Spain’s death count surpasses China’s; and other updates

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Selections from the WashPost Coronavirus Updates Newsletter:

------------------------

"The national death toll in Spain surpassed 3,400 on Wednesday, making it the world’s hardest-hit country after Italy. Deputy Prime Minister Carmen Calvo, 62, tested positive for the novel coronavirus and has been hospitalized since Sunday with a respiratory infection. And in Madrid, where the city’s funeral service temporarily stopped accepting the corpses of those infected, an ice rink has been turned into a makeshift morgue.

[. . .]

Here are some significant developments:

• . . . political leaders in Washington reached an agreement on a record $2 trillion stimulus package to rescue the economy.
  • The stimulus deal reached in the Senate includes far less financial assistance for states to prepare for 2020 elections amid the risk of disruption by the pandemic than Democrats said would be necessary. It does not include mandates Democrats had hoped for, including offering all voters mail-in ballots and, if an election is held during a national emergency, sending a mail-in ballot to every registered voter.
  • New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D) expressed skepticism that the state’s businesses would be able to reopen by Easter, a day after President Trump said he wants the whole country “opened up.” “I hope he’s right. I hope we get to April 12 and this is a transformed world, but the data that we’re looking at does not suggest that,” Murphy said.
  • More than 435,000 people around the world have tested positive for the novel coronavirus. But it is not mutating significantly as it circulates through the human population, according to scientists who are closely studying the pathogen’s genetic code. That relative stability is encouraging news for researchers hoping to create a long-lasting vaccine."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/25/coronavirus-latest-news/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

--------------------------------

I do wish that proposal for sending a mail-in ballot to every registered voters during a national emergency had passed, but I am glad at least to hear that the virus is evidently stable enough that scientists may be able to create a vaccine--let's hope!

But turning the skating rinks of Madrid into morgues because they have too many dead bodies to dispose of--that is gruesome!

Kate

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

And it's "coming to a theater near you" - look at what is happening in New York. Meanwhile one of my tenants went down to the local waterfront*, came back to report that numbers of people were walking up and down it. Including parents toting infants.

La La La, La La La

He also said 4 sets of police officers were stopping them and telling them to go home.

*To sit in his truck and look out at the view, I guess

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Madrid's hospitals are completely overwhelmed. After Madrid, Catalunya is next for the number of cases. I hope Madrid and Catalunya work cooperatively despite the ongoing tensions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52036836

The number of deaths rose by 738 in 24 hours - a daily record - to 3,434, higher than the 683 announced in Italy.

By comparison, China has officially reported 3,285 deaths, while Italy – the worst affected country – has 6,820.

Spain's rate of infection has increased by a fifth and almost 27,000 people are being treated in hospital.

Madrid is the country's worst affected region but Catalonia in the north-east has seen a rapid increase in cases.

Save    
ubro(2a)

And unfortunately today, the Worldometer of corona virus as just put the US death rate per M people, higher than China's.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
My Houzz My Houzz: A Paean to the 1950s and '60s in Pennsylvania
With vintage furniture, a sunken den and pristine original details, this home is a true homage to midcentury style
Full Story
Data Watch Data Watch: What’s Great, and What’s Not, About a Smaller Home
Houzz asked more than 200 U.S. homeowners about life in 1,000 square feet or less. Here’s what they said
Full Story
Holidays My Houzz: Traditional Christmas Charm in an Updated 1840s Home
A couple with grown children have filled their warm and inviting forever home with antiques and sweet holiday touches
Full Story