SaveComment42Like
Comments (42)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

He’s got my vote!

3 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

A few questions. Is it too late for anyone to enter into the race? When is the deadline?

Save     Thanked by Lisa
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

There would be some poetic justice to that -

A New Yorker destroyed the government and so it would be nice for a New Yorker to bring it back.

Save    
paprikash

Trump didn’t destroy the government. More fake news

3 Likes Save    
Toby

Biden could drop out.

Save    
lurker111

I doubt that biden will be able to remember his own name in November.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Isn't Cuomo kind of busy right now?

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I just sent the link to the DNC.

Save    
Toby

Is there any better test of qualifications than how one performs in a pandemic? Campaigning, rallies, debates, and ads aren't going to matter much here on out.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Isn't Cuomo kind of busy right now?

Cuomo is extremely busy right now, and it looks to me like he's doing a pretty good job, overall, although I don't agree with all of his comments.

It's the very fact that he's being extremely busy, in front of the country, on televised daily pressers, making executive decisions and managing a crisis, make him an obvious consideration (I think) as a replacement for Biden, who is falling apart.

But I don't know how the Dems pull off inserting somebody into the race who hasn't participated in the primaries. How would they do that?

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I don't see how he could enter the race even if he wanted to . I think he wants to see NY through this...maybe 2024.

1 Like Save    
Toby

Vice President.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

I think he has to pick a female.

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

No and no. I don't understand the fickles chasing the flavor of the day. Or someone pretending they are doing so. Some columnist has a job that requires them to write something. Ta-da!

1 Like Save    
Lisa

Are we in the same situation that the dems were in 1944? Choose VP very carefully. Old sick presidents do not always survive their term.

Save    
Toby

We allowed the Republicans to pick our nominee because we hope they'll vote for him in the fall. It's no way to pick a president.

1 Like Save    
Cindy Outter

It's the very fact that he's being extremely busy, in front of the country, on televised daily pressers, making executive decisions and managing a crisis, make him an obvious consideration (I think) as a replacement for Trump.

Save    
patriceny

I live in NY and am very familiar with Cuomo. I don't like him, at all. I'm not even uniformly thrilled with his response to this crisis.

One of his special little decrees said all nonessential government and municipal employees just get to go home on a fully paid vacation. Well isn't that special. I feel really good about giving extremely well-paid people a fully paid vacation on the tax payer's dime while the rest of the world figures out how to get through this.

Here's a thought - how about doing what every other large business is doing -
figure out how to keep the lights on with remote work? Rotate shifts, rotate days so there are less people around at any given time?

Nope. Just go home and don't worry about it, NYS tax payers will pay your salary.

Small businesses are shutting their doors, waitresses are either being sent home or only working the take-out window, so say goodbye to those tips you lived on! No one is sending any of those places home with a fully paid vacation.

So how about our brilliant governor uses his head to come up with something other than just throwing away taxpayer dollars.

Highway department is closed here. CLOSED. Everyone is home on vacation.

What they are normally working on this time of year is pot holes and ditching. All the ditches along the roadways are clogged with debris. Snow traps leaves/branches/whatnot in ditches, so it all needs to be cleaned out so that when monsoon season arrives the water all flows downhill to the lake like it's supposed to.

Ditching isn't getting done. It still needs to be done. So either they will start working OVERTIME to catch up when they come back to work, OR we will get a heavy rain first and people will flood.

Farmers are still out working. Big businesses are figuring out how to stay in business, and we're all still working. Insurance companies haven't missed a beat, they're been going to remote work at home anyway. Walmart, Target, Amazon - they're making money like never before. This is brutal for small businesses and most of the service industry so we as a nation need to be focused on helping those people who can't work from home and/or are out of work b/c of this situation.

What we DO NOT NEED TO DO is give New York's hundreds of thousands of municipal employees a paid vacation! Rotate shifts. Let half the people work one day, half the next. Enforce our new favorite term of social distancing. We need to be smart, to adapt and figure it out - but to the extent possible and safe, the world needs to go on.

At least here in NY, it is utterly appalling how much money state government wastes on stupidity like this. You just wait and see, Cuomo is going to be patting himself on the back here once everything starts returning to normal. Then the OT payroll costs are going to spike, and he's going to be all, well - covid-19 you know. NO you special little man - YOU caused the need for OT

So yeah, I'm not a huge Cuomo fan.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Lisa
cattyles

Toby, if Republicans would have picked our candidate it would be Sanders. Trump got himself impeached trying not to run against Biden. I understand your point but some Dems would rather have a moderate. Progress will happen. It has never been stopped.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

I should have said Never-Trumpers and moderate Republicans who don't want Trump to have another term. That's 10% of the GOP who we catered to when we voted in the primaries, plus right-leaning Independents. There are actually more left-leaning Independents than right-leaning.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I'm also impressed with the Cuomo I see daily on TV, but as far as having him replace Biden (even if there were an acceptable way to accomplish that), I seem to remember that Cuomo's name came up more than once back before the primaries even began, and it was pointed out that he has something in his past that precludes him from running.

However, I remember no details, so can offer no explanations.

But maybe, given our current crisis, the public will no longer care about whatever that earlier impediment was?

Kate

Save    
foodonastump

Patriceny- Could you cite some governmental resources to support your post? I’m finding “similar” information but not quite.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

No a person does not need to be on a primary ballot to be selected to run for President. It has happened in the past where no one had enough votes at the convention that an outsider was selected.

Save    
patriceny

FOAS - what specifically are you looking for? I wrote my post based on my first hand knowledge. My spouse is one of said municipal employees. He has people who work for him who are considered essential and non-essential.

The nonessential people are now home on a really nice paid leave until Cuomo gets his head out of his wherever and reopens the state government.

The essential people who are still working are getting their regular wages, while watching the office and admin staff post on Facebook all day from the comforts of their home. That's creating a really nice morale problem, by the way. Yes, we need you so much you still have to work. Meanwhile the people in administration who make way more than the "essential" people do are on vacation, thanks to my tax dollars.

So tell me again how awesome Cuomo is?

Save    
althea_gw

Bernie instead of Biden.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"No and no. I don't understand the fickles chasing the flavor of the day."

I think this makes sense. A lot of votes have been placed in a lot of primaries. I think the chaos of suddenly saying "never mind" to all those voters would create more harm than good. The more the process is taken out of voters hands and controlled by the DNC, the establishment, superdelegates, etc. - the worse the look. Voters are supposed to decide elections and many voters take the process and their vote very seriously, which they should.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Patrice what I read - could be outdated and that’s why I’m asking - is that it’s two weeks paid for people who are told they can’t work. And that others are being told to work from home.

Save    
patriceny

FOAS, that is the new paid sick leave bill he pushed through. That applies to most employers in NYS.

I'm talking about what he did for municipal and state employees. All employees designated as nonessential (basically everyone in an office, state parks, highway and DOT, most DEC, most court system employees) are home on paid leave until he gives the all clear. He was very magnanimous with tax dollars.

The only state employees still working are essential. Police, public utilities, some DSS, that sort of thing.

How is it fair that the people still working are making their regular wages only, while the better paid administrators are also getting regular full pay to sit at home? We have thousands of state employees who will end up getting a fully paid leave for weeks or months. We know several who have left for vacations or their second homes while collecting their full regular pay. So they're saving vacation time to use later. Awesome! :-/

I totally get de-densify. So tell office people they have to do the best they can from home. Make it look like you're trying to be sensitive to costs anyway. Nope. Just go home on full pay!

Is he better than Biden? I don't know, I'm not a Democrat so I guess my opinion doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. What he is, IMO of course, is the epitome of what's wrong with the entire party. Very quick to give away tax dollars without trying at all to come up with more sensible solutions.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

Patricency, how is the morale in your husband’s office the fault of the governor? Managers are paid to manage that stuff.

Save    
cattyles

If it’s just watching an office can’t people trade out who stays home and who doesn’t? But it wasn’t done just for the hell of it by Cuomo.

Save    
barncatz

I think those are excellent points, Ann. Think about all the South Carolina voters, just as one example of a group that made their votes count after watching a lot of good candidates for a long time, being told "never mind", Cuomo has charts!!

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Barncatz, what does "Cuomo has charts" mean?

Save    
Ann

Coronavirus in New York charts? Just taking a wild guess.

Save    
heri_cles

The situation we are in right now may indeed influence Biden in his selection of a VP, .....if Biden beats Bernie. We will need more government involvement in keeping this ship from sinking in the next year or two, and will need more than 1,200 bucks a piece.

By the way, I will gladly pay my $1,200 into an R&D fund to find a vaccine.

Also the health of Klobichar's husband and the questions about her angry temperament might make Biden think twice about putting her on the ticket.

Full disclosure - I don't like Klobuchar, but I'd be fine with Mayor Cuomo or Senators Warren or Harris as a VP nominee.

Save    
Lisa

it's Governor Cuomo.

2 Likes Save    
barncatz

Oh, Ann, yeah - I was being a bit tongue in cheek and using that as shorthand for the current Cuomo buzz. I have also been impressed with Cuomo (and his power point graphics) but still agree with your point.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

The other point I wanted to make, but forgot, is I think there would be a look of such serious disarray if the Dems (the ones with influence) suddenly moved Biden "out of the way" after so recently "choosing" him when they became concerned about Bernie being too far left for the general election. I think it would look like far too much tinkering and far too much indecision (which might be viewed as a lot of nervousness). It would be like "fickles chasing the flavor of the day".

4 Likes Save    
patriceny

100% agree Ann.

2 Likes Save    
lakeaffect

patriceny, I'm a non-essential NYS employee of the SUNY system. I've been online since 7:30 am, working on my state issued desktop that I was given permission to take home, as were all of the employees of my college, because we needed to facilitate work getting done, and it ain't no fun conducting business on your personal laptop. I've been drafting documents, holding virtual meetings with my team, preparing press releases, approving documents in the system and otherwise conducting the work of our college, as have my 200+- colleagues. My job has me in contact with many folks throughout the SUNY and SUNYRF network as well as the alphabet soup of NYS agencies and everyone I've spoken with or corresponded with is working remotely. I'm in NNY, and obviously don't know your husband's circumstances, but please know that in my world, the state workers are working remotely and doing our jobs.

4 Likes Save    
Ann

Heri, the good news is Klobuchar's husband is doing well and has been released from the hospital. Hopefully, in a week or so, his specific bout with the virus will be a thing of his and her past.

2 Likes Save    
patriceny

Glad to hear it lakeaffect. SUNY is its own separate little world... :)

Save    
heri_cles

the good news is Klobuchar's husband is doing well and has been released from the hospital.

Great. I still dislike her because of her angry temperament.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular New Ways to Think About All That Mulch in the Garden
Before you go making a mountain out of a mulch hill, learn the facts about what your plants and soil really want
Full Story
Bathtubs Dreaming of a Spa Tub at Home? Read This Pro Advice First
By JW
Before you float away on visions of jets and bubbles and the steamiest water around, consider these very real spa tub issues
Full Story
Small Spaces 9 Big Space-Saving Ideas for Tiny Bathrooms
Look to these layouts and features to fit everything you need in the bath without feeling crammed in
Full Story