is held at a rec center, a building that is closed. Having the provincial oversight was protective for us because it meant the city couldn’t restrict our access to selling food and the community’s access to local food sources.)

Save    

So in the case of Florida, DeSantis can order Sarasota County to reopen its beaches?

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

The State has to supersede municipal governance in states of emergency.

iirc Los Angeles closed restaurants except for pick-up/take out with the State of California only requiring social distancing in restaurants.

Edited to add: In the SF Bay Area five counties issued shelter-in-place orders before the State did.

Save    
maifleur03

I had a couple of thoughts about this while lopping up some stuff.

1. He was the sacrificial canary for something that WDC wants to do as a test case.

2. He has received the information from WDC and released it before they gave the go ahead.

Yes, I have read too many books where both things have happened both good and bad.

Save    
mr1010

Similarly in Florida, after 1,000's of Day Cares shut down from fear and stay in place orders from their town or county, Gov. DeSantis urged day cares to re-open to help out working parents. He needs a brain transplant.

Save    

The more I think about this, the more I wonder if the governor really has the power to enforce this. Usually the way it works is that local municipalities cannot be less strict than the state government but they usually can be more strict. In hurricanes, the governor makes speeches but we are always told to listen to the local authorities. What MS is doing just doesn't seem kosher.

Save    
maifleur03

The not seeming kosher is why I think as I did above.

Save    
blfenton

Do the municipalities have the ability to declare a state of emergency or is it only the State that can do so.

Save    
maifleur03

Normally for illnesses the Health Departments are the ones that declare a state of emergency with elected people relaying the message. So even a local health department can issue one. Most of the local officials at least here talked to the health department before issuing a cooperative message.

1 Like Save    
mr1010

So in the case of Florida, DeSantis can order Sarasota County to reopen its beaches?

Don't believe so. Usually local authorities have jurisdiction. DeSantis tried to take credit for closing some Broward and Miami-Dade beaches, but their local newspapers said the local authorities did it, not DeSantis.

Save    
blfenton

maifluer - that's what happened here, We had a health emergency declared by our Provincial Health Officer before a provincial state of emergency declared by our Premier.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides 10 Must-Haves for a Lovingly Lived-In Look
Decorative elements such as collectibles, throw pillows and rugs will help create a home that’s undeniably yours
Full Story
Furniture Objects of Desire: Recliners That Don’t Look Like Recliners
Forget bulky, hulky eyesores. These 7 smart and svelte chairs — some without levers — have mastered the art of disguise
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Past Lives Peek Through a New Kentucky Kitchen
Converted during Prohibition, this Louisville home has a history — and its share of secrets. See how the renovated kitchen makes use of them
Full Story