Gun sales soar like never before

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Apparently, people are expecting the Apocalypse.

Gun shop owners have never seen such a surge in sales — not after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, not in reaction to mass shootings, not even when Category 5 hurricanes threatened to flatten South Florida.

Fear and uncertainty about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic are motivating people to buy guns and ammunition as they seek protection from possible doomsday disintegration into lawlessness, with home invasions, looting, runs on banks, and fights over food, medicine, hospital beds and shelter across the land. Link

SaveComment67Like
Comments (67)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Gun purchases motivated by fear - now there's something different.

Save    
Stan Areted

Embothrium

Gun purchases motivated by fear - now there's something different.

Motivated by awareness of mobs breaking glass and storefronts and looting because Hillary Clinton was defeated for president.

Motivated by awareness of mobs jumping on cars and breaking glass and storefronts and looting in Baltimore when mayor and police allowed them to do it, deciding to "stand down."

Motivated by threats of violence from popular, wildly wealthy celebrities with a microphone to tell the world they have "thoughts of blowing up the White House," and that the President's son should be taken from his mother and placed in a cage?

Motivated by a large contingent of the population without an education or desire to work, all thanks to liberal policies of no failing in school and subsidizing sloth and drug addiction with monthly payments?

Motivated by a large contingent of the population that have been told they are victims and that people that own businesses and corporations are evil and the reason you're not wealthy yourself?

Ya think?

There are people that don't even need to be desperate for toilet paper or paper plates or hot pockets to begin this behavior--they only need to know they have been given a pass, as in other states where certain crimes have been allowed without arrests. There are people that have been primed and the democrats are about ready to unleash them onto society.

All planned, all ready to not waste a crisis.

The people you see now wanting guns are light years behind those that have seen the liberal agenda and end game for a long time.

6 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Nearly half of our school district gets free/reduced lunch. Think the parents have salaried work from home jobs? Think they’ve got savings to dip into? Think they’re going to sit idly when they get hungry? You think I’m going to sit back and watch, if someone comes to take my family’s food?

6 Likes Save    
Toby

Theft, burglary, prostitution, stolen automobiles, vandalism, and
certain economic crimes will no longer automatically result in
detention.

In which state is it legal to use lethal force to protect your property? Vandalism? You gonna kill someone for tagging your fence? The person who'd kill over property shouldn't have owned a gun in the first place.

Save    
shead

Stan, you should add:

Motivated by the knowledge that those who have no survival skills (no stocked freezers, no savings, no hunting or fishing skills, etc.) and no preparation for “rainy days” will be the first ones feeling entitled to the fruits of the labor of those that do. We have started locking our deep freezers full of beef in our shop and have stocked up on ammo because when people are desperate enough, they will feel entitled to ours and everyone else’s like us.

4 Likes Save    
Toby

You gonna shoot them over a chuck roast? How far are you willing to go to protect your freezer?

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Locally we are having appeals for donations to food banks. Are people envisioning a complete societal breakdown?

If so, following John Dillinger's explanation of his choice of targets, hungry people are going to go to supermarkets and grocery stores -- where the food is.

Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Despite fears that a spreading outbreak could lead to lawlessness, the Philadelphia Police Department painted a completely different picture on Wednesday.

According to police, over the past month, crime has dropped to some of the lowest levels seen in years, making a sharp turn from the deadly start to 2020.

On Wednesday, police announced violent crime is down 6%. Property crime is down 14%.

But officials say not all crime is down. The number of shooting victims is up 22%, but all of this data taken over the past month is an improvement from the violent first few months of the year.

https://6abc.com/6050463/

1 Like Save    
blfenton

Gotta protect that cache of toilet paper.

1 Like Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

Since this all began, I've kept up with all the news possible via the Internet --- all the facts, all the opinions, everything. The two words I've heard that struck the most fear in me were not "global pandemic" or "hospital shortages" or "death panels" or all the others. They were "civil unrest". Scares the bejeezus out of me --- and I'm not afraid to admit it.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

What sort of civil unrest and over what? I can see civil unrest in homes but isn't everyone supposed to be at home. Just wondering.

Save    
lurker111

We had 7 homicides last year. 1 gun death, 5 in a fire, and they didn't mention how the other one died. (Cops?) We had 6 in 2018, no details. My guns are put away, and have been for years. I might have to get one ready.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

In which state is it legal to use lethal force to protect your
property? Vandalism? You gonna kill someone for tagging your fence? The
person who'd kill over property shouldn't have owned a gun in the first
place.

Go get yourself a nice new car, Toby.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

You gonna shoot them over a chuck roast?

“Excuse me sir, have you broken into my house in hopes of raping my daughter, or stealing my food? Oh, just one chuck roast? Here, let me give you a hand.”

That’s not how I envision it going down.

No, I’m not expecting or prepared for a total breakdown of society. My food reserves can be measured in weeks, not months. Same for toilet paper. I have some basic medicine in case we get sick. I’ve also got disinfecting wipes and hopefully enough soap. I have some basic means to protect all of the above should someone decide they want it more than I do. More of all of the above than before this specific threat emerged. It’s called being prepared.

4 Likes Save    
shead

You gonna shoot them over a chuck roast? How far are you willing to go to protect your freezer?

I'd shoot for far less....not necessarily to kill but definitely to scare.....lol. J/K. Unfortunately, we've already used all our chuck roasts but we have a lot of ground beef, ribeyes, and filets at the moment :)

Many states do have laws stating that deadly force can be used in order to protect livestock. We have over 500 head of cattle on our farm and we would most certainly protect it if needed. I certainly don't think it would come to that, but I'm not leaving an open door policy on my freezers for my welfare neighbors down the road to raid whenever they feel like it in the middle of the night simply because all the local groceries have no beef in their meat coolers.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

In which state is it legal to use lethal force to protect your
property?

Texas, if you feel like you're in danger. This includes car jacking. If someone broke into my house, I would feel like I was in danger.

3 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

It's almost April. L.A. wants to keep people on lock down for 2 months and others will follow (because Trump says the opposite). It's a joke to think that the Bloods and Crips, every other drug dealer and gang banger and cartel criminals will be following the lock down order. Every inner city is going to see revolts in that amount of time and then what? Are the same cops who have been getting pelted with buckets and bottles going to stop them?

This is a Leftist disaster in the making.

2 Likes Save    
dirtygert(5-NY)

I'm thinking of the civil unrest being spoken about here --- people arming themselves to either protect their supplies or to force someone else to relinquish their supplies. I only read/heard the term once in my forays (thank God). As far-fetched as it may seem to those of us who wouldn't even consider behavior like that --- even if we were starving --- others may not share our make-up. Look at the me-me-me attitude of the people who will not inconvenience themselves to stay home for 2 weeks for the good of society. How will people with that in their DNA act when push comes to shove. There's a reason that some closed shops have boarded up their storefronts.

Again, blfenton, many can't even conceptualize this --- primarily because they don't own that behavior themselves --- but I think it's real possibility. The SHTF crowd has been preparing for an Apocalypse like this forever. This may be a chance for them to find out if all their OPSEC preps were spot-on.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

I'm pretty sure it's the stay-at-home folks who are getting the guns.

It's the criminals who are going to be out and about before too long. Only a matter of time.

3 Likes Save    
Toby

Go get yourself a nice new car, Toby.

Thanks. I have theft insurance.

Save    

L.A. wants to keep people on lock down for 2 months and others will follow (because Trump says the opposite).

No, shelter-in-place continues because this is what the health experts are saying.

Governors Inslee and Newsom were ahead of Trump in assessing the dangers to the public.

It's a joke to think that the Bloods and Crips

Woo-hoo, a not very subtle dog whistle!

And no mention of MS-13?

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

“Leftist-run cities and towns all over America are increasingly announcing that they will not be arresting anyone for things like theft and robbery. Here's what you can do in Philly and get away with:”

Got any sources to back this up?

Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

Joanie, if you go to the link I posted above, you'll see what's actually happening:

During a news conference earlier this month, Commissioner Danielle Outlaw addressed the new protocol.

"Persons who commit certain nonviolent offenses will be arrested at the scene. Once their identity has been confirmed, they will be released and processed via arrest warrant," Outlaw said.

According to Outlaw, this is similar to the 'summons process' that is utilized in many other counties throughout the Commonwealth.

She explained if the officer and supervisor believe the individual poses a threat to public safety, the suspect can be taken into custody for immediate processing.

"Officers will use discretion on how a person is processed," she said.

1 Like Save    
chisue

Now I see why some states closed the liquor stores. Sort of the right idea, but maybe ammo stores would be a better choice.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Well I’ll just say that my feelings on gun control never included disallowing vetted citizens from having the ability to protect their homes. These reactions are silly. When you perceive an increased risk, it’s natural to take precautions. It doesn’t take much paranoia to think that sudden mass unemployment may lead to increased theft.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Got any sources to back this up?

It's all over the news. There are videos of people raiding the shelves and walking out.

1 Like Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

lurker, I live in the Philadelphia area, and just looked at four of our local news websites (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox)...they had nothing about this. Can you provide a link?

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

I’d just like to highlight Nancy’s statement above...

hungry people are going to go to supermarkets and grocery stores -- where the food is.

She’s the voice of reason.

Seriously? People coming for your freezer stash?

The paranoia in this thread astounds me.

4 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I’d expect people to go to the grocery store for food as long as they have money. Whether they come to my house for food or to take things that they can exchange for money/food doesn’t make much difference.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Probably some of those extremists/far-right sources, bookwoman. These hysterical types just love the sensationalism and hyperbole of those kinds of sites.

Kate

ETA: Or they have been immersed in episodes of 'Fear of the Walking Dead' for so long that they are having trouble separating fiction (movies/TV shows) from reality.

Save    
Stan Areted

TOBY

Are you so naive as to think they'll only come empty your deep freeze and liberate a roast? Everyone I know that owns guns would gladly give or share a roast or anything and give it up themselves to help children or the elderly or someone that has absolutely nothing from no fault of their own.

If someone comes to rob you, they will kill you, and they'll take your roast, take your money, your vehicle, and just for fun, your sneakers, your electronics and your LIFE on the way out.

What they really will want is your money or anything of value, not because they won't be getting "guvmint checks" still, but because they sniff a weakness and a weak government that already announces to the public they aren't going to detain them, look for them, or hold them accountable in a crisis.

Your soap and Clorox are probably safe because they're too stupid to know to use it.

Yes, shead, yours is a great addition!

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Nah Rush prefers pills.

Save    

I’d expect people to go to the grocery store for food as long as they have money.

Didn't understand the reference to John Dillinger?

Grocery stores and supermarkets will be the targets of robberies because for sure there is food there.

A random house in suburbia? Who knows, and why bother when there are surer targets.

During the civil unrest after the verdict absolving the L.A. cops from beating Rodney King within an inch of his life, markets were looted -- food, diapers, water, etc. -- and homes left alone.

Save    
war garden

pretty boy floyd was asked why he robbed banks

he responded " that is where the money is!"

Save    
lurker111

Can you provide a link?

It was on the news last night. They showed a man and a woman stuffing their bags and grabbing more stuff on the way out. An employee just stood there and watched.

Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

On which news? If you tell me a channel, I can search for the story.

Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

"For health and safety reasons, we'll be transitioning to cyber crime."

4 Likes Save    
shead

This thread truly shows that some people are out of touch with what life is like outside their urban bubble. They truly don't realize that some people live in areas of the country where towns only have 1-2 grocery stores or that some people have to drive very long distances to even get to groceries or a hospital. These things make some people desperate and make others feel protective of what they have. It also might make others covet what their neighbors have in times where things are desperate (unemployment, etc.). Some will always call owning guns paranoia, but it's also called preparedness.

Some good quotes from the article:

“Look, to me, a gun is a tool like a fire extinguisher. I’d rather have it than not,” he said. “It gives you a sense of security if the world goes south, sideways, or very bad.”..............

“In case of an intruder, if they even hear the sound of the gun racking, they’ll run. But remember, these scenarios don’t play out 99.9 percent of the time...............

“The women and the elderly are tired of being victims, and afraid of getting robbed at the ATM or scammed at home,” ...................

“We don’t know where the virus will lead and we don’t know if we’ll be able to depend on our law enforcement officers to respond,” Berrane said Tuesday, monitoring the line outside his Doral store. “People want to be more self-reliant.”............[emphasis mine]

1 Like Save    

They truly don't realize that some people live in areas of the country where towns only have 1-2 grocery stores or that some people have to drive very long distances to even get to groceries or a hospital.

In this very thread one of the rationales given for the gun purchases was the unrest that would inevitably be coming in the inner cities as the shelter-in-place orders continue. See above.

One photo of a long line in front of a gun store was taken in Culver City -- no one's idea of a rural community.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

During the civil unrest after the verdict absolving the L.A. cops from beating Rodney King within an inch of his life, markets were looted -- food, diapers, water, etc. -- and homes left alone.

Entirely different circumstances. Entirely. Were the looters there, or more recently in Ferguson amongst other places due to sudden mass unemployment, lack of money?

Who knows, and why bother when there are surer targets.

Yeah, surer to have cops pouring in from all sides within a minute or two.

Save    
shead

The point is that there are MANY different rationales for increased gun purchases, That doesn't necessarily mean that they are all fueled by paranoia, just being prepared and wanting to be more self-reliant (as the interviewee clearly noted in his interview).

Save    
Ann

I saw a Walgreens store video on TV yesterday. A guy was simply loading up on whatever he wanted while the employees had no choice but to stand by and watch. Then, he just walked right out. With new coronavirus rules on what crimes can't result in arrest right now, there wasn't a thing they could do. Amazing to me!

I can completely understand increased gun ownership as people who feel like FOAS described - not wanting one's home to be turned into that free for all Walgreens.

Save    
Ann

Reading more of this thread, it appears Lurker may have seen the same store video, but I can't find the original comment about it (did someone report that?). I just see Lurker's responses. I most definitely saw this video on last night's news.

1 Like Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

Thanks, Ann. That gave me something to go on and it turns out that incident took place in San Francisco on February 29th.

The police were called and officers responded to the drugstore, but the San Francisco PD said the thieves had already fled.

California’s passing of Proposition 47 in 2014, which made nonviolent offenses such as shoplifting misdemeanors instead of felonies, has been blamed for the surge in retail theft in recent years.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/news/video-looters-ransack-walgreens-shelves-as-employees-watch-helplessly-iJz8GzN9BEqlnofG7ymsag

So then I investigated further:

In early March 2020, a number of social media users posted a video of a genuine shoplifting incident in San Francisco, California, along with commentary that the incident was evidence of “radical left” leadership that led to lenient policies that were responsible for the crime.

Specifically, some claimed the crime was the result of some unspecified “no arrest” policy in the city of San Francisco. Others stated the incident was the upshot of California Proposition 47, a 2014 ballot measure that, among other reforms, created a new penal code for shoplifting that didn’t exist before, classifying it as a misdemeanor if the dollar amount stolen was less than $950.

Both claims are false.

We contacted the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD), and a spokesman there said the shoplifting incident was real and occurred about 1 p.m. on Feb. 29, 2020. Employees at the Walgreens drugstore where it occurred told police that three females, possibly minors, took “several cosmetic items,” then fled before police arrived. The investigation remains open and no arrests have been made.

San Francisco Police Officer Robert Rueca said that SFPD doesn’t have a “no arrest” policy. “If we have the probable cause to believe that someone has committed a crime, we will arrest the suspects and present that case to the District Attorney,” Rueca said in an email to Snopes.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/san-francisco-shoplifting-video/

2 Likes Save    

Were the looters there . . . due to sudden mass unemployment, lack of money?

There was high unemployment in the areas with the most looting. A number of manufacturers had moved to China, and left communities with a lack of jobs paying livable wages. White, brown, and black Angelenos were arrested -- more Latinos than any other group.

Save    

Deja vu: LA County sheriff closes gun shops again

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/deja-vu-la-county-sheriff-closes-gun-shops-69822931

LOS ANGELES -- For the second time this week, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva has ordered gun shops to close, a move that challenges the county legal counsel's finding that the stores are essential businesses that should remain open during the coronavirus crisis.

Los Angeles County, the nation’s most populous with 10 million residents, enacted a stay-at-home order last week that required all nonessential businesses to close to slow the spread of the virus.

On Tuesday, Villanueva ordered the shops closed. Panic-buying that produced long lines at the shops was worrisome from a public safety standpoint, he said.

Save    
foodonastump

Again, I just don’t get why this is upsetting anyone. I’m inland on Long Island so it would probably be weird to have a stock of plywood for the windows in case there’s a hurricane, but so what if I do? If I need it someday I have it, great. Preppers have been the butt of jokes for years but I’m guessing a good amount of them aren’t struggling with the decision of whether or not to go food shopping. So I’ve got a gun and a few rounds. Not like I’m stockpiling for the next civil war. Not trying to carry it around. Just have it ready at home, just in case. God willing I’ll never need it. But if I do, I’ll be thankful I have it. No big deal.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Bookwoman

That blue lives matter video isn't the one I saw. It was on FOX, last night. Probably after 5pm and before 10. CNBC is the only other station I watch and I doubt it was on there.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

As far as shoplifters/thieves taking items off the shelves and walking out without paying and no one stopping them, do you really think the minimum wage employee is going to risk his/her life by physically tackling the thieves? What if the thief has conceal/carry--and whips out his/her gun, aiming at the underpaid cash register guy? You expect heroics?

Don't know about where some of you live, but in my region of the country, employees are instructed to NOT stop thieves. Notify the police and let them handle the robbery. Don't risk getting yourself hurt!

Kate

Save    
foodonastump

There was high unemployment in the areas with the most looting. A number of manufacturers had moved to China, and left communities with a lack of jobs paying livable wages. White, brown, and black Angelenos were arrested -- more Latinos than any other group.

Fine but they were protesting social justice not suddenly desperate to put food in their mouths that day.

Save    

they were protesting social justice

The civil unrest in Los Angeles was about many issues, and the protests about the verdict were overwhelmed within a few hours.

Are there not food banks in your area? Churches and synagogues helping the poor? No resources for the poor?

Do you really expect that there will be a break down of law?

More likely one would be mugged for the cash than a home break in for food.

Save    
lurker111

do you really think the minimum wage employee is going to risk his/her life by physically tackling the thieves?

No. I also don't expect the store to stay open after it gets hit a few more times.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

White, brown, and black Angelenos were arrested -- more Latinos than any other group.

I assume that was because there were more Latinos involved that any other of your pigeon-hole categories ^^^. Why point it out?

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Are there not food banks in your area? Churches and synagogues helping the poor? No resources for the poor?

There are. But even if they are able to feed every new hungry person, there’s more that needs money. Rent and utilities don’t get handed out, to start. What percentage of your budget is food? Small, for me.

Do you really expect that there will be a break down of law?

I don’t expect it and I wouldn’t be prepared for such an extreme.

I also bought canned shrimp. I never buy that but thought I could keep some on hand for quite a while, to make something tasty should the need arise. i also have a few cans of propane for a camp burner in case my LP runs low and there’s a delay in delivery. Do you take issue with that, too? Is preparation for unlikely events generally distasteful to you? Or is it just break-ins that you’d prefer me not to be prepared for?

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

foodonastump

You gonna shoot them over a chuck roast?

“Excuse me sir, have you broken into my house in hopes of raping my daughter, or stealing my food? Oh, just one chuck roast? Here, let me give you a hand.”

That’s not how I envision it going down.

ROFL... food you can be funny!!

5 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

Around the world, different countries are deploying the army to help enforce law and order, take temperatures, check travellers papers etc.

Currently here they are making masks alongside civilians in a factory.

Save    
Lars(Z11a, Sunset 24)

I haven't read this, but I would say that gun stores and ammo stores should all be shut down during this crisis. I'm sure that violent people already have enough ammo to get them through this, and it does not need to be amplified. Now if cannabis were available nationwide, then perhaps people could calm down a bit.

2 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Lars - The voice of wisdom.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

I'm sure that violent people already have enough ammo to get them through this, and it does not need to be amplified.

Yes, I am sure the violent people do, NOW, what about the non-violent people who want to protect their families and property?

Why do some people want to protect the violent?

3 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Some stock up on weapons of death skeered someone will take their stuff ....

.... others are reaching out to help their neighbors whether with food/medicines or a small seed of hope.

Local woman delivers seed starter kits to her friends and neighbors (Source: Fox8News)

Save    
ohiomom

"We have food. That's what we can do. That's what we can offer"

Businesses, volunteers helping during pandemic.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/akron-canton-news/green-together-businesses-volunteers-helping-during-pandemic

Save    
lurker111

Local woman delivers seed starter kits to her friends and neighbors

I bet she owns a gun, or has one in her home.^^^

Save    
lurker111

I think I'm going to shop for a new gun or 3. My Glock is 25 years old and hasn't been fired or cleaned in 25 years. It's in rough shape, and my Sigma is a better gun, anyway. I'm not happy with what I have. Thinking about an AR-15 and a couple of H&K pistols.

Save    
heri_cles

Trump appears to be losing control of his people.

Save    
ohiomom

Save    
lurker111

Control? lol

Save    
lakeaffect

It was Willie Horton who said (and I'm paraphrasing) "I rob banks cuz that's where the money is", Pretty Boy Floyd was a boxer, not a crook, well, maybe he was a crook too, but he's mainly known as as a boxer.

And we are a long way from the kind of civil unrest that ends up in armed robbery for your freezer contents. The regressives just love to talk about their hero and/or last person standing fantasies, IMO they fantasize these confrontation with the "others", just so they can play big deal in their minds. Reality would surely be much different than them adroitly handling the situation.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Farm Your Yard Patio-Perfect Berry Bushes Like You’ve Never Seen
Small enough for pots but offering abundant fruit, these remarkable bred berries are a boon for gardeners short on space
Full Story
Most Popular Fix It or Not? What to Ask When Prepping Your Home for Sale
Find out whether a repair is worth making before you put your house on the market
Full Story
Before and Afters Before and After: 63-Square-Foot Bath With a Space-Saving Design
A family bathroom gains a spa-like look and a large tub-shower, separate toilet room and linen closet
Full Story