The Wuhan virus shtick is getting old.

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

According to Der Spiegel, the G7 foreign ministers haven't been able to agree on a joint statement because of Pompeo's insistence it refer to #coronavirus as the "Wuhan virus". Pompeo did not deny that this morning - said G7 don't agree on everything

SaveComment83Like1
Comments (83)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Looks like the G6 needs to issue a statement then.

10 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Everyone on the planet should know by now what "coronavirus" means, stick with that rather than confuse people even more than they already are.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

When I tell you I had the West Nile virus, does that me me a raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist?

Save    

What does it have to do with West Nile virus or racism?

The disease is called COVID-19. The virus name is something complicated that I can’t remember.

What is Wuhan virus?

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

What does it have to do with West Nile virus or racism?

The disease is called COVID-19. The virus name is something complicated that I can’t remember.

What is Wuhan virus?

West Nile is to Uganda as Wuhan is to China.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

This whole thing is stupid. BOTH sides.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Why can I say that I had West Nile virus and my cousin has Lyme's Disease and my neighbor had MERS, but I can't say Wuhan Virus?

Asking for a friend.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

It does no good to play politics with names of a virus unless we are working with countries to stop practices that allow these types of viruses to start. It has been said US may be the next epicenter. Why are we pointing fingers when we may need help going forward?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/health/coronavirus-state-actions-wednesday/index.html

4 Likes Save    

West Nile is called West Nile so that is what it is referred to as in official communications; not Uganda Virus.

COVID-19 is called COVID-19 and that is what it should be referred to as in official communications.

“West Nile is to Uganda as Wuhan is to China.” This analogy is false and would be marked incorrect if given as an answer on a test. West Nile is a *region* in Uganda. Wuhan is a *city* in China. They do not equate.

5 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

West Nile is to the origin of West Nile virus as China is to the origin of the China Virus, or Wuhan virus.

Both are geographically correct, but the Leftists want everything to be about victimhood and controlling language.

The is NO difference.

Oh, and it's HILARIOUS that the Leftists are suddenly using Asians as a wedge when just a few months ago, they could go pound sand if they wanted their efforts and test scores to get them into Harvard instead of their deserved slots going to "people of color", ie: hispanics and blacks.

Suddenly Asians are allowed to go to the front of the Progressive Bus.

Interesting this.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Why can I say that I had West Nile virus and my cousin has Lyme's Disease and my neighbor ha MERS, but I can't say Wuhan Virus?

Because Wuhan Virus is not the name of Covid-19. Just like Lyme’s Disease is not the name of Lyme Disease. One mistake is a case of ignorance, the other out of disparagement. I would expect a G7 statement to use the accepted term. Personally I don’t care what that term is, Wuhan Virus would have worked for me, but it’s not the accepted term. Deal.

8 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

We’ve been down
this road before, too many times. In the 14th century the Black Death
provoked mass violence against Jews, Catalans, clerics and beggars; when
syphilis spread in the 15th century, it was called variously the
Neapolitan, French, Polish and German disease, depending on who was
pointing the blame; when the plague struck Honolulu in 1899, officials
burned down Chinatown. And so on, down to our times, when epidemics like
Ebola, SARS and Zika fueled animus toward specific regions or peoples.

Here we are in 2020, withAsians being assailed across the United States
and around the world as purported sources of the “Chinese flu,” the
“Wuhan coronavirus” or simply the “foreign virus.” Once again, a
mysterious, fast-spreading and sometimes lethal disease is exacerbating
racism and hatred — only now with the help of the potent megaphone of
social media.

A time of great fear and danger requires
solidarity, humanity, sacrifice and hope, and not hysteria or hatred.
That should be the message of the world’s political, social, religious
and corporate leaders as they race to find ways to cope with the lethal
virus. Many leaders have done just that.

It is more than unfortunate, then, that President Trump, some members of
his cabinet and some conservative politicians have opted to fan the
bigotry by deliberately using the term “Wuhan virus” or “Chinese virus.”
Mr. Trump, who spent previous months calling it the coronavirus, started defending the use of “Chinese virus” last week. Photographs of a text of the speech he was reading seemed to show “Corona” lined out and “Chinese” written in the president’s hand. Mr. Trump tweeted support of theAsian-American community on Monday, but his many supporters online had already embraced his formulation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/opinion/china-coronavirus-racism.html

Save    
HU-885118952

Now do MERS.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

From the Left who invokes Chernobyl at every turn, lol.

Save    
1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Trump’s new fixation on using a racist name for the coronavirus is dangerous

The president is stoking xenophobia with his rhetoric about the coronavirus.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Why West Nile & not Wuhan?

Because this is the 21st century and the WHO knows naming based in geography creates lingering discrimination issues.

"West Nile virus was first identified in 1937 in Uganda in eastern Africa..."

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

You notice what the Leftists and MSDNC media refuse to address? China's agitprop about the Wuhan Virus being brought to China by the U.S. Military.

They'll let that go.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Silly. Everyone knows that’s BS and I’m like to think if it’s stated officially somewhere it’s called out as such.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

What people dont' seem to realize is that President Trump has a reason for everything he says and does when he says it and does it.

Just earlier this week I heard President Trump praise China at a press conference.

Much to the naysayer's perpetual chagrin, it has worked.

Fact is, I don't know of one Trump supporter that cares a bit what the haters think about him. The left has stayed in knots since before he was elected.

It's actually entertainment.

4 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Lots of people like to watch disasters.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

I was listening to trump yesterday (well, not all of it but some) and the day before and I only heard him refer to it as "the virus" with no identifying name in front. I could easily have missed other statements though.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

President Trump has a reason for everything he says and does when he says it and does it.

The problem is that Trump's reasons are often for his personal benefit, and not for the good of the country.

13 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Oh no doubt he has a reason- and it is the same as ever.

What is good for Donnie?

10 Likes Save    

“You notice what the Leftists and MSDNC media refuse to address? China's agitprop about the Wuhan Virus being brought to China by the U.S. Military.

They'll let that go.”

Start a thread about that if you want to discuss it.

This thread is about the G7 being unable to issue a statement about COVID-19 because one player won’t acquiesce to the accepted name: a name that causes no offence, accurately depicts the nature of the disease, and is easily understood and pronounced in most major languages.

9 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Because this is the 21st century and the WHO knows naming based in geography creates lingering discrimination issues."

WHO can encourage the use of the Covid 19 name, but where is it written the US is required to follow the recommendation?

If WHO wants to take that approach, so be it. Obscuring a fact like where a virus came from, would be a good way to dumb down a population. I'm OK with President Trump refusing to play that game.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Obscuring a fact like where a virus came from, would be a good way to dumb down a population.

As if the US news had not been reporting the epidemic as it spread through China -- for months.

6 Likes Save    

It's so childish. What a surprise from someone who has childish nicknames for everyone. He and Pompeo need to get a grip.

4 Likes Save    

“WHO can encourage the use of the Covid 19 name, but where is it written the US is required to follow the recommendation?”

Nowhere.

“I'm OK with President Trump refusing to play that game.”

And I’m OK with the G6 issuing a statement without the United States as a signatory. As per my first comment.

2 Likes Save    
Kitchenwitch111

What people dont' seem to realize is that President Trump has a reason for everything he says and does when he says it and does it.

In this case Trump's reason is to put a foreign face on the virus and no matter what happens here it's not his fault. He always needs someone else to blame.

4 Likes Save    
blfenton

Not using the proper accepted scientific name for a disease that is being used by the rest of the world is what will dumb down and create an ignorant population.

10 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Obscuring a fact like where a virus came from, would be a good way to dumb down a population.

The name does not need to reflect where it came from, that is what history books are for.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Dandy, I think you might be right about Trump trusting Xi.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"As if the US news had not been reporting the epidemic as it spread through China -- for months."

Not in dispute.

As often happens, reporters and newspapers themselves included informal names in headlines and stories, including locations, like "Wuhan Virus."

WHO would like to substitute other names in an effort not to offend, but has yet to find a way to do that. I wouldn't expect people fed up with globalist PC directives to have a problem with President Trump calling the virus whatever he likes.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200214-coronavirus-swine-flu-and-sars-how-viruses-get-their-names

Save    
Karen S. (7b, NYC)(NYC, zone 6)

The media scholar in my Family suggests he's vilifying the Chinese to be his new enemy. Then, for the next election he & his can have an enemy all revved up on whom to focus their hate as they can't possibly consider running w/out a clearly defined enemy on whom he can blame things, since nothing is EVER Donnie's fault. Sounds pretty spot on to me.

2 Likes Save    
Cindy Outter

Isn't Trump a billionaire, where is his donation to our country?

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

For a while now I’ve made an effort not to refer to Trump as anything other than Trump, President Trump, the president, etc. But now that I’m thinking about it, the fact is that he’s fat. So I’m going to start calling him Fat Trump. Mind you, I have nothing against fat people, heck I’m fat myself. So, nothing wrong with it, just stating a fact. And it differentiates him from other Trumps who are not fat. Fat Trump it is.

ETA - that’s sarcasm. I’m not going to do it. Because while factually accurate, I recognize that it might be offensive to some. And I’m not a jerk like that.

8 Likes Save    
Karen S. (7b, NYC)(NYC, zone 6)

No, he's just a wanna be billionaire. I suspect that's part of why he won't allow his tax returns to be shared. So we don't learn the hundreds of millions he's lost over the last 25 yrs., as well as how far from a billionaire he actually is.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

He doesn't take a salary for being our wonderful president.

Save    

I’d rather pay the person who is working for me. Have you ever tried to fire a volunteer? It’s damn hard.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Yes he does.

4 Likes Save    
Gizmo

adoptedbyhounds

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Small price to pay for making money off of playing golf

3 Likes Save    
heri_cles

Two words:

Racist intent.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I’m not convinced of that, heri. I think it has more to do with blame.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Yeah that’s part of why the unifying president does it, too.

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Really, I am not going to let the left railroad me into anything especially if they label it RACIST. You get what you ask for.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

When the left starts to unify, then we can talk. It is a two way street, and the right need to be treated well too ;))

1 Like Save    
Cindy Outter

I think everything stems from getting elected... feeding racism, xenophobia, divisiveness, blame shifting to his cult.

Save    
lurker111

Wuhan virus is fine with me. I learned it from CNN.

4 Likes Save    
Cindy Outter

"He doesn't take a salary"

Jake Ma did not get salary from us either, but he has made lots of donations to many countries including ours. Same as Warren Buffett, Michael Bloomberg, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos...etc. May be it is the difference between real and fake billionaires.

9 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I think everything stems from getting elected... feeding racism, xenophobia, divisiveness, blame shifting to his cult.

Wuhan virus

Wuhan virus

Wuhan virus

Wuhan virus

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Mixed signals coming from Trump are causing problems for Chinese in US.

As the coronavirus upends American life, Chinese-Americans face a double threat. Not only are they grappling like everyone else with how to avoid the virus itself, they are also contending with growing racism in the form of verbal and physical attacks. Other Asian-Americans — with families from Korea, Vietnam, the Philippines, Myanmar and other places — are facing threats, too, lumped together with Chinese-Americans by a bigotry that does not know the difference.

• Thanks for reading The Times.

Subscribe to The Times

In interviews over the past week, nearly two dozen Asian-Americans across the country said they were afraid — to go grocery shopping, to travel alone on subways or buses, to let their children go outside. Many described being yelled at in public — a sudden spasm of hate that is reminiscent of the kind faced by American Muslims, Arabs and South Asians in the United States after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

But unlike in 2001, when President George W. Bush urged tolerance of American Muslims, this time President Trump is using language that Asian-Americans say is inciting racist attacks.

Mr. Trump and his Republican allies are intent on calling the coronavirus “the Chinese virus,” rejecting the World Health Organization’s guidance against using geographic locations when naming illnesses, since past names have provoked a backlash.

NYT

Save    
Kathy

It’s as if Trump is giving a middle finger to WHO.

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Like that's a positive thing, nyuk.

3 Likes Save    
maifleur03

How many of you have either had a flu or had friends that had a flu like illness within the past two years that have the same symptoms that have been described with this virus? I know of several that did not test positive when tested for the flu and other things. Be a little cautious with labeling where this virus came from. If it did originate here it will bite us.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

I had severe chills and nausea last fall. It was over quickly within 24 hours and I had a low grade fever. Then slight hacky dry cough off and on til this day. Was it Covid-19? Now I wonder. How do I know if I am infectious to others? It is worrisome.

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

I am so amazed at how well the Chinese propaganda machine is working. Soon we'll have Americans agreeing that the Wuhan virus came from US laboratories.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Do we have any idea how long this virus was circulating around the world before it became a epidemic in China?

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

At this point I have no reason to doubt its initial transmission to humans was in China.

3 Likes Save    
Cindy Outter

Here is an article addresses the question "what is the origin of the virus", but it did not provide definite answers. In fact, the answers are somewhat bothersome, I highlighted the area with bold font.

COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic has a natural originDate:March 17, 2020

Source:Scripps Research Institute

Summary:An analysis of public genome sequence data from SARS-CoV-2 and related viruses found no evidence that the virus was made in a laboratory or otherwise engineered.The novel SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus that emerged in the city of Wuhan, China, last year and has since caused a large scale COVID-19 epidemic and spread to more than 70 other countries is the product of natural evolution, according to findings published today in the journal Nature Medicin

The analysis of public genome sequence data from SARS-CoV-2 and related viruses found no evidence that the virus was made in a laboratory or otherwise engineered.

"By comparing the available genome sequence data for known coronavirus strains, we can firmly determine that SARS-CoV-2 originated through natural processes," said Kristian Andersen, PhD, an associate professor of immunology and microbiology at Scripps Research and corresponding author on the paper.

In addition to Andersen, authors on the paper, "The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2," include Robert F. Garry, of Tulane University; Edward Holmes, of the University of Sydney; Andrew Rambaut, of University of Edinburgh; W. Ian Lipkin, of Columbia University.

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that can cause illnesses ranging widely in severity. The first known severe illness caused by a coronavirus emerged with the 2003 Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) epidemic in China. A second outbreak of severe illness began in 2012 in Saudi Arabia with the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

On December 31 of last year, Chinese authorities alerted the World Health Organization of an outbreak of a novel strain of coronavirus causing severe illness, which was subsequently named SARS-CoV-2. As of February 20, 2020, nearly 167,500 COVID-19 cases have been documented, although many more mild cases have likely gone undiagnosed. The virus has killed over 6,600 people.

Shortly after the epidemic began, Chinese scientists sequenced the genome of SARS-CoV-2 and made the data available to researchers worldwide. The resulting genomic sequence data has shown that Chinese authorities rapidly detected the epidemic and that the number of COVID-19 cases have been increasing because of human to human transmission after a single introduction into the human population. Andersen and collaborators at several other research institutions used this sequencing data to explore the origins and evolution of SARS-CoV-2 by focusing in on several tell-tale features of the virus.

The scientists analyzed the genetic template for spike proteins, armatures on the outside of the virus that it uses to grab and penetrate the outer walls of human and animal cells. More specifically, they focused on two important features of the spike protein: the receptor-binding domain (RBD), a kind of grappling hook that grips onto host cells, and the cleavage site, a molecular can opener that allows the virus to crack open and enter host cells.

Evidence for natural evolution

The scientists found that the RBD portion of the SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins had evolved to effectively target a molecular feature on the outside of human cells called ACE2, a receptor involved in regulating blood pressure. The SARS-CoV-2 spike protein was so effective at binding the human cells, in fact, that the scientists concluded it was the result of natural selection and not the product of genetic engineering.

This evidence for natural evolution was supported by data on SARS-CoV-2's backbone -- its overall molecular structure. If someone were seeking to engineer a new coronavirus as a pathogen, they would have constructed it from the backbone of a virus known to cause illness. But the scientists found that the SARS-CoV-2 backbone differed substantially from those of already known coronaviruses and mostly resembled related viruses found in bats and pangolins.

"These two features of the virus, the mutations in the RBD portion of the spike protein and its distinct backbone, rules out laboratory manipulation as a potential origin for SARS-CoV-2" said Andersen.

Josie Golding, PhD, epidemics lead at UK-based Wellcome Trust, said the findings by Andersen and his colleagues are "crucially important to bring an evidence-based view to the rumors that have been circulating about the origins of the virus (SARS-CoV-2) causing COVID-19."

"They conclude that the virus is the product of natural evolution," Goulding adds, "ending any speculation about deliberate genetic engineering."

Possible origins of the virus

Based on their genomic sequencing analysis, Andersen and his collaborators concluded that the most likely origins for SARS-CoV-2 followed one of two possible scenarios.

In one scenario, the virus evolved to its current pathogenic state through natural selection in a non-human host and then jumped to humans. This is how previous coronavirus outbreaks have emerged, with humans contracting the virus after direct exposure to civets (SARS) and camels (MERS). The researchers proposed bats as the most likely reservoir for SARS-CoV-2 as it is very similar to a bat coronavirus. There are no documented cases of direct bat-human transmission, however, suggesting that an intermediate host was likely involved between bats and humans.

In this scenario, both of the distinctive features of SARS-CoV-2's spike protein -- the RBD portion that binds to cells and the cleavage site that opens the virus up -- would have evolved to their current state prior to entering humans. In this case, the current epidemic would probably have emerged rapidly as soon as humans were infected, as the virus would have already evolved the features that make it pathogenic and able to spread between people.

In the other proposed scenario, a non-pathogenic version of the virus jumped from an animal host into humans and then evolved to its current pathogenic state within the human population. For instance, some coronaviruses from pangolins, armadillo-like mammals found in Asia and Africa, have an RBD structure very similar to that of SARS-CoV-2. A coronavirus from a pangolin could possibly have been transmitted to a human, either directly or through an intermediary host such as civets or ferrets.

Then the other distinct spike protein characteristic of SARS-CoV-2, the cleavage site, could have evolved within a human host, possibly via limited undetected circulation in the human population prior to the beginning of the epidemic. The researchers found that the SARS-CoV-2 cleavage site, appears similar to the cleavage sites of strains of bird flu that has been shown to transmit easily between people. SARS-CoV-2 could have evolved such a virulent cleavage site in human cells and soon kicked off the current epidemic, as the coronavirus would possibly have become far more capable of spreading between people.

Study co-author Andrew Rambaut cautioned that it is difficult if not impossible to know at this point which of the scenarios is most likely. If the SARS-CoV-2 entered humans in its current pathogenic form from an animal source, it raises the probability of future outbreaks, as the illness-causing strain of the virus could still be circulating in the animal population and might once again jump into humans. The chances are lower of a non-pathogenic coronavirus entering the human population and then evolving properties similar to SARS-CoV-2.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200317175442.htm

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

At this point I have no reason to doubt its initial transmission to humans was in China.

Hence the Wuhan China Flu.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

It has been named Covid-19 (edited to correct). What’s the problem with calling what the official name is?

Save    
petalique

Would the person/s behaving like baiting adolescents return to the canopy of the overpass, read, think, heal their psyches and strive toward behaving maturely?

Read some Covid-19 suffering, of front line medical workers putting their lives and those of their families in jeopardy across the globe. People with loved ones in hospitals and nursing homes and because of how infectious this viral pneumonia is, they cannot visit to give hope and comfort. Or peoples’ loved ones dying alone. Funerals cannot safely be attended. In some countries the military is asked to come for the corpses, some victims’ bodies must be buried in mass graves, solemnities and tombstones put on hold. Orphans are being created.

So, you still feel cutely playful about peppering a thread with nonsense.

Play this one and giggle up a storm:

*** Georgia hospital worker with coronavirus found dead at home with her child by her body ***

Diedre Wilkes was a mammogram technician at a Coweta County, Georgia, hospital. Her body was found in the living room of her home in the Atlanta Area.

March 25, 2020, 10:50 AM EDT / Updated March 25, 2020, 12:02 PM EDT

A 42-year-old hospital worker in Georgia who had coronavirus was found dead in her home with her 4-year-old child by her body.

Diedre Wilkes' body was discovered Thursday in the living room of her home in Newnan, about 40 miles southwest of Atlanta, after a family member called the Coweta County Sheriff's Office requesting a welfare check, the coroner, Richard Hawk, told NBC News on Wednesday.

❗️It's believed she died 12 to 16 hours before she was found, the coroner said.

A posthumous coronavirus test was conducted and came back positive for COVID-19, according to Hawk. Wilkes did not have any known underlying health conditions, and an autopsy is being conducted, he said.

Wilkes worked as a mammogram technician at Piedmont Newnan Hospital, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

A hospital spokesperson said in a statement Wednesday that the staff was "deeply saddened when the coroner notified us ... of the sudden passing of our colleague."

The hospital said that out of an abundance of caution it contacted employees and patients Wilkes may have had contact with.

"Piedmont is providing these individuals with detailed information for self-monitoring and will offer COVID-19 testing to those who request it," the statement read. "This employee did not work in an area treating known or suspected COVID-19 patients. Our thoughts and prayers are with the employee’s family during this difficult time."

Georgia has more than 1,000 confirmed coronavirus cases, according to the state's Department of Public Health. As of Tuesday night, the number of deaths in the state totaled 38.

According to the Journal-Constitution, Wilkes' death and that of a 48-year-old health care worker are the first fatalities from the virus among the state's medical personnel. The outlet reported that the 48-year-old worker died Thursday at a Florida hospital.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coronavirus-georgia-mom-who-worked-hospital-found-dead-home-her-n1168386

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

petalique

Would the person/s behaving like baiting adolescents return to the canopy of the overpass, read, think, heal their psyches and strive toward behaving maturely?

LOL- I know you are speaking to me so I will address:

Listen- I am doing my part with social distancing. I have been out very little for essentials. If I chose to have a bit of silly, that is my choice. No one likes to hear constant horror stories. I will not be healthy for some.

Do your part, keep safe, follow the rules, but sitting on a forum telling death stories is not going to do any good for mental health.

Save    
queenmargo

People reading and feeling nothing but doom and gloom will be part of the problem where the cure will produce a bigger problem.

Would you go to the hospital to visit a patient and tell them death stories? People are anxious right now, just posting macabre is not helping that angst.

Save    
dandyfopp

Very sad petalique... that poor child.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Wilkes did not have any known underlying
health conditions, and an autopsy is being conducted, he said.

I'm sure it was something else. Sudden death is not a sign of Covid 19. She was a health care worker and I'm sure she wouldn't have ignored the symptoms and risked the life of her child.

Save    

Insert here:

Picture of ostrich with head in sand.

1 Like Save    
Tilly Teabag

Lurker, the virus can go from moderate to critical in a day. Also, perhaps she was afraid to stop work, or be quarantined because of financial reasons. Perhaps she could not get a babysitter.

Save    
Tilly Teabag

Margo, death stories could save lives if they stop blasé people from going on with “business as usual”.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Your guess is as good as mine. I'll wait and see. This would be a devastating development. I agree that she might have known that she had it and risked everything. There are people like that. However, the article clearly states "sudden death". They've already retracted the story about the 18 yo boy. Seems he died from something else.

Save    
dandyfopp

Sudden is a word I have seen in several accounts of the illness turning fatal.

You think you are dealing- until you aren't.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

However, the article clearly states "sudden death".

Where? The only place the word sudden appears is "deeply saddened when the coroner notified us ... of the sudden passing of our colleague." A common usage where sudden means nothing more than unexpected. The article doesn’t say anything about the last time she was heard from.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Sudden passing = sudden death. We aren't talking about gas. I doubt a healthcare worker would knowingly put their child at risk. I'll wait for the report.

Save    
foodonastump

If you get a cough today and die next Thursday I’d expect people to speak of your sudden death.

That said, I don’t know more than anyone else here what happened, and there’s a good chance we’ll never know. None of which has any bearing petalique’s objection to this pettiness.

4 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Knowingly is a key word.

How long does it take to show symptoms? And if you have been the sole caregiver of your child he or she is already exposed in the time it takes to show those symptoms. The millions of tests have never appeared.

We don't know what this womans situation was.

What is the point anyway?

She has died. It may have been covid 19 or not. If so, she will be one of many.

If not, she may have died for want of treatment for whatever it was since the hospitals are being engulfed.

Stay well.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

It's all speculation. With the way it's presented, it just doesn't sound right.

Save    
lurker111

No one said it was.

Medical Definition of sudden death... Unexpected death that is instantaneous or occurs within minutes or hours from any cause other than violence.

Wilkes did not have any known underlying health conditions

Like I said, there are people who will just sit back and hope they get better, regardless of who they put at risk.

I'll wait for the autopsy. I doubt she would risk the life of her child, especially because of her medical experience and the times we're living in.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Do we have any idea how long this virus was circulating around the world before it became a epidemic in China?"

Kathy,

Aside from Chinese propaganda, where have you heard that the Covid19 virus came from anywhere other than China, or that it was circulating anywhere prior to its discovery in Wuhan?

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/why-most-deadly-viruses-arise-in-africa-or-asia

Save    
blfenton

lurker111

Wuhan virus is fine with me. I learned it from CNN.

And they no longer are calling it that. Like so many, when they learned the scientific by which the virus was to be known by, they started to use it. It appears though, that many are not able to do that.

Even trump, as I mentioned waaaay up thread, is no longer calling it the chinese virus but merely "the virus" even yesterday it's how he is now referring to it as.

Save    
Kathy

ABH

I never said I thought it came from anywhere else. I do think it had spread far and wide before China exploded with it. I’m just trying to figure how far back into 2019 we might have had cases already in US.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

It shouldn't be hard to find out when people started dying from it. I'm sure the timeline we have established for it is pretty accurate.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Do we have any idea how long this virus was circulating around the world before it became a epidemic in China?"

Kathy, Your question begins with the assumption the virus was circulating around the world and then became an epidemic in China. Glad to know that's not what you meant.

1 Like Save