Unemployment: 3.28 Million Claims

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Well I guess Trump is #1 at something.

SaveComment29Like
Comments (29)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana H

In all fairness this isn't Trump's fault. His terrible response to the health crisis is all on him but this is what has to happen if the disease is to be contained. What will be inexcusable is if keeps yapping about the economy instead of focusing on the root cause for these horrible job losses and the health of the American people, especially the front line health care workers,

Willing to bet the jerk will say something about this not being his fault, probably blame Obama.......'cause it is always all about him.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Whatever happens during his presidency is on him.

The job of a CEO is to hire the best people you can and then get out of the way and let them do their work. Trump cannot manage the "get out of the way" part. He has NO expertise whatsoever in pandemic response. He should have deferred to the people who know what they are doing. Instead, he had to dip his beak into the fray. Why hasn't he deployed the DPA? Wouldn't that put people back to work? What is his game?

ETA: If he deployed the DPA, maybe medical personnel in NY wouldn't be wearing garbage bags instead of gowns. The DPA has to be done on the Federal level. The governor cannot do it - I am sure he would if he could.

5 Likes Save    
Cindy Outter

How can you say it is not Trump's fault?

USA is way behind the timeline in term of getting Coronavirus, Trump has at least 2 months to handle the situation. Instead, being extremely incompetent, stupid and ignorant, he spent his time attending rallies, attacking his "enemies", scheming political games, mocking warning signs as Democrats Hoax and ignoring medical experts' advices. Even until now, he ignores pleads from governors and mayors for medical supplies, protection gears, equipments and hospital beds.

He has been living in his alternative world, busy attacking China and Chinese by labeling the virus as Wuhan Virus. Instead, he should learn lessons and experiences from those East Asian countries that are first hit by the virus. Yes, initially some of the countries shut down their cities, yet in 2-4 months, they have controls over coronavirus crisis. USA did not have to go through the required initial shutdown like those countries were being forced to, unfortunately, he wasted precious time, let a few coronavirus cases explode into pandemic.

We learned from our customers and suppliers that Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea have flattened the curve, without shutting down their economies.

China made huge mistake by hiding the coronavirus, but they correct their mistakes and take all the right steps to stop the spreading.

Trump blames China, but he has been hiding facts, spreading false information, distorting truth, creating rumors, doing nothing to help Americans, he is 100 times worse than the Chinese Government in its initial phase.

Yes Wuhan Virus, going down the history, Trump will be forever remembered by his failure of handling Wuhan Virus crisis. All the human and economy loss are on Trump.

2 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Willing to bet the jerk will say something about this not being his fault, probably blame Obama.......'cause it is always all about him.

A sure bet that goes without saying, he's ready to blame state governors who ordered more stringent lock down controls on their populations. It'll always be someone's else's fault and his followers will defend him to their death, the textbook actions of a cult.

Save    
Nana H

Is not his fault. It's not anybody's fault...I'm talking specifically of the unemployment numbers, the shutdowns had to happen.

My point is that instead of addressing the issues he will try and focus blame on someone else. It's how he rolls

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Stock market goes up because the impact to average Americans doesn't really matter. Weird.

Save    
Tilly Teabag

It’s a tragedy, those poor workers and their families.

Save    
lurker111

Is not his fault. It's not anybody's fault.

As the left tries to put all the blame on Trump. I do agree that it isn't Trump's fault. He's done everything that could be done, and more. This is our fault. We the People. I hope I have enough food to get through this.

Save    
Cindy Outter

"Is not his fault. It's not anybody's fault...I'm talking specifically of the unemployment numbers, the shutdowns had to happen."

No, the shutdown does not have to happen if he took action earlier. Trump caused the shutdown, unemployment and economy losses, now we and our children, and grandchildren are paying for his mistake AGAIN.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

lol

Save    
Nana H

I agree that Trump's response had been abysmal , worse than abysmal, but the virus was coming no matter what and the closures were inevitable. This is happening in every country not just the US. His culpability is in his lack of proactive response and leadership.......never mind his lack of empathy and sympathy.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

He's done everything that could be done, and more.

Sorry, no. I agree that a lot of this is beyond him but I do find fault with his initial responses and actions in the US.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Lurker, if you are going to use my words use them in context. I said the unemployment numbers are not his fault. That's where my generosity ends. He most certainly has not done everything he could, not even close.

3 Likes Save    
Toby

Isn't it ironic that Trump undid everything that Obama accomplished and now COVID-19 is undoing everything Trump accomplished?

1 Like Save    
Tilly Teabag

What did he accomplish?

1 Like Save    
Toby

Some economic gains during his tenure--low unemployment, high GDP, and record stock market gains.

Save    
Tilly Teabag

That was the same in lots of countries where Trump has no impact. It’s just part of the boom/bust cycle and the world was overdue for a correction.

Save    
Iris GW

High GDP? Nope. Pretty much on par.

1 Like Save    
Cindy Outter

If Trump did not undo what Obama accomplished that could have saved him in many areas especially in handling Coronavirus.

It is undeniable that he does "accomplish" the biggest deficit in the US history. He is leading the country toward bankruptcy, just as he did to his personal business.

1 Like Save    
Toby

Iris, I thought there was a quarter or two when the GDP got close to 4. I guess I bought the RW hype. ;-)

Save    
Cindy Outter

"This is our fault. We the People. ",

Don't use "We" so loosely, you need to add qualifier.

"We" means Trump voters, who handed the responsibility of running the country to an unqualified, ill-prepared host of a silly TV program.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Toby, here's a useful chart.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Helpful ...and truthful

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

He bragged about the employment numbers soon after his inauguration. He made the numbers a huge signal of how great he is at being president.

If he thought employment numbers are an indicator of his success, then they are.

His employment numbers for minority groups was his proof of being supportive of those groups advancing.

And Lurker's taking Nana's words out of context is not unique to lurker or this topic & this tactic hindrance to commenting anything positive on Trump.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

SK flattened their curve quicky - they put "distancing" stuff into play much more quickly than we did here.

And we haven't done anything official on this - at the federal level until maybe yesterday or the day before - when Pence held up that 15 days chart.

Mississippi gov has basically forbidden formal distancing actions in his state in spite of what's happening in Louisiana, right next door.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

The difficulty of overlapping jurisdictions is happening in this area which is why there should be official national direction. My mayor put in place staying regulations but each one of the counties have released slightly different regulations. Probably it is the same in most areas of this country.

Last night a friend from Alabama posted information that the lieutenant governor is directing operations after the governor refused to do anything. It is time to start watching what our political "leaders" are doing no matter what party or level for future leaders of our country also to weed out the ones that are do nothings.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Trump's inaction will make the economic shutdown last longer.

The lockdown would have happened at any rate, but the duration falls squarely on Trump.

2 Likes Save    
Gizmo

oby

Some economic gains during his tenure--low unemployment, high GDP, and record stock market gains.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The same could be said for Obama too - but oddly it was never enough for those on the right.

2 Likes Save    
jojoco(NY 5)

That number will go way up. Far more people tried to sign up online, but the platform wasn't designed to handle that load. They'll be in the next reported numbers.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Saving Water Houzz Tour: Going Completely Off the Grid in Nova Scotia