How Essential are Essential Businesses?

live_wire_oak

Whats truly essential? Groceries? Sure.We gotta eat. Drug stores? Everyone needs their medications. Hardware stores? Yeah, if your hot water heater goes out, you sure need a new one!

So why are grocery stores full of people buying Easter candy and beer? Drug stores are selling a huge amount of makeup and hair color. Hardware stores are breaking sales records by triple digits for paint and home decor products.

All with bored people standing and shopping way too close.

Also if these low paid jobs are so essential, why aren’t they higher paid? $12 an hour vs 7 M. I don’t see any essential business CEO’s like Marvin Ellison coming out of their at home conference calls in their jammies to stand there for 10 hours having customer spittle sprayed their way to ring up the 17 pair of blinds and 3 gallons of paint that Karen and Chad just had to have to fight the stir crazy!

Don’t even get me started that Honeland Security has designated “wood product manufacturing” an essential business. Rest assured that Jim and Paco are making your new custom cabinets!

Stolen from a friend, and composed of realworld idiots.

SaveComment74Like1
Comments (74)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur03

While true I disagree with the meme about plants. In some sections of this country it is already too late to plant some things. Garden centers used to open here March 15 because of this. Our weather has changed now it is April 1 except for this year and some are already open. They are taking precautions but it remains to be seen how much they can enforce their customers to use them.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

I do think this will eventually lead to a new normal. We can’t just jump back into past normal if there is no vaccine to keep most people safe. We will have to determine as a consumer what we are willing to risk for our wants and needs.

Save    
dandyfopp

Curbside pick up and delivery is available at my garden centers. Thank goodness.

3 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Most of the garden centers around here hire people that would not know a determinant tomato from an indeterminant one.

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

I shop nurseries vs. garden centers. Higher level of knowledge. I also grow my own tomato plants -- determinate and indeterminate.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

Up here Pharmacy, Grocery, are about the only essential service shopping opportunities, all others are required to allow online shopping and pick up only. Restaurants are only drive thru.

Our local Sobeys has a sign on the door that they have actually increased the wage of all their employees by $2 per hour to show how much they are valued.

We must do social distancing, we will be fined if we break our 14 day self quarantine. Some provinces have actually taken away driver's licences, and Alta. just put in a fine of possibly a half a million if you are found guilty in court, other than that all other fines range from 1000.00 to 7000.00.

Local stores have tape lines to keep your distance, and they are putting up plexiglass shields to protect the poor clerks from spittle, or the people who are disrespectful and get too close.

3 Likes Save    
huachuma

I purchased my tomato, pepper and other seedlings about two week's ago from a local nursery even though it's not time to plant them for another month or so here in the Central Valley of CA. I bought them so early mainly because I was concerned that they would sell out sooner than normal or wouldn't be available at all once planting time actually arrives due to the Covid-19 scare. I've been moving them outside into the sunlight on days where it's at least 60 F. and then moving them back into the sun room at night. Right now they're sitting out in a light rain which will hopefully will fulfill their water requirements for a few more days. Fortunately our family lives in an area that has a long growing season. In years past we've been able to grow up to 80% of our vegetables ourselves (although not always cheaper that they would have cost at the grocery store; it's also a hobby, what can I say?). But we know that no horrible pesticides or herbacides were used; although we wouldn't be able to claim that our produce was actually "organic".

3 Likes Save    
bpath reads banned books too(5b)

Paint is essential to maintaining a home structure, it protects the wood.

I walked into the drugstore today to pick up a medication and I was there only one there. The grocery store the other day was also not very crowded. Sure, I bought some Easter candy along with the milk and oj, but what are they going to do, shut doesn't selected aisles?

4 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

7 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Paint is essential? I think in this context essential mean essential to your survival.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

Since stores can and do tape off sections when they are renovating they could tape off now. However that one little washer to stop your faucet from running may be on the aisle that contains non-essential stuff.

2 Likes Save    
jlhug

Or the battery to stop your smoke detector from shrieking every five minutes.

3 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

(“But we know that no horrible pesticides or herbacides were used; although we wouldn't be able to claim that our produce was actually "organic".”

Actually if you can show that you’ve sourced organic seeds/nursery stock OR you tried to source it and it wasn’t available, only used products that are on the permitted substances list, and have an inspection you could use the label “organic” in commerce. There is a three year transition period so this year you would be “T-1 Organic” next year “T-2,” etc.

It probably wouldn’t be much use to go through that for a home garden (unless you own an acreage that you want to sell as an on-going organic concern someday) but you can *say* it all you want! Just don’t make the claim if you’re trying to sell something :-) )

1 Like Save    
socks(10a)

Police, fire, electricity, water, gas, pharmacies, grocery stores, deliveries of heating oil and propane for heating, dialysis centers, O2 suppliers, plumbers and electricians for repairs, and more. It takes a lot to keep us going! There are peripheral workers that support all these businesses. So there is a lot that is essential.

6 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Daycare workers for all the above people

5 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

and janitors to clean their workplaces; a much larger job now than it was three months ago I would imagine.

1 Like Save    
elvis

maifleur03

Most of the garden centers around here hire people that would not know a determinant tomato from an indeterminant one.

Not a problem as long as you know the difference. The grocery store people don't know which cereal is best for you, either.

Save    
blfenton

Well, I haven't worn make-up since I started staying at home. I only go out for grocery shopping and my daily walk/run and I don't bother. But before hunkering down I did go to a nursery as I wanted a couple of Hellebores and while there I bought a flat of pansies which I never buy. But knowing that I was going to be stuck at home I bought them, dropped some off at my sons and fiance's place. I put mine in planters right outside our back sliding glass doors for colour.

If the nurseries aren't open at the end of May, flower planting season for us, there will be a lot of upset people. My garden is primarily perennials so I'll have something.

1 Like Save    
live_wire_oak

Employee DIY innovation to enforce some social distancing.

10 Likes Save    
maifleur03

elvis each year in this area the nurseries stock different types of tomatoes. They rotate the types that they supply to avoid fungus problems in home gardens. If we have to go to pickup only there is no way that we would know what the nursery has available. Anything that is labeled as Early I know is determinant but with the thousands of different tomatoes now on the market it is helpful if the staff knows what they are pulling.

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Great. One thread encourages us to be more self sufficient and grow our own vegetables, and this one chides us for shopping for the items needed to do so.

8 Likes Save    
Rina

My feeling is that if you need to go out for really essential goods, there is no harm in picking up non-essential goods at the same time if you can do so while exercising the same precautions. In fact, in a small way it could be a postiive thing in that it helps to keep cash flowing and improve the chances of all sorts of businesses surviving. The aim of lockdown is to minimise the numbers of people who encounter each other -- but that does mean that if you need to go to one store you should not use that as an excuse to visit another, because that would increase the number of people you encounter.

11 Likes Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

My hubby and I are both in essential services not listed by most here- banking and trucking.

Truckers bring EVERYTHING to your community. The banking system lets you pay for it. Banking also allows people and businesses to use loans to stay in business and pay their vendors and staff and overhead.

If SNAP cards allow you to purchase fruit and vegetable plants, I guess plants can be essential.

7 Likes Save    
roxsol

Truckers bring EVERYTHING to your community.

Truckers and railroaders.

8 Likes Save    
blfenton

Someone unclear of the concept that the vast majority of people want to work and do not want to be freeloaders. What a disgusting attitude of people for an elected official to have.

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

17 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Since stores can and do tape off sections when they are renovating they could tape off now. However that one little washer to stop your faucet from running may be on the aisle that contains non-essential stuff.

In our stores they are not taping off sections or deciding which item is essential and which is not, they are taping a line that shows shoppers how far back to stand from the teller while waiting for their goods to be rung up. So sure, if the store such as Walmart has groceries and pharmacy you can certainly buy anything else you like.

They are trying to safe guard employees, they are vulnerable given the obviouse irresponsibility of many shoppers.

Police, fire, electricity, water, gas, pharmacies, grocery stores, deliveries of heating oil and propane for heating, dialysis centers, O2 suppliers, plumbers and electricians for repairs, and more. It takes a lot to keep us going! There are peripheral workers that support all these businesses. So there is a lot that is essential.

Absolutely, I was just focusing on personal shopping. And hats off to the Truckers.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Great. One thread encourages us to be more self sufficient and grow our own vegetables, and this one chides us for shopping for the items needed to do so.

I am not chiding people so I apologize if you think that is the case.

I am chiding govt. who should be vocal with the Social Distancing message, the isolation method and in closing non essential businesses to save lives.

We still can get those items, we just need to obtain them in a different way. Every business that sells those items can still do so, they just have to allow the customer to purchase online, on the phone, or in person outside the store and let the employees fill the order and bring it out.

And most stores, such as Super Store, or Walmart has all those items as well as groceries so you can get them.

2 Likes Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

Roxsol, the trucks bring it from railcars to the stores.

Save    
eccentric(CentralONTCA)

ubro - which provinces have taken away drivers' licences? Are they only taken away from people that have been out of the province (or City depending on where you live). Are they age based? We are in Ontario.

We had to go out yesterday - fortunately, in Ontario, vet clinics are now considered essential - they weren't until this go around - but PET STORES WERE!?? But vet clinics are not considered Essential in every province.

However, vet clinics have to keep the lights on (and have staff) - vets have seriously reduced their hours and staff. I keep track of what is going on in the vet world by checking the governing body for Ontario's website.

All of this came into effect over a matter of a couple of days. I strongly suggest (if you have a pet) that you check your vet clinic's regulating body - and your vet for the current situation.

We too were at Sobeys and Longos yesterday - we had to pick up pet meds - in theory they were not to be reordered for another 15 days but under the circumstances I ordered them - actually I asked first if I could since the vets can only prescribe X many days). Fortunately we could but had to take a different dose than we normally did and break them up. But we can do it.

Since we are in the high risk age group I took a copy of the letter from our vet clinic with us just in case we were stopped by the police! I know I sound paranoid. I also went to the SDM across from the vet clinic and I found some Kleenex and Hydrogen Peroxide - forget finding Rubbing Alcohol - I do have some alcohol wipes but they are small. Basically, if you find something buy it (unless hoarders have resulted in a ridiculous price). We are not hoarders but the stores are very short on basic supplies. Canned foods will be the last to be eaten.

It is a problem having allergies or Asthma these days since you appear to be sick when you are not. I have the former and it is only going to get worse as the season progresses.

I hope everyone manages to keep safe. It is a wonder that I was able to sign on - I can't always even find the website.

2 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag
1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

ubro - which provinces have taken away drivers' licences? Are they only taken away from people that have been out of the province (or City depending on where you live). Are they age based? We are in Ontario.

NL put that into effect yesterday because they had 44 cases linked to one funeral home, it is not all provinces and it is aimed at those who break the quarantine.

eccentric, it is hard, we go shopping for two elderly people and both are on meds, and we are in the age group where we need to be careful, but what to do? Keep our distance, only one of us goes shopping, wipe down what we can.

3 Likes Save    
Lisa

My pool guy came today and I'm glad that's considered an essential service. If the pool water doesn't have the correct chemical balance, it will stagnate and draw mosquitoes. I guess then we'll have a yellow fever pandemic. So, I'm glad pool maintenance is considered essential.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Roxsol, the trucks bring it from railcars to the stores.

Exactly, rail intermodal yards have hundreds of containers that businesses send their trucks to pick up a product. The containers don’t get to the intermodal yards without rail workers. It is a chain effort. Both are essential links in getting food and other necessities to communities.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Railroads are critical to the nation’s food security because they transport the feed for livestock as well as the food we eat. In fact, railroads transport some 1.6 million carloads of food products in a typical year, including approximately:

• 65,000 carloads of fresh fruits and vegetables,
  • 413,000 carloads of grain mill products (such as corn syrup, flour, animal feed, pet food, and more)
  • 239,000 carloads of processed soybeans, mainly soybean meal and soybean oil
  • 235,000 carloads of beverages and extracts
  • 152,000 carloads of canned and prepared foods
  • 74,000 carloads of meat and poultry products
  • 454,000 carloads of other miscellaneous food products.

Save    
maifleur03

Not certain if it is sold in Canada or in all states that stable of many parties in my youth Everclear is labeled as being 95% alcohol, 190 proof. I just checked to see what percentage it is. I used to use it when I was trying to make liqueurs but still have some. I remember it being sticky when it dried on my hands.

Save    
maifleur03

Trucks are also common freight carriers and are not equipped to carry intermodal freight.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

For those who need a smile:

At 7:45 am today at a grocery store that opened at 8 for seniors only. A young man came from the parking lot and tried to cut in at the front of the line, but an old lady beat him back into the parking lot with her cane.

He returned and tried to cut in again but an old man punched him in the gut, then kicked him to the ground and rolled him away.

As he approached the line for the 3rd time he said, "If you don't let me unlock the door, you'll never get in there."

12 Likes Save    
Nana H

I love it !!! Thanks for the laugh, I actually did LOL!

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

maifleur03

Trucks are also common freight carriers and are not equipped to carry intermodal freight.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your comment so forgive me if this is not what you meant.

Trucks can and do carry intermodal containers. The containers are unloaded from the flat rail car and are placed on a chassis and secured. Then the trucker bobtails into the rail intermodal yard and picks it up and delivers it to the consignee. After it is unloaded the trucker either returns it empty to the intermodal yard or takes it to another customer location to be loaded out again.

I work for the RR that is named for our fine city.

2 Likes Save    
Gooster(9)

I think the key is how much of a store should be open that is providing essential products. This was a controversy that arose because Game Stop had stayed open because they sell keyboards and mice. And Joann's also attempted to make some claims of "essential supplies", as did other craft stores. Per reports, Guitar Center is open in many areas. And some sporting good stores in certain states are open because they sell guns, which are included in essential items (perhaps for law enforecement?).

There is also a list of federal essential businesses and suppliers downstream to those businesses are also covered, some of which may not be immediately obvious.

Save    
roxsol

Lone jack, I was a little puzzled by that, too.

I took it to mean that not ALL trucks can carry intermodal containers and that is true.

(Spouse of a career railroader, here :)

2 Likes Save    
steve2416

Bifenton, thank you for mentioning your daily walk/run as being essential to you. I'm 71 and probably wouldn't still be here if not for that - in fact my son called me to make sure I was still doing same recently.

They recently closed my gym - I understood that because of the proximity factor.

1 Like Save    
paprikash

Hair and nails are my personal necessities but I am coping.......

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

paprikash, I read the other day, that with all the beauty salons and nail salons being closed, things are going to start getting really ugly out there. :)))

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

My gray roots have come in full force. What to do? I went to Walgreen's and got a bottle of "Sun In", spray your hair lighter. IT WORKS, cost $5.99. What a savings!!

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I may have a friend give me a buzz cut with his shears in a few weeks. I usually only get my hair cut every 10 weeks or so and was due a few weeks ago. The lady that cuts my hair is a retired Salon owner along with her husband. She has generously continued to cut my hair at her home for the last 4 or 5 years since they retired in their early 70s...probably just because I bring her homemade pickles and Annie's Salsa as well as in season garden goodies. I didn't want to risk their health by asking her to cut my hair back in early March when things started getting scary. I haven't had anyone else cut my hair since I was a teenager!

Save    
maifleur03

Not all big trucks carry intermodal freight is exactly what I meant and what I posted. While intermodal is a large part of the truck industry there are numerous types of trucks from flatbeds, refrigerated units etc. that are used in the trade. roxsol made it sound like intermodal was the only type of trucking freight there is.

Save    
roxsol

roxsol made it sound like intermodal was the only type of trucking freight there is.

My apologies if I did. It definitely wasn’t my intent.

Save    
gsciencechick(8a NC/SC border)

Professional services like accounting and law. Yes, the tax filing deadline has changed, but our accountant is still at his office. DH is still doing real estate closings. I do feel some of these could be postponed, but that's not going to happen. One of the builders has a $200 per day fine if it doesn't close on the day that was agreed upon in the contract. Seriously. But people have sold their home and bought a new one, and they obviously have to go somewhere.

1 Like Save    
matthias_lang

My mate says she is going to call the sheltered workshop across the street from us to ask why they are still doing business. I think they collate and fold fliers and insert cards into advertising, stuff envelopes. When I saw the employees coming out after the workday to catch their buses, they were in no way abiding by any 2 meter spacing.

On the other hand, utilities (phone, electric, natural gas, propane & oil delivery, sewer, water) both private one and public ones are having to petition to be allowed to work!

Save    
grapefruit1_ar

Here in PA gun shops are an essential service. I have not yet figured out why.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

While law is an essential service here, my husband’s firm has a lot of idle departments as the courts are closed. Nothing can be filed.

2 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

Matthias, having worked in Intellectual disability, the lack of structure for some of those people could lead to hanging out in public places with possible unhygienic practises, domestic violence , self harm, anxiety from watching the News, and other problems.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

DH thinks that civil law practice is not an essential service but the firm's railroad representation is.

I'm counting on my horseshoer being here these week. We can easily stay six feet apart.

My vet had 'curbside' service to assess my old pup's lump and limp. I hated not going into the clinic with him, but I just saw a heartwrenching story about a family scattered across the country that couldn't be together at their father's death.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

I'm counting on my horseshoer being here these week. We can easily stay six feet apart.

My daughter has a farrier service. She has been very busy lately. Many of her riding and reining barn owner clients have closed down their lessons and so there are very few human beings around. She’s getting more trims and shoeings done, in a shorter period of time.

A lot of her private horse owners are working from home and are making their regular appointments on time as it is easy to coordinate schedules.

2 Likes Save    
ImWithJoe

roxsol - i am glad she is doing well. i hope it continues. that said, in a previous job, circa 2009, one of my employees was an ex-farrier. sadly, one of the first things the rich let go in a down turn are their horses.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Zeus, well that’s a real spirit lifter. LOL

My daughter has been doing it for over 18 years now. I wouldn’t say her clients are “rich” (well maybe the dressage and the hunter jumpers) :)

Anyhow, she has made an excellent living at it, lots of savings, no debt. She is a real go-getter and will just have to adjust (like everyone else) if she has to. She doesn’t mind hard work. She will be fine.

eta Many horse people, the last thing they would get rid of is their horse. Our county is overrun with cowboys and farmers and pick me up trucks, as well.

2 Likes Save    
ImWithJoe

roxsol - so sorry to be a downer. if she has 18 years in she weathered 2008 and hopefully has the clients to get through this.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Oh, no problem Zeus:)

There are farriers and then there are farriers, ask any horse person.

It isn’t the most stable, pardon the pun, profession. She is also a blacksmith, so there is work in that as well. She’s built a good business and has many good clients.

1 Like Save    
ImWithJoe

blacksmith? i need some iron work. not talking a lot of $ - just a firepit poker and fire pit log grabber. if she does that and can send to US, please DM me. ty

1 Like Save    
Tilly Teabag

My thread loaded, an hour ago but isn’t showing up yet . Guess they’re checking it.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5888646/help-me-to-help-you-please

Save    
Tilly Teabag

Zeus

“blacksmith? i need some iron work. not talking a lot of $ - just a firepit poker and fire pit log grabber. if she does that and can send to US, please DM me. ty”

We would like wrought iron hooks, and belt buckles, too. Bigger stuff would be too expensive to send. We are into medieval. Can message me, too.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Zeus and Tilly, I will keep you in mind should she need some extra work. Like I said, she is very busy right now. She and the other farrier that works with her have pretty full schedules.

eta

Tilly is right as well. Postage would be expensive.

1 Like Save    
Tilly Teabag

Postage would probably be the same as if I bought OS from Etsy. But I tend not to buy heavy items that are big, only small.

I need a bonnet too. We are branching out into Victorian. Bit of a change! Of course the gatherings have been cancelled for the time being. I was looking forward to swanning around in a crinoline, too :)

Save    
Linda

Well, I just cut my hair today, and I really think hair cutting places should be allowed, because my hair doesn't look very good. But they say it's non-essential. By that logic, I sure hope they don't decide that removing skin cancers by a MOHS doctor aren't essential either. I mean, look at my HAIR! No, really, not kidding, I've got another one!

1 Like Save    
Tilly Teabag

Coincidence, I cut Hubby’s hair today, outside on the garden bench, throwing the hair into,the garden bed. Kittten thought it was a grey bird and pounced on it.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

Linda, that is hysterical. My dentist just rescheduled my April cleaning to August. I think she works fewer hours in the summer but yikes. I hate to think of putting it off that long.

I have knee replacement surgery supposedly scheduled for early June. I had pushed it into a warm weather month, after DD's grad and wedding (cancelled/rescheduled), to ensure I could walk outside an hour every day. Since none of these are illness or death, it's actually kind of interesting - like watching a puzzle getting pushed off a table by a cat.

roxsol, yes! I figured my horseshoer would be essential! He's just a darling and so is his dog. My gelding has white front hooves and I'd choose his hoof trim appointment over getting my hair done - and I agree with Linda- what the heck with the hair! Couldn't we all wear masks and gloves and get it done?!

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I grow one basil plant in a pot and it is starting to go to seed. I desperately need to replace it. I was thinking of covering myself head to toe and sneaking off to a nursery to pick up one plant but don't think I should. It would take too long for the seeds on the existing plant to be good for planting. I hope I don't have to resort to snipped store basil - I would hate that.

Save    
maifleur03

Some basils will rejuvenate if you pinch the second leaf set below where you see the flower stalk. You might try that with this one and see.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. I also snipped a stem that wasn't woody and stuck it in water. Unfortunately it's only about 2" long but if I could get it to root that's all I need to start a new plant.

Save    
HamiltonGardener

In my experience, all basils should be snipped regularly. Wherever you snip just above two leaves, it will grow two new branches. Any branches going to flower should be snipped immediately.

thats the only way to get a bushy basil.

3 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

Basiiiillll!

2 Likes Save    
elvis

My potted basil is 3 years old. Just keep harvesting.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
For Pros Why Working Remotely With Clients May Become a Business Essential
Design pros share how they’ve adapted to connecting with clients virtually, and why they’ll keep it up
Full Story
Shop Houzz Quick-Ship Remodeling Essentials With Free Shipping
By Houzz
Shop easy updates and get same-day shipping on all orders placed by 4 p.m. EDT on business days
See Products
Shop Houzz Quick-Ship Bathroom Essentials With Free Shipping
By Houzz
Shop bath essentials in every finish — get free same-day shipping on all orders placed by 12 p.m. EDT on business days
See Products